Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: This Forum Has Changed A Lot page 28

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Because that's the only thing that is tea.

M.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    Because that's the only thing that is tea.

M.
    Technically, yes, that's true. But... It's more the way I feel completely different when drinking mate vs. tea that makes me make the difference.

They are both chemically and nutritionally completely different substances. They are not just sources of a quick "caffeine" fix. The science behind both of these herbs is absolutely fascinating.

Adding a few hundred milligrams of suntheanine along both your yerba mate is an experience everyone should try at least once in their life too.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Very plain, bitter, and you couldn't really doctor it up with anything to make it taste good.
    That's exactly how I drink my mate actually! But... Man, there are thirty bajillion varieties just based on where it's grown and how it's processed too. Kind of like with tea.

The leaves have to be dried of course, and they can be either barbecued, smoked, or air dried, all of which can completely change the flavor of the resultant brew. If anyone here is a fan of the smokey lapsang souchong teas then they want barbecued mate which has the strongest smokey flavors. If you like coffee, that's more your thing, then the regular and traditionally smoked varieties are going to be for you. If you like the grassy tastes of a good green tea then you want to go for the air dried stuff.

That's the thing with yerba mate... You can't just assume that if you've tried one, you've tried them all. I have two mates I am going through right now. One is "Taragui - full leaf quality" meaning it has no stems, only leaves and it was smoked. It is bitter, but not overpoweringly so. The other one is "Rosamonte - Seleccion Especial" which is a barbecued mate with stems. It has a kind of woody flavor to it and since it is barbecued, very deep and smokey notes. It's the perfect cuppa for a cold winter evening (of which we had plenty this past year).

Also, you can change how it tastes based on how you brew it. Hot brewing extracts more antioxidants and minerals from the leaves, but it also extracts more tannins and caffeine, the bitter flavor components. If you like that then go for it! Then again, you can steep the leaves overnight in cold water too. This extracts less of everything in the leaves but gives a less bitter, grassy flavor and results in a cup that is much smoother in flavor.

Also, as any Chinese or Japanese person would say about tea, always use high quality water when making your brew because low-quality water with lots of contaminants can negatively impact the flavor of your beverage. This is true when you realize that the nasty shit in your water is indeed getting into your tea. So at the very least you want a good filter to filter your mate water.

Yeah, yeah... You can mock me all I want. I know I'm a nerd with this stuff.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    Omg guys I'm drooling... Putting the hot water kettle on.

That must be why I like mate. I prefer black to green/white most of the time, though I'll drink them all (kinda like liquor hehe). There's just more depth, variance, and personality in the darker varieties.

Although, in Jeju, Korea, they toast their green teas. Korean tea in general is a wholenother beast. The royalty banned "tea" for everyone else (go figure), so they got really creative. If you have a chance to try some of the odder types definitely do. I'd skip a lot of the grain teas, not because of paleo, because let's be honest, grok didn't sip earl grey OR scotch. I do lol. But the grain teas are honestly pretty bland. My favorite Korean "teas" are the herbs, flowers, and berries. Omija is my favorite, and it's made with a berry, very tart and a little winey.

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    ThREAd JACk!

Quote Originally Posted by RittenRemedy View Post
    Omg guys I'm drooling... Putting the hot water kettle on.

That must be why I like mate. I prefer black to green/white most of the time, though I'll drink them all (kinda like liquor hehe). There's just more depth, variance, and personality in the darker varieties.

Although, in Jeju, Korea, they toast their green teas. Korean tea in general is a wholenother beast. The royalty banned "tea" for everyone else (go figure), so they got really creative. If you have a chance to try some of the odder types definitely do. I'd skip a lot of the grain teas, not because of paleo, because let's be honest, grok didn't sip earl grey OR scotch. I do lol. But the grain teas are honestly pretty bland. My favorite Korean "teas" are the herbs, flowers, and berries. Omija is my favorite, and it's made with a berry, very tart and a little winey.
    I'm a tea nerd too, as evidenced by this:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84070.html

Perhaps I need to get on a "mate" version of this thread now.

By the way, what's your current mate of choice and where do you get it? Where's your local mate source?

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Hey Drumroll, here's a tea nerd question for ya--my kids are getting into tea but we switch up regular black with decaf (they're 9 and 11). When they decaffeinate the tea, does it also remove the L-theanine?

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    The day all the fighting’s dies completely is the end of this place, when it will be too boring to visit the forums and it will disappear with a big YAWN…
    Healthy debate is always good.

We just need more people to post about controversial topics to encourage more discussion.

TQP
    TQP is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    Healthy debate is always good.

We just need more people to post about controversial topics to encourage more discussion.
    People who lift heavy are suckers.

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post
    People who lift heavy are suckers.
    That's why I do Cross-Fit.

Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast