Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Salmon fishcakes page 2

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I made salmon cakes this week.... I few things that I did differently: I added a bit of almond flour, quite a bit of dried coconut, shallots (vice onions), fresh basil, freshly grated parm and turmeric (and, of course, an egg).....pan fried in coconut oil. Condiment of creme fraiche with celery salt.

My first go at these....will def make more and experiment with recipe again. =)
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I made some tinned salmon fish cakes - with one egg and quite a lot of coconut flour, which was probably too much as they tended to keep falling apart! The flavour was very good but they were dry and I feel I should have used 2 eggs and less coconut flour?

scubasam is offline Senior Member
    @ breadsauce, yes two eggs per can and about a tbsp (maybe 2) of coconut flour, which saps up all the liquid.

Marisa is offline Senior Member
    Just made these - very tasty and that's coming from a person who used to hate salmon! Probably because it was always smoked

Smoked? Not like smoked salmon? I LOVE it - and i think adding a little chopped smoked salmon to the cakes would be superb. I'll try that - with chopped fresh dill and perhaps a little horseradish.

Has anyone cooked fishcakes in the oven?? I find that with ground almonds instead of potato (which I used to make them with) they break up rather when I turn them over.

So tis evening I'm trying them in the oven on a buttered non stick oven tray. Hope they work!!!!

SpiritWarrior is offline Member
    Let us know

Well, I left them about 30 minutes in total - turned them after the 1st 20 and put a small pat of butter on each.

They were firm, cooked and delicious but a little dry. I shall try adding either softened butter next time, or perhaps cream cheese to make them more moist.

Flavour full marks. Texture - a little dry. Obviously they oak up fat in the frying pan and I think 20 minutes would have been long enough in total.

It did mean I could also use the oven to cook roast sweet potato and roast courgette (zucchini).

SpiritWarrior is offline Member
    Cool - i'll have to try that too!

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
    Cool - i'll have to try that too!
    Do let me know how you get on!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast