Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Perfect Health Diet Support Thread page

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member

Perfect Health Diet Support Thread

Shop Now
    Welcome!

Tomorrow will mark the end of my second month on the PHD. I have lost about 10 lbs and hit a new low weight. All of this has been reported in my journal, but I would like to share my experience with the larger MDA community. I am also hoping for support from others following this or similar eating plans.

The PHD is a higher carb Paleo program that uses safe starches, and fruit to reach a carb level of 150+.

Details can be found here: Perfect Health Diet - A diet for healing chronic disease, restoring youthful vitality, and achieving long life | Perfect Health Diet

My backstory...I have been Primal for 3.5 years. I started near 280 at 5'10". About 3 weeks in I landed in the ICU with pulmonary emboli. I am now on coumadin for life to control a clotting disorder. I lost about 60 pounds in a year just following Primal by the book. (50-100 g carb, 100-130g protein and the rest fat). Shortly after my one year Primal anniversary, my Mom died of ovarian cancer after a four year fight. This triggered a resurfacing of a lifelong binge eating disorder...not helped by the fact the I am in my mid 40's and my hormones are messed up.

I spent the next two years experimenting with VLC, high fat keto, Leptin reset, high protein etc. I gained and lost the same 30 lbs over and over. I was frustrated that nothing could control the binge monster. I was making zero progress in my health goals.

I heard about PHD in my research about Resistant Starch.

Benefits so far:
    Weightloss in spite of binges
    Stable mood
    Stronger in the gym
    Better sleep
    Better response to carbs.
    Decreased PMS
    Better sex life.

I still binge, but my body handles it better. Less blood sugar backlash. Less weight gain. I have also been able to pinpoint lack of sleep and hormones as my big triggers.

I plan to post observations about the PHD and what I am eating in this thread. I am still learning how to work the plan. I would love input from anyone who is interested.

Thanks,
    Paula
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I think that the only way to lose substantial amounts of weight is to pick something you can do for the long haul. Paleo/primal isn't going to work if a person feels they have to give up or feel deprived of something they love. For e.g., I like big meals. One big meal per day and a before bed snack is something I can follow for the rest of my life. Three unsatisfying small meals never worked for me.

PHD looks great. The advice is basically the same on grains, bad oils, etc. I think of it as a slightly higher carb version of Paleo/primal.

It's easy for me to eat lower carb because the foods that satisfy my psyche are generally animal/animal byproducts. As a note, Cronometer shows that a serving of rice (1/4 cup before cooking), eight (weighed) ounces of strawberries, and three (weighed) ounces of tomato comes to about 53 grams of carb. Those are foods and amounts I routinely eat, and in the last 28 days, I've averaged 78 grams of carb/day just eating what I like. That's good for me, but it might be hell for someone else.

I follow your journal, and you're doing great!

When all is said and done, all the nutritional gurus can do is give us information. Finding healthy foods that both nourish and leave us feeling satisfied is up to each one of us.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Kris T is offline Senior Member
    I have seen quite a few people referencing PHD a few times and I am highly interested in learning more about it. Today I plan to do some research on it and see if it could help in my own journey. I have found I feel better with higher carbs, but I have a HUGE fear of them and try to stay away from them as much as possible, which gets me to a point of craving them, then I binge.

I am in a month of whole 30 right now and that program worked well for me last time I did it. Not something I can do long term though.

I need to find a way of eating that gives me the energy I need along with feeling satisfied.

Thanks for sharing your insight. I will need to check out your journal today.

Kris
    44 F 5'5
    SW 205.4
    CW 180.4
    GW 150

Diego is offline Junior Member
    I have also experimented with higher carbs. I used to do no more than 40-50 grams for fear of gaining but over the years I've noticed that if I never cheated with lots of carbs my hands and feet would get really cold (low thyroid) and sex drive would be down considerably. I now do a very large sweet potato at dinner and some bananas after the workout in the morning and I do an all out carb meal on Sunday night 200+ grams and my sex drive is better, have not gained any weight and my morning blood sugars are lower and I'm sleeping better. I think going too low in carbs for too long makes my body think its winter time and we have slow everything down (hibernate). Oh and my regularity is much better.

Uselis is offline Senior Member
    I have some questions for those who understand better how this diet works:

1) Do they recommend 150g of carbs as upper limit or it's based on total calories? Say I elect to eat 3000 calories should my carbs still in 150g range or it becomes more like 30% of all calories (in this case 225g of carbs)?

2) What if I get hungry even after those 3000 calories? Could I make another meal with some carbs or I should just mainly eat fat because my carbs/protein already reached?

Thanks and keep going strong Pebbles!

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Good to hear. I actually read PHD before PB, the major points are very sensible and practical.

Quote Originally Posted by Uselis View Post
    1) Do they recommend 150g of carbs as upper limit or it's based on total calories? Say I elect to eat 3000 calories should my carbs still in 150g range or it becomes more like 30% of all calories (in this case 225g of carbs)?
    PB and PHD are actually the same carb level. PHD recommends 20-30% of energy which is 100-150g when kcal = 2000, with lower levels for people with specific conditions that benefit from ketosis. When kcal are higher due to activity they recommend keeping the proportions similar. The rationale is that by matching the brain and red blood cells' consumption rate the body will neither manufacture nor dispose of excess glucose, both of which might lead to long-term issues.

2) What if I get hungry even after those 3000 calories? Could I make another meal with some carbs or I should just mainly eat fat because my carbs/protein already reached?
    PHD recommends balanced meals for digestive efficiency and diurnal rhythm (e.g. 1/3 at lunch, 2/3 at dinner). Starch is a meal side, never a snack--so it's better to adjust meal portions to match appetite. But IMO don't get too hung up on macronutrients (they admit the healthy ranges are fairly broad)--it's more important to get familiar with the high nutrient/low toxin foods.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Uselis is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Picklepete!

One more question: so my plate should be something like protein, starch, veggies to taste, maybe a fruit serving and a decent amount of butter/coconut oil/cream as a sauce? I actually never used those as a source, only for cooking and wondering if that could be the reason that I get hungry pretty soon again.

Like if they say fat intake should be roughly 55% or so that means put decent amount of fats on your meals not just as a cooking?

Thanks!

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    Am I the only one that notices that fasting is an integral part of the PHD? As in an entire chapter?

I use it a lot in counseling, especially for research. I completely disagree with the fat recommendations when it comes to actual compliance though....I have found that if you take a person that cannot control their diet well and tell them "hey, 60% of your cals can come from fat" that you get a very frustrated patient. I have found that explaining carbs in relation to their fiber content, rather than their rote count, is a better way to go. 100g of carbs in rice (which I love, but do not recommend to patients) is not the same as 100g of carbs from eating apples, berries, salads, etc.

They do lay a lot of this out in the book, but unless someone really gets into the recommendations, you can get a pretty bad misunderstanding.
    "They now look to a single and splendid government of an aristocracy, founded on banking institutions, and moneyed incorporations under the guise and cloak of their favored branches of manufactures, commerce and navigation, riding and ruling over the plundered ploughman and beggared yeomanry." - Thomas Jefferson, 1826

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Okay. Here are the recommendations from the site I linked in the first post.

About 3 pounds of plant food. (This is a lot higher than the PB weightloss recs for carbs. 150 g is the low end)
    -1 lb of starch from potatoes, white rice, taro, plantains, tapioca, sago. I get my lb from potatoes and rice. Adding plantains soon.
    - 1 lb fruit and sugary in ground veg
    - low calorie veg to taste

1/2 to 1 lb of meat and fish. Limiting pork and conventionally raised poultry.

Low omega 6 fats to taste. (A little vague.)

Acids to taste from vinegars, lemons etc.

Snacks or desserts from pleasure foods list.

***All eaten in an 8 hr window with a 16 hr daily fast.

Protein 15-30% of cals. (300 cals 75g rec as optimal for most)
    Carbs 30%-45% (600 cals minimum rec. Up to 500 more cals per hour of athletic activity.)
    Fats about 50% (Can be changed based on weight loss goals)
    Minimum cals recommended is 1300, but they like to start everyone in their program at no less than 2000.

***I am merely reporting the recommendations. The book can be a little confusing, but there is good information there..
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 04-06-2014 at 10:18 AM.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Like if they say fat intake should be roughly 55% or so that means put decent amount of fats on your meals not just as a cooking?
    No--a 1/2 fat dinner plate is typically 1/8 fat foods by mass, mostly invisible. It's woven into the cooking methods--no need to stack extra cheese and nuts everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    They do lay a lot of this out in the book, but unless someone really gets into the recommendations, you can get a pretty bad misunderstanding.
    That's an epidemic with every book, alas. See how many strange PB questions appear here.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast