Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The order of eating? page

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member

The order of eating?

I'm reading a book on the Paleo diet by a Dutch scientist/Doctor. In this book he is describing the time it takes for your body to digest the macro's and how saturated they make you feel.
    Fat = takes the longest to be digested but is the most saturating but will take long to make you feel saturated
    Proteins = on digestion time and saturation it's between carbs and fats
    Carbs = quickest to be digested but the least saturating food (it's just a quick energy fix)

Based on this I was wondering, is the order in which you eat your food of importance to how much you eat and how much calories you eat?

For example, if you start your meal with your fat macro, like advocate, coconut, nuts, etc. Then eat your protein and finish with your veggies as your main source of carbs. By the time you are starting with the carb part of your meal you should start to feel the saturation of what the fat should give you. By that time you are full and not hungry for desert or even able to eat all your carbs.
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I like, for satiety, first proteins and fats, then carbs. But so many foods are amalgamations of the three that it's a wash. Try it and see!

As for digestion, people get really angry at the idea of optimizing it. Say things like "the digestive tract is not picky". I like to eat carbs alone, and fats with protein MOST of the time - but Larabars! Plenty of exceptions! Normally though, I'll have my meat, eggs and broth at one time, and then hours later or the next day have a banana-thon or some potatoes, other fruits, etc. Just feels right.

Mark has written about combining veggies with meat to reduce carcinogens.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

margalott is offline Senior Member
    This is interesting! I normally save the most exciting, satiating things like fat and protein for last, just because. I do think combining fat/protein with a carb is more filling than either by itself, though. Like an apple and a piece of cheese, or a banana and some nut butter stick with me longer for some reason.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    I think most classic cuisines get it right. My digestion and satiety are best with:

#1: low-energy salads, soups, pickles (little fat)
    #2: protein + starch (moderate fat)
    #3: fruit + dense fat, small quantity
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

thehallowprince is offline Senior Member
    Maybe that's why tradionally dessert always came last?
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

glorth2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thehallowprince View Post
    Maybe that's why tradionally dessert always came last?
    "Desert" was an invention to take the place of the after dinner drink, if I'm not mistaken.

Jenna H is offline Member
    Interesting. I've heard of different theories like food combining, which I find too impractical. And I'm not sure Grok was so worried about that either... but hey, if it works for someone, great.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Stuff stays in my stomach for quite some time before moving on - you'd have to put considerable gap between the courses I'd think.

M.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glorth2 View Post
    "Desert" was an invention to take the place of the after dinner drink, if I'm not mistaken.
    ???????????

people have been eating desserts and sweets for many thousands of years. what are you talking about?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

glorth2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    ???????????

people have been eating desserts and sweets for many thousands of years. what are you talking about?
    I have to be honest. I heard this somewhere in the past and can't remember where. I've been an avid NPR listener in the past and that sounds like something I would've heard there. I can't find anything on the web about it now because, searching google for dessert or after dinner drinks returns nothing but recipes. In any event, obviously sweets have been around for thousands of years. It's possible that dessert was pushed in the US during prohibition. I'm just conjecturing. Sorry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast