Thread: Primal Journal - Erialo page

Erialo is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal - Erialo

Primal Fuel
    Hello folks, I've perused this site for a while and especially loved the Friday success stories. I've always been active, especially loving martial arts. However, while being in decent shape, I've always struggled a bit with my weight and even more so with feeling out of control with food cravings and emotional eating. I hate the way it makes me feel, both physically and mentally. I had a little luck with myfitnesspal and counting calories not too long (following in my best friend's footsteps who lost 45 lbs that way) but attribute that luck to the novelty and that it forced me to stick to a lower carb diet. My Mom, sister and I recognized that we were all sensitive to gluten about 11 years ago, triggered by my mom having severe arthritic (inflammatory) symptoms. She also cut out several of the night shade vegetables (although has been able to add back in corn and some tomato). I am mildly sensitive, having woken up with sore stiff hands since I was little. I thought everyone was stiff after sleeping. Initially she didn't know how to cook for that way of eating so for about a summer I was eating 0 gluten, tomato, potato, pepper, paprika or corn. Cutting out the potato and corn limited that on the shelf gluten free options, so it was an incredibly clean diet. It was the best I have ever felt, in fact I recall a bit of an inner glow, lol. However, my mom learned to cook with rice flour, and we started to figure out how to eat "normally."

I also started college, where initially I lost weight because I was trying to continue to at least be gluten free. I was pretty much living on Naked juice which while isn't the greatest thing, is better than the typical college diet of pizza and beer. However, unfortunately for me I don't feel the same amount of physical pain my mom does so I started slipping until I would eat pizza, pancakes and sandwhiches. And raw cookie dough. I really blame the downfall on the boxes of raw otis spunkmeyer raw cookie dough that were in the freezer of the cafe I worked in.

College ended, life began anew, I would not go out of my way to eat gluten, but would not turn it down if it was the most convenient choice. In general I have not been happy, feeling that my nutrition choices get in the way of achieving my fitness goals especially in martial arts. Aside from feeling held back endurance wise, that little ego comes out when you realize you're the heaviest girl in the room and heavier than a lot of guys even. Hate that.

My Mom began eating paleo about a year ago but I paid little attention until talking to a friend in the ICU who follows the Primal diet. He educated me and recommended this site It had never occurred to me to cut out grains or beans. I've been amazed at how I feel though. Increased energy, better mood, I notice a dramatic change in my stomach. Unfortunately my will power is.... well... weak. That's where I'm home this journal, to be used primarily for food documentation will help. I'm also hoping to become more active on the site.

Thanks for reading and for all the info shared thus far.

JebsMomPgh is online now Junior Member
    Just wanted to say good luck on your journey. I've been primal since January. Found my cravings for grains and sugar almost disappeared after a 21 Day Sugar Detox. I still have some situational issues with sugar but no longer binging daily. Stay strong and make sure you eat enough good food. If you are satiated with good stuff it's easier to resist the bad stuff. I track now but did not track for the first two months, just ate to my hunger and lost 20 lbs.

Looking forward to following your journey!

Thanks for the encouragement! Cutting down/out sugar aka chocolate will definitely be a challenge.

What kind of chocolate do you like? Can you enjoy just a little square a day? I switched to a darker 85% than I was accustomed to and find a little bit goes a long way. I don't indulge every day though as I still have a lot of weight to lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dark chocolate is my favorite and I have worked up to really enjoying the 85%. I also love chocolate and mint, so am looking into how to make a smoothie with mint flavoring using banana as a base.

PrimalCon New York
    1 frozen banana, 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, 3 tbs cocoa, 1/4 avocado. Yummy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk