Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Non-Primal "Look" page

thehallowprince is offline Senior Member

Red face The Non-Primal "Look"

Primal Fuel
    My husband says that I have a "look" i give food every once in a while.

Say we're at a friend's house and they've been nice enough to invite us in for dinner. We, of course, agree thankfully and join them (surely there must be SOMETHING meaty or primal-friendly on the table

There at the table sits ravioli, bread, sweet corn (their token "veggie"... *snort*), and cheesecake (no! not even a italian salad!)...

That's when I get "the look" according to my husband. He says he's the only one who sees it... but I have a look that sceams "oh f$@#... i'm screwed, i can't refuse, i can suddenly not be hungry... i'm gonna have to eat it, have the sh#ts about 10 minutes later... uggh!"

Do any of you have "the look" ?
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

hannahc is offline Senior Member
    My hubby can see my wheels spinning too, whenever we're in that type of situation. I'm pretty good at keeping a calm/expressionless face amidst the racing in my brain, but he knows. Every once in a while I do pull an obviously disgusted face at something ridiculous, like White Castle "Chicken Rings," but I try to keep it in check
    You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

labbygail is offline Senior Member
    Does the food make you acutely sick, or is it just a matter of long-term health? If it upsets your digestive system, it's probably worth expressing your dietary restrictions when you go to someone's house to eat. Heck, vegetarians and vegans do it all the time! There was a great video on youtube, which unfortunately I can't find again, parodying how it's considered impolite not to provide a vegetarian option, but it isn't impolite not to provide a low-carb option. (A frankenfood-free option is, however, probably too much to ask for.)

I don't have a "look," but I have a serious problem with the same scenario you've described. Unfortunately, I cheat too much on my own to qualify for expressing "dietary restrictions" to my hosts. So I suck it up and eat the food, and I feel fine, except convinced I'm going to get diabetes in 25 years like my father.

Written out in black and white, that sounds so ridiculous that I've hereby convinced myself that I should express dietary preferences to my hosts too.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Can't you claim gluten intollerance, since really, everyone is gluten intollerant? I'm celiac so my friends are mostly good. I'm also bossy and therefore do most of the cooking!

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    I always ask a host "what can I bring?" before a dinner party and make sure to bring a lot for everyone to share. I also have no problems expressing that I am allergic to wheat (maybe I should now make that grains). I do accept pieces of birthday cake and wedding cake and then switch plates with my husband when he finishes his.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Apparently, the left side of my upper lip lifts in almost a sneer, in concert with a wrinkling of the nose. It's generally so quick, no one but my husband notices. I also apparently get this look like I'm planning to take over the free world when I'm trying to figure out how to Primalize a menu with nothing Primal friendly on it. For a dinner party or something to that effect, where I'm reasonably certain thhere won't be anything me- friendly, I eat something before I go, so I only taste test the various foods.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member
    I feel like an alien when the bread basket comes before a meal and everyone but me is digging in. I feel very sad.

Nasno is offline Senior Member
    We went to a graduation party this weekend, and luckily my wife was asked to bring a garden salad. I figured the grill would be going, and I'd be all set.

When we showed up the grill was covered (first look shot to wifey). We were directed inside to set our salad out with the rest of the food (pasta salad #1, pasta salad #2, pasta salad #3, potato salad #1, potato salad #2, italian finger sandwiches, brownies, cupcakes (second look to wifey was promptly shot).

I was starving, so when the coast was clear, I emptied two finger sandwiches onto a plate and covered it with our garden salad (luckily the sandwiches were from my favorite pre-primal deli), and walked out like nothing happened. As soon as I caught up with wifey she said, I knew that's what you were going to do.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AnneArchy View Post
    I feel like an alien when the bread basket comes before a meal and everyone but me is digging in. I feel very sad.
    Awww, that's no good. It's really worth reframing it and instead feeling strong, healthy, determined, committed and even powerful. This kind of willpower is new to me. I *love* it when a waiter puts the bread on the table and I have no desire or interest.

Fwiw though, I do have celiac disease.....and for years, would still eat the bread at restaurants simply b/c I couldn't say no:/ So I love this!

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Fatkid is offline Senior Member
    My SigOther currently resides in Japan so if I have a look... I have no one around to tell me about it... I'm guessing I do though since in general I get some subtle look whenever I'm disgusted or such...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast