Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will This Make Me Sick? page

thehallowprince is offline Senior Member

Question Will This Make Me Sick?

Primal Fuel
    So as you may know I am seen as quite strange at my office. The magic boy who eats fats and meats at alarming levels yet loses about 10 lbs a month and keeps getting thinner and thinner...

Well, here is today's scenario and it regards sickness.

My lunch today was a meat salad of sorts. (All of this food was cooked ahead of time btw). I had a bunch of tasty shrimp, new york strip cut up into chunks (well done), and some pepporoni slices to top it off. All mixed up and ate, no cheese or sause or dressing or such...

Well, I fix this up the night before, stick it in the fridge, and then take it to work the next morning. I usually just leave it in my desk so when I go to microwave it up it only takes about 35 seconds.

My co-workers... HORRIFIED that I wouldn't immediately refrigerate my lunch when I got to work. They are concerned that within the 4 and half hours that the food is NOT in the fridge it will grow desease.

I, on the other hand, have been doing it this way for about a month and feel great.

Is there really any harm in this?
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    Well, do you ever get sick? I'm guessing not, and I'd say that answers your question.

I always put my lunch in the fridge, but I'd have to argue that your body will use it's digestive system as a defense against any bacteria that might be there. Your co-workers probably don't realize that we used to eat some amount of dirt, bacteria, and other fun stuff for the last 2.5 million years with every meal and yet somehow still survived.

I'm sure there are some foods that will "spoil" more quickly (mayo in the sun?) but if it's meat and veg, I'd bet you'll be fine. Plus nuking it will also kill some bacteria.
    Last edited by barryman9000; 06-28-2010 at 09:28 AM. Reason: clarity

Baxtherin is offline Member
    I usually throw my lunch consisting of steak or chicken (cooked) in the fridge when I get to work, just because I like my meat cold when I eat it. However there have been days when I get so busy I forget to take it to the fridge. I've never thrown it out because I forget, just eat it like normal, and I've never gotten sick from food I brought from home. So in my experience, I'd say you're fine. I'm no germaphobe though, so I count on my body being able to handle pretty much anything I throw at it.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    How warm is it in your office? If it was a hot day and the air conditioner wasn't working, then I'd worry about it.

EReardo1 is offline Junior Member

Katt is offline Senior Member
    I don't usually toss my lunch into the fridge at work, either. It's too full of people's large, insulated lunch boxes. Never had a problem.

Fatkid is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't worry about it either...unless it develops a 'funk' or something... Om nom nom b!tches!

thehallowprince is offline Senior Member
    i've never been sick from it and my office is airconditioned.

i am not a germaphobe either and my body should be able to handle any bacteria... as aforementioned, ours body is made to deal with us eating food with a little dirt on it anyways!
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

Fatkid is offline Senior Member
    if you want to really freak them out make some Mint Chutney or other mint concoctions to turn your meat green then eat it in front of them... ... or just eat a handful of dirt... hahaha

cheapo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I never refrigerate my lunches. Meat, poultry, fish, oh my!
    No problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast