Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I fall off the wagon each weekend and I need to stop it. page

Bolivar is offline Senior Member

I fall off the wagon each weekend and I need to stop it.

I do heavy weight training 3x a week (and minor slow exercise on off days, e.g. dog walk), to facilitate my 'hobby' I need to eat a fair bit to progress (wanting to gain mass), i'm a skinny fat sort of build at 170lbs. My weight ranges are challenging enough now that I can only progress by eating enough and resting enough.

However, weekends recently have been carb shitfests. I used to do this on the 'anabolic diet' , a bit like primal, but with carb up weekends. Well, there's no excuse for it at all really, I see it as; I do well during the week low carbing and I see the weekend as a break, almost a lazy attitude come to think of it.

I'm tempted to do an IF on Saturday just to curb my appetite and keep the food out (although breakfast-dinner would probably be a carby meal most likely, family made meal, I cook during the week for myself) although if no ones cooking ill have a Low carb meal.

The outcome? increased body fat ( probably from the boozing too), probably from the bad carb days, and possible constant calory surpluses during the week for mass gaining.

It's stupid really, I need a good punch in the head

flame away please (no really)

JasonBanz is offline Member
    Don't beat yourself up. Its going to happen. The biggest suggestion would be to maybe just make it a day, or 1 meal a week. Plus giving up alcohol would help big time.
    Insert whitty diet remark here!

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    I had 2 large poutines (that's french canadian for fries with cheese and gravy) yesterday if that makes you feel any better. LOL

invino77 is offline Senior Member
    I can relate and am trying ot see if in July, i can abstain. Last weekend was risotto, pasta, pizza, beer and wine! yes, what did you call it...a carb "shitfest" i believe was the exact term!? But alas, the scale is quite stuck and 60 kilos( I am 5'4) and I would like to get down to about 55 kilos.

cutting out nuts, dairy.....cheats and i think the hardest of all is going to be wine.....I am not sure if I can do it. Help!

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    The message is pretty clear about the booze; you can't be drinking a bunch if you have serious fitness goals, the two are just incompatible. It is a challenge for me, too. Maybe make a public announcement you are going on the wagon for a month? That sometimes helps people.

Nick "the Caveman" M. is offline Senior Member
    I completely understand the weekend thing....same thing happens here. It's not really the booze for me, but I do tend to eat like crap on the weekends. It has more to do with the family being out and about and tending to get "weekend food" instead of the normal regimen.

The one thing that does help me is eating before going out to eat or before you know you'll be around food. Fill up with the stuff you know you should be eating and then you'll be less tempted to eat the other crap. Sure you may have a slice or a handful of chips, but that's better than making it your meal. I know this Sunday (July 4th) I'll be heading to a party where there most likely won't be a lot of non-primal food...really tempting ones no less....so I'll make sure to have a good size meal with plenty of fat before hand so I'm a bit full when I get there. These people would be quite offended if I don't eat...so I'll make sure to be feasting off the grill and hopefully that will keep me away from all the other stuff.

Pessimist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slowcooker View Post
    I had 2 large poutines (that's french canadian for fries with cheese and gravy) yesterday if that makes you feel any better. LOL
    How can anyone eat TWO poutines? You sir, are my hero!
    The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being proven right or pleasantly surprised.

RezH is offline Senior Member
    Obviously imbibing to the point of drunkenness every weekend is not going to be good for fitness goals. However, indulgence in moderation is not out of the question. A glass of wine or beer has 5-10 carbs. One or two a week is not going to kill your fitness goals.

stevew2023 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by invino77 View Post
    I can relate and am trying ot see if in July, i can abstain. Last weekend was risotto, pasta, pizza, beer and wine! yes, what did you call it...a carb "shitfest" i believe was the exact term!? But alas, the scale is quite stuck and 60 kilos( I am 5'4) and I would like to get down to about 55 kilos.

cutting out nuts, dairy.....cheats and i think the hardest of all is going to be wine.....I am not sure if I can do it. Help!
    Cutting out WINE....... Say it ain't so! I refuse to give up my wine

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by slowcooker View Post
    Ooh...poutine
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast