Thread: Iodine supplements, Candida Overgrowth, Adrenal Fatigue - Nonsense? page

Eureka5280 is offline Senior Member

Iodine supplements, Candida Overgrowth, Adrenal Fatigue - Nonsense?

Shop Now
    I love Paleo/Primal folks for their willingness to question the conventional wisdom and ignore money-backed nutritional dogma, but sometimes I feel like there's a certain personality archetype that you find on boards like these.

I'm talking about the intentional contrarian. The person who believes their way is right SIMPLY because it goes against conventional wisdom. Often these kinds of folks like to mix in a hefty dose of spiritualism and new age philosophy with their nutritional worldview.

In that light, sometimes it's hard to tell if the information being shared here is truly good, science-based, well-researched information, or feel good pseudoscience with a large dose of marketing and snake oil.

Take iodine supplementation for example - do I really believe there is some huge corporate conspiracy hiding the truth that Iodine is a miracle cure-all? No. Do I think maybe iodine supplementation may have some benefits in the right context? Maybe, I don't really have a background to be able to answer that question without a lot more research.

Candida overgrowth is another hot topic in the alternative nutrition boards - is that even a real thing? If there is really a huge epidemic of unwanted yeast growing in the population's digestive tracts, why hasn't medical science identified it and developed a treatment? Seems like this is exactly the kind of problem Big Pharma likes to solve to make a fat pile of cash, no?

Adrenal fatigue? What scientific evidence do we have to support this concept?

I'm sure there are other examples that have been discussed here in the past several months. How do we separate the wheat from the chaff in these kinds of cases? (And I guess on a Paleo board, the chaff is the part we would want to keep... :P)

Also, if any of the 3 specific diagnoses I mentioned above are overwhelmingly legitimate and I'm completely missing the mark, please educate me.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Eureka5280: M / 38 / 235lbs / Goal: 180lbs

Diet: Currently experimenting with higher carb (Peat-esque) primal with emphasis on beef, dairy, seafood, sugar and a bit of starch on lifting days.

Activities: Started Stronglifts 5x5 on 3/1/14. Adding sprints and hikes soon.
    End of Year Working Set Goals: Squats-250, Bench-200, DL-315

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Health has always been like this, even in ancient times. The biology is brain-meltingly complex so anxious and frustrated folks will be more open-minded to any explanation that offers a path to relief, especially if an expert has failed us in the past.

A forum offers much but I agree there are no safe zones where we can abandon empirical skepticism. I prefer the broad patterns, i.e. the fewer manufactured foods/drugs/stimuli we take in the fewer fine details we need to know.
    34//6'3"/180

Lots of: urban hiking, cycling, sprinting
    Lots of: fresh meat, seafood, eggs, organs, tubers, starch fruits, vegetables, meat fat, dairy fat, oil fruits
    Some: cured meat, dairy protein, sweet fruits, rice, pulses, tree nuts, oil seeds
    Minimal: soy, refined proteins, sugar, liquid carbohydrate, grains, refined oils, peanuts

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I think that things like "candida overgrowth" and "adrenal fatigue" are more symptoms than actual diseases. For candida, I don't think it's candida alone that is the problem. It could be SIBO, or some other kind of gut dysbiosis. For some people, treating low stomach acid can be the cure. Sometimes that means their diet needs adjustment and sometimes that means they need supplements for a time.

Adrenal fatigue is believed by some to be the symptom of malnutrition or some kind of taxation on the system. I tend to agree with that assessment. I don't think there's a whole lot of legitimate research on this "disorder" however.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    They are as real and just as well defined as 90% of diagnosis' that you are not currently questioning.

Well...I should probably put in that deficiencies should be measurable and supplementation should be have the ability to be monitored to be certain that it is sufficiently treating said deficiency. This is best illustrated with vitamin D. Test it...supplement....re-test. I would put iodine in that vein. If you are deficient then you need it. If not then don't. Supplementation is that simple.

As to the other two, the fall in with my opening sentence. For instance adrenal fatigue here: http://robbwolf.com/2012/04/09/real-...renal-fatigue/

and the testing here: http://www.diagnostechs.com/pages/as...toverview.aspx

Its measurable values that can be manipulated through lifestyle modification. As long as those values outside of a normal range produce ill health then its as viable of a test and diagnosis as any other.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-03-2014 at 03:48 PM.

Timthetaco Guest
    Candida is my absolute favorite made up disease. An overgrowth of c. albicans is what's more commonly called a yeast infection, but somehow it attracted the attention of the alternative medicine community and became its own unique disease (some claim it causes or even IS cancer). It's such an unapologetic load of woo that it isn't even mentioned anywhere on the NCCAM website. It's literally just something that someone somewhere made up for some reason. If I were a conspiracy theorist I'd say it was invented by the pharmaceutical industry to sell Diflucan, but mainstream medicine doesn't recognize candida as an actual disease, so that's out.

A randomized, double-blind trial of nystatin therapy for the candidiasis hypersensitivity syndrome.

The paleo community is unfortunately very enamored with alternative medicine, which is yet another reason nobody takes it seriously.
    Last edited by Timthetaco; 04-04-2014 at 09:44 AM.