Thread: Newly converted and wanted to introduce myself page

fufonzo is offline Senior Member

Cool Newly converted and wanted to introduce myself

Primal Fuel
    Hey everyone,

I thought it would be fun to introduce myself. My name's Pat, I'm 26 and am from Canada.

I stumbled upon the Primal Blueprint by accident actually as I was going through another forum. I had heard of it before and at first, I didn't like the no grains or beans idea as I thought that just couln't be healthy. Reading through this website has really opened my eyes though and I'm so excited to be starting this.

I've been eating clean for a full year now (no processed foods) and lost weight initially and was able to maintain quite easily. However, I'm still heavier than I'd like to be (at 6'2, I weigh ~220lbs) and I have other minor health issues that I'm hoping this will help with (trouble sleeping, occasional migraines, anxiety attacks).

With being used to eating clean, I'm thinking this shouldn't be too difficult for me. I've already gotten rid of the heavily processed junk, now I just need to eliminate grains and beans. I'm cutting down on dairy as well, but figure I'll still have some occasionally and then possibly eliminate it at a later point.

I started this and a workout regime (through BeachBody) on Friday so I'm hoping to lose 20 or so pounds of fat in the next 3 months.

With that said, I have a couple of newbie questions that I couldn't find answers to:

- How much fiber do you consume in a day? I'm finding that I'm having a pretty tough time getting my 30g of fibre per day. Anyone take Benefibre or anything like that? Is fiber less of an issue with PB? I haven't had any issues being regular. I've just read of people having some issues with it so I'm trying to avoid that.

- Anyone else feel like they were excessively sweaty and hotter when they first started doing this? I'm thinking it might be my metabolism revving (with the new diet and the workouts) that is making me sweat but I feel like for the last two days, I've been sweating like crazy!

Thanks in advance for you responses and I look forward to being an active participant on these boards

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    welcome! Canada, eh?

Make sure you're getting sufficient D.

Worry less about the fiber unless you need to. Most do fine b/c of the increased saturated fat.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Katt is offline Senior Member
    Hi Pat! Sounds like you've got a good start, and yeah, don't worry too much about the fiber. It's overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Katt View Post
    Hi Pat! Sounds like you've got a good start, and yeah, don't worry too much about the fiber. It's overrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat
    welcome! Canada, eh?

Make sure you're getting sufficient D.

Worry less about the fiber unless you need to. Most do fine b/c of the increased saturated fat.
    Thanks for the welcome

It's tough to get out in the sun sometimes, but we just bought a cottage and I play outdoor sports so I'm really hoping that that'll help. It's always tougher in the winters though up here.

Thanks for the advice re: fiber. I have yet to have any problems, but I was a little worried because of all the brainwashing I've had in the past, haha.

I'm so excited for this, I can't wait to tell everyone about it and try to bring in some recruits. I figure I'll wait until I start seeing the results before I start telling everyone though. It's easier to convince when you're living proof I imagine.

Katt is offline Senior Member
    Absolutely. Living proof is always the best kind. Brainwashing can be hard to get over, but it's doable if you keep at it and see the proof for yourself, as well. It helps to understand WHY it's wrong, however. Dr. Eades over at Protein Power has some excellent articles on fiber and why he doesn't recommend it.

I was very excited when I first started. Still am... but everyone thought I was preaching and I was called a 'cultist' by a friend. Ah well. Live and learn.

Whipcream is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katt View Post
    But everyone thought I was preaching and I was called a 'cultist' by a friend. Ah well. Live and learn.
    Have the same problem, well not really my problem but still annoying. CW people are just way to brainwashed to see the whole picture.

almostGrok'd is offline Senior Member
    G'day,
    yep, same problem here. People think I've gone a bit nuts.
    suggest you keep the details of PB to yourself and arm yourself with some easily understoond CW type answers.
    For me, I've started saying I'm not eating grains for 'digestive reasons'. And that I need to guard against the onset of diabetes as I had gestational diabetes with my #2 child so am at a higher risk.

Sorry for the doom-gloom response.!! Welcome aboard though. It is THE place for support and huge mind-opening ideas!!!

It gets WAY easy to avoid grains. I didn't believe when the forum said that you end up not even wanting them... but it was easy pretty quick for me.

Good Luck and again... Welcome!!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks again for the welcomes. The one person I'm most hoping I can convince is my dad. He is overweight (although he's been building his own house and has lost a dozen pounds since starting that up) and we have a history of heart disease, cancer, high blood pressure & cholesterol, and diabetes in our family.

I've told him about it and he seems open to trying it out but would rather wait until he's done with the house before jumping into anything else. (I also don't want to seem like I'm pushing him too hard).

I also have my girlfriend mostly convinced (she's a little hesitant abnout cutting out grains altogether and won't even think about cutting out dairy), but it's a good start nonetheless.

As for cutting the grains out, I'm happy to say that the last time I had grains (with the exception of corn, which I didn't realize counted until I had eaten some) was Friday at noon (I found out about the PB on friday afternoon) and I already find that I'm not craving them (although Saturday and Sunday were a little tougher).