Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Patsquach page

Patsquach is offline Junior Member

Primal Patsquach

Primal Fuel
    You'd think someone who goes by Patsquach would have always been Primal right? The name was given to me some years ago but I was far from it. I've been lurking around here and wanted to post up as a way to help keep me honest and participate in this great community. Thanks Mark!

Thank you to everyone who has shared success and failure all the same. I have fallen off the beam a few times this year and I would say that this is only Day 3 for me. I also appreciate the recipes because boredom had been an excuse to fall back on pizza and beer as a "treat" at times. I know, it's what was killing me.

I have walked up and down mountains and cycled thousands of miles without ever dropping a pound. I remember packing a bear canister for a big trip out west on the PCT and thinking to myself "this can't be good for me". I had jammed 8 days of carbs into the canister that I carried on my back like a totem reminder that something was wrong, but I didn't know of any options. I've been reading a lot of threads about paleo backpacking and am encouraged by them.

I did my first LHT today. I started the progression of basic movements and was amazed in two ways. The first thought was "man, I am out of shape". The second was "if I am 240 lbs, this is going to provide results". Perhaps others would have to wear weights for that kind of resistance. My arms feel pretty heavy and I wonder what I will feel tomorrow morning. From previous life experiences I know I will feel my soreness with pride. I earned it today.

I have been eating meat and broccoli ( I am a broccoli freak) with Primal Fuel in between. I have also found that coconut milk shakes are awesome with a few berries (not too many though). I've got a kick-ass blender and I am not afraid to use it. I've got a boneless ribeye setting up with some dry rub to cook in the morning because after my LHT session today I don't have much appetite.

I was able to give up the caffeine, but have been smoking off and on. I hope to get rid of the smokes, especially because I live on a giant hill. I switched from walking to cycling to work as part of my preparation for an awesome fundraiser ride coming up in June. I like bikes. Walking in the woods is great but I get impatient walking around town. I live in Pittsburgh and will be racking up some miles for the National Bike Challenge because Cleveland challenged us for the Rustbelt Crown. We aim to keep it hear. We all like to pick on Cleveland - but they are great people too.

So that's it for my first post. I thought of putting my "before" photo up but will hold off until I can show some results.

My chest is a bit sore this morning, but I like it. I finally broke through the doubts about starting and maintaining a good regimen and did something.

I did get hungry later last night and cooked my steak. Only had a little bit and had to stay up an hour to let my gut get a start on digesting it. If I had not used Cayenne pepper in the dry rub I might not have been too concerned.

I had stopped drinking coffee thinking it would be better to wake up naturally, but I have been sluggish in the morning of late and am considering the Bulletproof coffee recipe. I do miss my coffee.

Well, I was in the store shopping for Kerrygold butter so I can have bulletproof coffee tomorrow and I bought chips and dip. Should have eaten more this afternoon but I was in a rush. I tossed the chips but not before eating half the bag and all of the dip.

I will be trying IF tomorrow with only the coffee in the AM so I can start to get back on track. Funny how I might think that junk food is "good" but more in a comfort way. I had gone down to the park for Church in the Park with the children's ministry and felt like a boob not having much experience in that side of the ministry. I was relieved when it was over and I think I was taking myself a bit too seriously. It's not like I failed anything, just am not used to it. We have been repairing and distributing bicycles to the kids (mostly 1-5th grade) for two years now so most of them already recognize me. Kind of still felt like the first day at school.

At least I can get a solid 8 hours sleep tonight and start fresh tomorrow.

They fired my Director today. So once the new Director starts next month we will see how far down the chain the replacements go. I could do well if I have to apply for my own job and it will interesting to see what changes come about in the Department. Nonetheless the person who gave me a shot and hired my crazy ass is looking for a new job and has a family to think of.

Bulletproof coffee - I dont have my MCT yet, but I am wondering how long this fuel will last. It has been 4 hours since I drank it (need to do it slower next time). I almost had some reflux cycling into work afterward. The goal is not to break my IF until after 3 PM (after work meetings). It will have been about a 19 hour fast by then.

I signed up for a weight loss challenge at work today. Have a training ride Sunday for the MS150 team and it will definitely be the longest and hilliest for me this year. And some padded shorts will be necessary. Haven't gotten used to the saddle again yet.

I just broke my first IF (19 hours) with a fatty ribeye and a bag of broccoli and plenty of butter. I had to turn on the AC in my office because my body heated up quite a bit. I think I now understand what others are referring to as "mental clarity" because I was able to remember the names of some people on the spot that I have not seen in years. And both are significant in my line of work. And I was really not hungry until I ate. I think I was more nervous about expecting to be hungry. I have been reading about daily fasting/eating periods and think I would like to establish a noon-6 PM period for eating my fuel. I'll let you know how it works out.

I ate everything before 8 PM today. I did eat some blue cheese dressing, but at least now that is all gone. Tomorrow I can start with the BPC and then eat between Noon and 6 PM. Going to try the slow cooker adobo chicken and make some mushroom soup to braise some pork with. I was so energized by today's fast I wonder what tomorrow will bring. Very excited! That and I don't have to go to work....

justpeachy is offline Member
    Sounds like you're doing great, Patsquach! I'm a relative newcomer to the boards myself. Welcome!

Thanks 'peachy! Things are getting better - like the awesome smell of my house with chicken adobo cooking in it. I am T-minus 30 minutes to crushing some of that.

My eyes snapped open at 5:45 AM today with the birds. Normally I am not up that early. After some BPC I was ready to rock. I have noticed that I need to drink more water to keep my stomach from feeling fluttery during the IF and the BPC. Not a problem.

I did my second LHT today. I had some soreness from 3 days ago but it went away after I got warmed up and into it. I felt stronger than the other day and it was before I broke my fast, so what I have been reading on here has a lot of merit.

I am leading a "no drop" 30 mile ride with some medium hills tomorrow. I was nervous about it but other people in the LBS said they are in the same boat. The weather should be good for a casual ride around town.
    M 42
    Apr 2014 SW 247 37.8%BF
    CW - Will let you know in May!

Cycled 30 miles today. I couldn't complain about the route (even in my head) since I was the one to map it out for us. It was a picture perfect day with lots of sun and low temperatures. I just haven't ridden over 10 miles in about 6 months. I was happy riding during IF, although I spilled half of my BPC this morning (lost half my fuel). I was plum tired by the time we finished the ride.

I have been reading about using almonds and coconut water for replenishment. I ordered a sugar-free electrolyte powder as well. I sweat tons and am crusty salty after a long ride. I wish I had gotten some coconut water yesterday because I drank some gatorade that I had in the house trying to recover.

I was supposed to make mushroom soup this afternoon (found a recipe here to braise pork with). I had no energy, which has happened before. I just tried to stay awake so I could get a solid 8 hours tonight.
    M 42
    Apr 2014 SW 247 37.8%BF

I actually get excited about going to bed early and then I cannot fall asleep. My body is waking up to pee and before the alarm, which is just fine - but it takes almost an hour to sleep. I might try some meditation before going to bed instead of watching TV.

On the scale today it said I burned 1.7% body fat over the past week. I will need to get readings for a few weeks before I can judge how accurate that is. It is a nice scale that I got years ago. It is called a Tanita Ironman. When I was 39 I had a dream of doing an Ironman by the time I was 50. I am not so hooked on that idea right now. I would like to compete in the Masters division for cross country mountain biking, but I don't need to do an Ironman.
    M 42
    Apr 2014 SW 247 37.8%BF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast