Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Randal's (AKA, Texas Grok) 90 day countdown to greatness! page 2

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Are you doing any tweaks to your diet or are you focusing on exercise? Hubby is working on losing the last 20-30 lbs and he's looking into some dietary tweaks. I think he's going to add in IF and carb cycling. I'm trying to get him to remember to add gelatin because he gets stiff after lifting. I think it will help with muscle recovery.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Are you doing any tweaks to your diet or are you focusing on exercise? Hubby is working on losing the last 20-30 lbs and he's looking into some dietary tweaks. I think he's going to add in IF and carb cycling. I'm trying to get him to remember to add gelatin because he gets stiff after lifting. I think it will help with muscle recovery.
    I'm IFing more, usually from dinner to mid-morning. Also trying to add more fresh veggies to my diet (where I am, there is not much of a selection, have to go to Cairo 1.5 hours away).

Otherwise I'm focusing more on exercise, in particular strength training. I guess I need to search out a source for gelatin, I suspect that would help me.

My exercise is mostly bodyweight with my TRX, using my sandbags, etc. There is a gym in the hotel here but it is expensive and not much to brag about. I would rather be outside on my balcony with my TRX anyway.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Wow 1.5 hrs to get fresh veggies! I'd probably skip it! I've been eating a lot more fruit and less veggies lately, in fact i have to remind myself to buy them lately. I do eat salads, carrots, cucumbers and beets, not much else.

It sounds like you have a good workout w/o the gym. Saving money is always a good idea.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

I have finally settled on a workout routine that I have actually been following (GASP) and can do without a gym.

This is what if is so far (numbers will go up of course).

Doing a 30 day challenge to get me to a decent base of fitness:

• Squats-30
    • Plank-90 secs
    • Pushups-6
    • Leg raises 20
    • Burpees 6 (I don't like burpees but they likely don't like me either)

In addition I have started a kettlebell routine using my sandbag KB which weighs around 30 lbs. (I think, no scales to weight it).

• KB Dead lifts
    • KB Dead lifts clean
    • Single KB press
    • KB goblet squat
    • KB Halo (really hard to do right with these sandbag KB)
    • KB swing
    • KB bent over row right arm
    • KB bent over row left arm
    • KB Russian twist

I'm also doing some work with my TRX system. Mainly an incline pullup (2x6) and reverse incline pushups (2x10).

I know this is not much of a workout by some of y'all standards but considering that I have never been big on strength training, its a start.

Also doing a good bit of walking thrown in there. Need to do some sprinting and started getting up at 5.30 am to do so before work, that went well for one day....never been a morning person.
    Randal

For what its' worth, I'm better and doing than recording it seems. The workouts are going well, soreness is less but still there. And I'm seeing more and more difference in my body. Still haven't bothered to get another set of scales, not high on my priority list right now.
    Randal

I was complimented on my legs and arms gaining more definition. This was by a friend of a friend who wants to start working out. She is less than half my age. Showed her my basic workout (bodyweight and my sandbag kettlebells) and she dropped out about 5 minutes in. Can't decide if this is a comment on my fitness level or a comment on her lack of fitness level. She is supper skinny and from S. Sudan. Had a hard life, you would think she would have been tougher and in some ways, she likely is tougher than I am.

Still no scales, haven't been to Cairo and to be honest, not too interested in getting any. However, do have a line on a store that sells sports equipment, hoping to get a regular kettlebell, there are just some exercise this sandbag kettle bell is not well suited for.
    Randal

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Nice work. Keep at it!

Sent via lightsaber

Well, shit....

After about 6 weeks of this, I can't tell that I have lost one bloody kilo. While my scales don't work, I have not dropped a pants size or really able to tell any difference in the mirror.

Despite a mainly meat and good fat based diet, nothing is going away. I do eat veggies but they are hard to get out here so not as much as I would like.

I IF almost daily from about 8 pm to noon or later.

About 40 minutes of kettlebell and body weight exercise 3-4 times a week. At least 4 hours of walking a week (usually a bit more). I tried sprinting but my knees (with mulitiple surgeries each) told me not just no, but hell no.

I could up my walking without too much trouble. The gym in the hotel here is open (after renovating) so that is an option. No free weights other than dumbbells, and machines.

I'm stuck and looking for ideas.
    Last edited by texas.grok; 05-20-2014 at 09:48 PM.
    Randal

I have started going to a gym in Suez with some of my coworkers. This is pretty "old school" in that we spend about half an hour doing various sprints, running backwards, suicides, burpees, etc. then we go in the gym and workout on some very basic machines and free weights. 1 hour a night, 2 nights per week. I'm supplementing this with bodyweight exercises, kettlebell workouts and some hiking during the other 5 days.

Randal

Some observations after my 3rd day going to this gym.

First off, a bit about the gym. It is "old school" as is the instructions of the personal trainer (no complaints).

We spend an hour doing various sprints, stretches, body weight exercises, "suicides", etc. They could care less if I wear shoes or not and I really got into the barefoot sprints last night.

The weight room is pretty minimal as you would expect from an Egyptian government sponsored gym. We don't bother with AC or music, again, fine with me.

The personal trainer seemed pretty happy that this 58 year old man could do what he wanted me to do, and more. As a matter of fact, last night there were several other men in the room 20 years or more, younger than me, that decided after 15 minutes of weights they had had it . I wasn't ready to quit after an hour of exercise.

And WTF happened to men having leg muscles? Some of these guys have none, little spindly legs that were doing good to leg press 50 pounds. My powerlifting son told me the other day that my calves were "ridiculous" (this is a good thing) and after last night, and compared to these other guys, I can see what he means.

Now if I can get the rest of my body in shape as my legs.

I should mention that the day before yesterday, I did a 3+ hour hike over some pretty hilly terrain. Stopping and sitting was not a good thing, legs did not want to work. My first thought after the hike was that I was going to be screwed in the gym the next day. But no problems. Seems my recovery time is a lot less than it was.

New goal, a Spartan Sprint in May of next year in Austin, Texas. It will be a team run with my kids and one of my Egyptian coworkers.

I'll post pictures over the weekend.
    Last edited by texas.grok; 06-09-2014 at 10:30 PM.
    Randal

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast