Thread: Fruit, diet, flat muscles, crossfit page

dmanhere is offline Junior Member

Fruit, diet, flat muscles, crossfit

Primal Fuel
    Hello all!
    I have a few questions I hope people can answer for me. Some days I look really muscular and my muscles look 'full' and some days i don't and I look 'softer/less muscular' and my muscles don't look as full. I weigh 167lbs and i'm 5'9. I do crossfit/olympic lifts/ met cons 5-7 days a week mainly because I enjoy working out. A typical week for me would look like this:
    mon- 4sets 4-6reps squat heavy, metcon(50-100burpees, 1,000m rowing, 100 lunge steps), front squat 2sets 4-6 80% max.
    tues- heady deadlift 4sets 4-6reps, bent over rows 3sets 4-6 reps, some sort of metcon, cycle 2mi.
    wed- either chest or shoulder press 4sets 4-6reps, metcon, row 1000m cycle 1mi

etc etc, you get the idea, I lift heavy things then do a cardio workout with light weights.
    My diet looks like this:
    250-270g protein from lean meat: lean meats, grass fed beef, turkey, chicken, eggs, fish
    230-250g carbs from 1/2-3/4cup oatmeal in the morning with blueberries, then later in the afternoon i have 2cups mixed fruit (usually apples/oranges/strawberries), carrots, lettuce, kale, various veggies, sweet potatos/alternate with banana if i dont't have sweet potatoes.
    60-80g fat from almonds, coconut oil, egg yolks, fat from my lean meats

a typical day of eating looks like this:
    breakfast: 10eggs (2whole) (i know the yolk isn't bad but i think at the amount of eggs I eat it might be problematic for me), 1/2-3/4cup oatmeal with handful blueberries and coconut oil. then i don't eat for about 3-6hrs and have some sort of meat (about 8grams), 2cups mixed fruit salad (mostly apples/oranges/strawberries) and 1/4cup almonds or i'll have half avocado and some veggies like carrots with kale/lettuce/mushrooms. then i workout and have 12eggs (2whole), and either 8-10oz sweet potato or 1 banana and a protein shake. then i go to bed.

I'm wondering why some days my muscles look more full and muscular and some days they don't and it appears I am getting fatter.
    Do you think I am getting enough glucose to my muscles or are they being depleted from my workouts and should I eat more? Every wednesday I have a carb refeed where I'll up my carbs to about 280-300g that day then back down to my usual.

I should probably add I have about 2pinches of sea salt with my eggs everyday.

I try to eat as primal as possible but I just love steel cut oats and they don't bother like bread does.

Any input would be great! Thanks everyone!

TQP
    TQP is offline Senior Member
    If you're getting fatter you're eating too many calories.

Cut the calories somewhere. I would personally cut some of the fat but that's just me. 1/4 cup almond is a LOT of superfluous calories...

(yes you're getting enough carbs)
    JOURNAL.

Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog. (Latest recipe: Popsicles!)

Professional Style Website. (Latest features: How to Remix a Pant Suit; Courtney, Fashion Editor)

"A sense of humour and a little lack of respect: that's what you need to make a legend survive."- Karl Lagerfeld

I'm not sure I'm getting fatter though. I use my calipers to track and get a general idea of where my bf% is each week and I tend to stay right around the same levels (according to my numbers about 10-11% +-). It's just some days I look better and some days I don't.
    If it sounds and looks like my fruits/carbs intake is enough then I'll try reducing my fats and see where that gets me for a few days.
    Thanks for the input.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    It's just water/salt/glycogen levels. No big deal. I can visually look like I gained or lost 10 lbs of muscle in the same day depending on amount and type of food, and hydration.

Sent via lightsaber

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    It's just water/salt/glycogen levels. No big deal. I can visually look like I gained or lost 10 lbs of muscle in the same day depending on amount and type of food, and hydration.

Sent via lightsaber

Can you explain...I'm guessing low salt intake + low water intake = flat looking muscles/fatter?
    If my glycogen levels are low does that mean I'm not eating enough or not eating the right carbs/ right amount of carbs per day?

Thanks.