Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green smoothies page

concept408 is offline Junior Member

Green smoothies

Shop Now
    What does everyone do for green smoothies? I've recently came across Joe Rogan's Kale shake on youtube Joe Rogan In The Kitchen : Green Kale Shake - YouTube

It looks pretty interesting and I am gonna try it. His recipe is kale, cucumber, celery, pear, garlic, and ginger.

Does anyone also have better digestion and elimination with green smoothies?

gdot is offline Senior Member
    Your first response may be feeling bloated if you are not accustomed to large quantities of raw vegetable matter. If your elimination is not steady - these will definitely help you out!

I like some green smoothie action. Nutritionally it's not rocket science - you can mix and match pretty liberally with the concept.

Of course spinach and kale are popular bases - do be aware that variety is king. Don't do the same thing everyday - Variety is essential to prevent a build up of micronutrients. I suggest working mostly with what's in season - when it is in season.

I like spinach with peaches, apple, and a little rhubarb for tartness.

Cauliflower with strawberries, raspberries and an orange - including a little peel.

If you like you can add little bits and bobs like flax or chia seeds, a few walnuts, a raw egg or protein powder.

For me they are a quick and easy way to add 4 servings of vegetable matter into my day and because they work well with frozen fruit and veggies which are lots cheaper than fresh in the winter. Nutritionally frozen is fine - probably superior to berries that were flown in from Chile and a week old when they reach the store in the winter.

Fdispenza is offline Senior Member
    Is this to say I can take raw vegs and basically make a drinkable salad? I really can't stand eating vegs, but I don't have anything against them. I know I need to get more into me.

A few questions:

1. What do you use for a liquid base, how about adding some fresh vegs to V8?
    2. This all goes in the blender?
    3. Can I make up enough for more than one serving without it going bad (like until the next day)?

Sorry if this has been described elsewhere, but this thread caught my eye.
    "Our dearest friend banished, Loki on the throne, Asgard on the brink of war, yet you've managed to consume four wild boars, six pheasants, a side of beef, and two casks of ale. Shame on you, don't you care?"

LindyCG is offline Senior Member
    I usually use some combination of the following:

Spinach or kale
    Avocado
    Acai purée (not juice, smoothie packs of the frozen fruit with nothing added)
    Frozen berries
    Frozen green banana

Plus kefir, coconut milk, etc. Also good additives - inulin, potato starch, chia seeds, grass fed whey protein powder. I used to add some coconut palm sugar or honey but I don't need the sweetener anymore.

It ends up not being a low calorie smoothie, but I usually only do it a few times a week in place of a meal or a portion of a meal. If I have extra, I freeze it in an ice cube tray and use the extra instead of ice next time u make a smoothie.

I should experiment with adding more/different veggies. Cauliflower or cucumber would be good, and carrots.

gdot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fdispenza View Post
    Is this to say I can take raw vegs and basically make a drinkable salad? I really can't stand eating vegs, but I don't have anything against them. I know I need to get more into me.

A few questions:

1. What do you use for a liquid base, how about adding some fresh vegs to V8?
    2. This all goes in the blender?
    3. Can I make up enough for more than one serving without it going bad (like until the next day)?

Sorry if this has been described elsewhere, but this thread caught my eye.
    Yes - you can basically make a salad in a glass. Use water. And without fruit it's not likely to be very appealing.
    Yes - all in the blender - complete with seeds, peals, etc. etc. (excluding apples and a few other fruits whose seeds are slightly toxic. - look it up on the interwebz.)
    Don't make ahead of time - sorta negates the point of eating fresh produce. As the phytonutrient quality starts to degrade upon exposure to oxygen.

Do some searching around on the internet - there are tons of recipes - you also might look at the nutri bullet site. As they have tons of recipes (you do not need their blender to make this work).
    Last edited by gdot; 04-01-2014 at 11:47 AM.

Thanks LindyCG and gdot.

Quote Originally Posted by gdot View Post
    Yes - you can basically make a salad in a glass. Use water.
    Yes - all in the blender - complete with seeds, peals, etc. etc. (excluding apples and a few other fruits whose seeds are slightly toxic. - look it up on the interwebz.)
    Great, I can't wait to try. I think adding kiwi would be good, I love kiwis. Pear seeds as well as apricot seeds (cyanide) are toxic.

Don't make ahead of time - sorta negates the point of eating fresh produce. As the phytonutrient quality starts to degrade upon exposure to oxygen.
    D'oh! that makes sense!
    "Our dearest friend banished, Loki on the throne, Asgard on the brink of war, yet you've managed to consume four wild boars, six pheasants, a side of beef, and two casks of ale. Shame on you, don't you care?"

endless is offline Senior Member
    I use spinach, kale, parsley, cilantro, cucumber, zucchini, avocado (one or two per smoothie) and grow in a kiwi or 1/3 cup berries and coconut water kefir. Also acerola cherry powder and cactus fiber or something of that nature.

I made my first green smoothie today. Actually it's a purple smoothie due to the blackberries. . I added a green apple skin too, small sweet peppers, a stir fry combo of broccoli, cabbage, pea pods. I used 12 oz of water, which made it just the right consistency. It was not horrible, just a bit bland. Any tricks to make it less bland, or is that the nature of it?

Cavedude is offline Senior Member
    Be careful with the uncooked kale in the smoothies. Dave Asprey (the bulletproof exec guy) was on joe rogan' podcast and joe was talking about his kale shakes he makes every morning. Asprey said that uncooked kale is super high in oxalic acid which is a major cause of kidney stones. If you cook the kale and drain the water, it takes care of this problem, but obviously people use raw kale in smoothies and shakes. If you insist on the using raw kale, add some calcium rich foods into your diet (calcium binds with oxalic acid).

Wildrose is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fdispenza View Post
    I made my first green smoothie today. Actually it's a purple smoothie due to the blackberries. . I added a green apple skin too, small sweet peppers, a stir fry combo of broccoli, cabbage, pea pods. I used 12 oz of water, which made it just the right consistency. It was not horrible, just a bit bland. Any tricks to make it less bland, or is that the nature of it?
    If you like it tart, lemon juice is absolutely a great way to go. I tend to make fruit smoothies with lots of lemon juice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast