Thread: Frank's Journal (catchy title, huh?) page

Fdispenza is offline Senior Member

Frank's Journal (catchy title, huh?)

Primal Fuel
    I thought I would start a journal to record some of my brainfarts, instead of clogging up the main forums with my... well... brainfarts. This first one is going to be something of a humdinger.

My backstory:

Male, 56 y/o.
    Height 5'5"
    Weight 201 lbs
    Waist 42"
    Body fat, best guess using calcs. is 30%
    Biceps 16.25"
    Neck 17"
    Workouts 3-4 x/week, mainly weight training, higher reps.
    Ethnicity is allegedly Italian and Sicilian (more on that at the end).

I am hypothyroid, on meds (T4 and T3). I also take Lamictal, a mood stabilizer for bipolar, which my doc wants me off of, and Wellbutrin. He said that despite the literature, Lamictal can cause weight gain. I tried tapering off it but I went back to being irritable, depressed and on a hair trigger, so I went back on it.

I may be insulin resistant (oral glucose tolerance test showed impaired glucose tolerance), and non-celiac gluten intolerance. I know it seems to be the malady-du-jour, but I get the symptoms... gas and bloating, swelling, sharts, mud butt and the trots when I eat wheat. Besides, once I start, I can't stop. I'm told that's insulin resistance at work. I've gradually been slipping into primal/paleo; or more properly, gradually slipping away from grains like wheat, barley and oats. I just simply will not try eating those grains anymore.

I've been checking my blood sugar, but I was alarmed to find it 137, 117 and 116 this morning, over two hours I tested it, fasted. I ate mostly fat and protein yesterday... OK, I had about 1/4 cup (really ) of Dove chocolate ice cream. The rest of the carbs was some mixed vegs. and about a cup of mixed Spanish vegs like yuca, platano, and ņame (cassava, plaintain, sweet potato, respectively).

The ethnicity question: I was never really convinced we are primarily Mediterranean. Not with a preponderance of fair complexions, blond, reddish and light brown hair in the family, and some family members with light or blue eyes. What prompted this to resurface was a conversation I had at the health store with the manager. I was asking about supplements for controlling my blood sugar, Metabolic Syndrome and insulin resistance. We talked for a while. He explained some migration history and the biology of it to me wrt insulin resistance and gluten intolerance. When I said my background is Italian and Sicilian, he said "no it's not, you're northern European, probably Germanic". Does he know what he's talking about? I have no idea, but I think it's plausible.

My paternal grandfather who was Sicilian (allegedly, at this point), had bright blue eyes. My father said he had platinum blond hair as a boy. My paternal grandmother had blonde hair. The long and short of it is that it's more common in my family to be fair complexioned and light haired. Sicily and southern Italy were invaded and settled by the Norse, among others of course. After the fall of the Roman Empire, Italy was overrun by Germanics.

So there we are. My primal journey begins.
    "Our dearest friend banished, Loki on the throne, Asgard on the brink of war, yet you've managed to consume four wild boars, six pheasants, a side of beef, and two casks of ale. Shame on you, don't you care?"

Fdispenza is offline Senior Member
    Either my new glucose meter is whacked out, or my blood sugar is swinging like George of the Jungle. I admit the test strips are past the printed expiration date, but I don't know if that really means anything. My fingers are washed, to make sure there's no residue of anything I may have touched that has sugar. I do know that glucose meters can be off 10-20% +/-. I have a doctor's appt. next week. He'll draw blood for a CMP. I'll take my own blood reading with the meter and compare it to the lab.
    "Our dearest friend banished, Loki on the throne, Asgard on the brink of war, yet you've managed to consume four wild boars, six pheasants, a side of beef, and two casks of ale. Shame on you, don't you care?"