Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Belt and the Deadlift page 4

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by edennperez1 View Post
    I need to shift some attention to my grip strength. I had to mix grip starting at 250 or so because it was slipping from my hands. I've never revisited that and pushed it to see if I can hold a bit more weight now double overhand. Hhhmmm...I'll think about that on next deadlift day.
    Chalk can be a big help.

Also, don't let your grip slipping compromise your form. Like if you are about to drop the bar, don't do something stupid like suddenly dropping your hips or rounding your back so you can catch it. Just let it drop.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I do work sets with mixed and warmups with double overhand like other here have said. That seems to build my grip. Aren't you supposed to do hook grip rather than double overhand? I never could do it because the bars are too big for my hand. Only one bar is small enough but the knurling on it is like a rasp.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

edennperez1 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Chalk can be a big help.

Also, don't let your grip slipping compromise your form. Like if you are about to drop the bar, don't do something stupid like suddenly dropping your hips or rounding your back so you can catch it. Just let it drop.
    Yes to chalk! I chalk all the time. And don't worry, I drop those suckas when I have to! 😉

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    I need to shift some attention to my grip strength
    i find farmer's walks with big dumbbells and lunges with big heavy dumbbells help there. and chalk always helps.

what is the diff between hook grip and double overhand grip?

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    what is the diff between hook grip and double overhand grip?
    With hook grip, you wrap your thumb around the bar first and then wrap your fingers around your thumb and the bar. It's a more secure grip, but it can hurt when you are first learning it. I think a lot of Olympic lifters tape their thumbs to make the hook grip more comfortable.

Verified by Wikipedia, lol:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hook_grip

StupidFatHobbit is online now Senior Member
    What is a good belt to get on a budget?

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    It'd be better to buy a quality belt that will last a long time, like the ones from Best Belts. Mine was about $80 when I got it, but they've probably increased since then. If you can't afford one now, start saving.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson1775 View Post
    It'd be better to buy a quality belt that will last a long time, like the ones from Best Belts. Mine was about $80 when I got it, but they've probably increased since then. If you can't afford one now, start saving.
    some things in life you just go ahead and pay for highest quality.... anything that goes to health, performance, or safety fit that bill for me. But those are my priorities,,, to each their own.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Not to mention it's one of those "buy nice or buy twice" deals, since a quality belt, like a Best Belt, will last you the rest of your life.

It's kind of like buying dish sponges at the dollar store. They seem like a good deal, but you have to replace them 10 times as often, so in the long run, you lose money.
    The Champagne of Beards

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    With hook grip, you wrap your thumb around the bar first and then wrap your fingers around your thumb and the bar. It's a more secure grip, but it can hurt when you are first learning it. I think a lot of Olympic lifters tape their thumbs to make the hook grip more comfortable.
    i would have to check when i go to the gym next but i am pretty sure i do as close an approximation to this as i can manage. i use the olympic bar so it is the 20kg one. i dont consider my hands to be small and my fingers are quite long but i guess it is all relative. compared to a man's hand they do look small.

slight side note. there were some listings for powerlifting suits on our version of ebay. oh my. $100 second hand and it was supposedly a good price. i can get a suit for squatting and a different suit for deadlifting, knee wraps and bench press shirts!!!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast