Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal works, I'm going to prove it! page

Susie80 is offline Junior Member

Primal works, I'm going to prove it!

Primal Fuel
    My first day!
    I'm going to eat primal for 30 days! Food first and eventually incorporate more primal exercise. I've never been very fit so its kind of daunting. My main plan is big breakfasts, fast most of the day, then a medium dinner.

6am Breakfast: 2 egg omelette with spinach and salsa cooked in butter . 3 strips of streaky bacon diced and fried with a cup of sliced mushrooms.

12:00pm 1/2 hour stroll for my lunch break
    12:30pm Coffee with cream (my only cup of the day!)

5:00pm teaspoon of coconut oil to keep me going till dinner
    5:15 Cup of tea with a dash of milk

6:30pm Lamb chops cooked in the slow cooker with a tin of tomatoes, chilli flakes, all spice, a dash of balsamic, garlic and onions. Steamed broccoli.

8:30pm bowl of green olives shared with my man (couldn't quite shake the after dinner snack habit!)

I did have plans to go for a walk after work as well, but I ended up taking my stepson to the doctor as he's been off work for a couple of days and then I did the food shopping. Middle of winter here so its starting to get pretty dark and miserable by 5, so I caved and had a cup of tea (no sugar heh heh) instead. Not having lunch wasn't a problem, breakfast really filled me up and the coffee with cream was a nice midday treat. Just waiting for dinner now and am starting to feel hungry. So its worked out well. I'm not sure if its wise to skip lunch everyday? Some days should I eat a smaller breakfast and include lunch?
    Last edited by Susie80; 06-28-2010 at 11:29 AM.

sebzzz is offline Member
    I would definitely eat lunch. I think it's already a big change to be doing 100% primal so you don't need to tweak some more already.

I understand your goal is probably to lose weight, but those things will come and in the beginning your body will need all the calories and nutrients it needs to fix any damage or deficiency from a regular diet. Only after the body has what it takes will it reward you with weight-loss.

I would personally cut the coffee way before skipping meals, especially in the beginning. Fasting, in my opinion, is a tool for the advanced Grokers already well into the diet.

Hope this helps
    Get great paleo diet lifestyle tricks, recipes and cooking tips. My contribution to the paleo movement.

Thats some good advice, thanks sebzzz. Maybe I could fast once a week, I was surprised with how natural eating a large breakfast and then going all day without a meal felt.
    Btw Is it the caffeine in coffee that makes it an issue? Could I substitute with decaf?

sebzzz is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Susie80 View Post
    Thats some good advice, thanks sebzzz. Maybe I could fast once a week, I was surprised with how natural eating a large breakfast and then going all day without a meal felt.
    Btw Is it the caffeine in coffee that makes it an issue? Could I substitute with decaf?
    Caffeine is certainly an issue for a lot of people. You can always go with the decaf even though some people still experience sleeplessness even on decaf.

One of the offenders in caffeine is the fact that it raises cortisol levels. With high cortisol your body is in a constant state of stress, your insulin is higher and you end up keeping or gaining some weight on the long term.

Stay with the decaf, but just don't make it an excuse for skipping a meal, especially if you're really hungry. Fasting once a week seems like a good idea, but do it only if you have excellent sleep, nutrition and otherwise feel very good. Doing otherwise would stress the body too much.
    Get great paleo diet lifestyle tricks, recipes and cooking tips. My contribution to the paleo movement.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Many of us here regularly fast and find it very healthy. If it felt normal to you, and you are interested in "rapid fat loss, major health improvements and extremely impressed relatives!" then don't hesitate to incorporate intermittent fasting into your primal lifestyle. I fast regularly. I am currently 26 hours into a fast. I will break it with coffee and coconut milk.

Welcome aboard Susie. Seems like we have a nice little group forming from NZ.

Thanks for the encouraging words grol!
    Day 2
    Made a good dent in the primal blueprint last night
    Bring on the day! meal plan....

Breakfast: Lamb chop (left overs yay!) and 2 small chunks of kumara. (combined they were no bigger than an egg)

Lunch: 2 egg omelette cooked in butter with spinach and diced red peppers, cup of coffee with cream. (can't give up everything all at once!)

5pm: spoonful of coconut oil to keep me going!

Dinner: Left over lamb chop sliced and tossed through some cooked veges (cauli, broccoli, red peppers, mushoroms roasted with chilli flakes and olive oil) and a bit of diced bacon

Spent almost an hour in the garden pruning, I figure thats pretty close to "gatherer" lol.
    Last edited by Susie80; 06-29-2010 at 12:25 AM.

groquette is offline Senior Member
    Way to Susie! Sounds like you're off to a great start :-) I think that for most people in the beginning it's helpful to eat when hungry / til full, and once the body has been nourished and insulin starts getting under control fasting gets a lot easier. Others are able to jump right in to the fasting with both feet. Best of luck with this however you decide to do it!

sebzzz is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by groquette View Post
    Way to Susie! Sounds like you're off to a great start :-) I think that for most people in the beginning it's helpful to eat when hungry / til full, and once the body has been nourished and insulin starts getting under control fasting gets a lot easier. Others are able to jump right in to the fasting with both feet. Best of luck with this however you decide to do it!
    Well said Groquette. I often worry about people getting too exited about fasting and losing weight that they go too fast and might end up stressing the body too much, witch would be at best counter productive for weight-loss.

I say put your body in the sate it wants to be hormone wise and insulin wise and only then will you see the true benefits if trying to lose weight.

Well last night was a disaster, after dinner about 10pm I got ravenous and ate two nut bars (350 calories and 28g carbs all up).
    It wasn't my best moment. I have an after dinner snack habit that I need to break. But damnit I felt good eating them, then when they were gone.... I didn't feel so great. I did enjoy having some olives the other night, so maybe enjoying a small handful size serve after tea will reduce my cravings for sweet snacks.

Todays Menu:

Breakfast: 2 strips of streaky bacon and two eggs cooked in butter

Lunch: 50g smoked salmon and a couple of tablespoons of pesto.

After work snack: about a dozen green olives, spoonful of coconut oil and a cup of green tea.

Dinner: Greek spiced shrimp with feta cheese.

As for the ingredients of the store bought pesto, the oil they use is canola, Blech! and its lots of nuts all high in omega 6's I suppose. So thats bad for the inflammation, hopefully its cancelled out by all the salmon I ate? I might have an extra fish oil cap tonight. I won't be eating that again.
    I was still hungry after lunch ( I wasn't really thinking back, I was just craving sweet things!), so I went across to the dairy, with the excuse of buying a lottery ticket. I stared and stared at those chocolate bars. I very nearly bought one, but at the last minute I decided I didn't want a repeat of last night and I ended up with a coke zero instead. I know Diet soda ain't great, but its better than a chocolate bar! I did feel good not giving into chocolate temptation. I hear that the desire for sweet foods eventually fades, fracking hope so!
    Last edited by Susie80; 06-29-2010 at 10:01 PM. Reason: added afternoon snack! :-P

shadgal is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Susie, last night I fancied something sweet after dinner too (it's a terrible habit and hard to break I know) so I had a half chopped banana, spoonful of almond butter and a dollop of whipped cream and in my hand one square of Lindt 85% to nibble inbetween mouthfuls, of course I should have just chopped or melted it and put it on top but I was in a hurry to watch the new series of River Cottage on Prime. It was really nice, rich filling and I wasn't starving this morning. Oh, I then nibbled the gelatinous bits off my canon bone that I had been making broth/stock from and any meaty bits so that was a bit piggy but very primal!
    I see there are a few of us from Noo Zilland here?
    By the way good luck with going 'primal' from Palmy North!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast