Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Insulin Resistance page

Fdispenza is offline Senior Member

Insulin Resistance

Primal Fuel
    Just when you think you know most or all of what there is to know about something, along come things you didn't know. Insulin resistance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am insulin resistant as part of being diagnosed with Metabolic Syndrome. I have the abdominal fat to show for it, slightly elevated blood glucose, very elevated trigs, low HDL. According to the article some symptoms of i.r., which I have, include brain fog and inability to focus, intestinal bloating, weight gain, fat storage, difficulty losing weight, depression, increased hunger at times, especially my inability to stop eating carbs if I start (yes, I basically did a copy/paste of the list... why re-invent the wheel? ).

There is one contradiction I found in the article that a low carb diet can reduce insulin resistance, yet a high fat diet can increase it. That study was done on rats, however. Overall it seems that reducing i.r. is one more reason for eating primal/paleo.
    "Our dearest friend banished, Loki on the throne, Asgard on the brink of war, yet you've managed to consume four wild boars, six pheasants, a side of beef, and two casks of ale. Shame on you, don't you care?"

Elliot is online now Senior Member
    Magnesium deficiency causes insulin resistance and most type 2 diabetics are deficient in magnesium. I'm surprised this doesn't get more attention.

Thanks for pointing that out. I never had my magnesium levels checked, just Vitamin D. A calcium & magnesium supplement is supposed to help with sleep too. I wouldn't be surprised if my mag. was low too. Maybe I'll start the cal-mag treatment again. I don't sleep well worth a s***.
    "Our dearest friend banished, Loki on the throne, Asgard on the brink of war, yet you've managed to consume four wild boars, six pheasants, a side of beef, and two casks of ale. Shame on you, don't you care?"

fishingirl is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fdispenza View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out. I never had my magnesium levels checked, just Vitamin D. A calcium & magnesium supplement is supposed to help with sleep too. I wouldn't be surprised if my mag. was low too. Maybe I'll start the cal-mag treatment again. I don't sleep well worth a s***.
    Interesting. My husband is type II diabetic and a lot of what you described sounds a lot like him. I'm wanting to get him started on paleo to see if it helps him out. I will have to tell him about the supplementing too... he never seems to have energy and does not sleep well either.

I haven't been on/stuck to paleo long enough to see any change, but I hope to this time. My doc has a fit over my trigs, which are sometimes >300. Trigs. are a result of carb intake, not fat, which is something that is lost on a lot of doctors. I have to especially avoid wheat, not only for the non-celiac gluten intolerance, but because once I start eating pizza, pasta or bread I can't stop. I can be full to discomfort, but I will keep eating it. Whole wheat doesn't do that to me though. I hope it works out for your hubs.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    To say that Mg deficiency CAUSES insulin resistance is a strong word. This link has long been recognized, and it is very controversial as to the "chicken or the egg" issue.....in other words, which comes first? Some of the first studies on this correlation were in the early 80's. Here is one of the two recent ones out of Harvard:

Magnesium Intake and Risk of Type 2 Diabetes in Men and Women

At present, the most highly defended position is that chronically high blood glucose damages the kidneys, changing the mechanisms of the Na/Mg pathway. For this reason, there is a lack of Mg reabsorption at the critical area of glomerular filtration. Because of this, the registered Mg levels will by default decline. I am not totally convinced by this logic, however it does not affect treatment that much.

My policy is that everyone that shows metabolic syndrome markers, mostly based on HbA1c and glucose bolus testing, will start on a regimen of supplementation. This cocktail includes Magnesium, but it is not the only thing I feel is necessary. In essence, I treat all early metabolic syndrome patients as if they have marked renal impairment, with nutrient replacement similar to what is used in an emergent situation of renal failure.....nearly all are water soluble, so the body will well regulate any excess.

Mg I usually dose like this:
    18 years old and under (I.E. Type I) 420mg for males and 350mg for females, with adjustments for weight and kidney markers (creatinine, etc)
    Adults, Type II= 400-460 mg for males and 310 mg for women, however these move a lot as well.

I believe that the end-organ effects of high blood glucose over long periods are only beginning to be understood at all. I have seen similar findings about impairment of liver, splenic, small intestine, and gallbladder function in links to metabolic syndrome. For me, I make the assumption that an enumerable number of nutrient pathways are compromised, and proceed from there.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by TheyCallMeLazarus; 03-28-2014 at 12:24 PM.
    "Man is born free.....but everywhere he is in chains."

Wow, that's great info. Fortunately I'm not diabetic (yet)... at least not according to my doc. My A1c has been in the mid 5s and my fasting blood glucose sometimes tops off in the high 90s to 101, 102ish. But I did show impaired glucose tolerance with a 2 hour ogtt some years ago. I'd still prefer to treat it as if I were diabetic.

fishingirl is offline Member
    Fdispenza: husband developed pancreatitis back in 2010 from high trigs. I was told about paleo some time after that and dieticians had a fit with me when I asked about it "too much fat!!". I've decided somethings gotta give because his insulin was just increased and so I started my research journey.
    Good luck to you as well!

Thanks.

Elliot is online now Senior Member

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast