Thread: My "I hate vegetables" Primal Diet page

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member

Question My "I hate vegetables" Primal Diet

So, I'm a big guy who works out hard in the gym (powerlifting) and out in the field (strongman training) and I'd like to lose another 50 pounds. My goal is to lose weight more slowly this time around, at a rate of about 2 pounds/week. Oh, and I hate almost all vegetables. I may try some new things, in time, but for now this is what I have planned:

morning: omega-3 eggs, uncured bacon (or ham or sausage), high-quality cheddar cheese, organic coconut oil
    mid-day: hormone-free heavy cream w/organic mixed berries -or- plain greek-style yogurt and a handful of raw almonds
    evening: a large serving of beef seared in grass-fed beef tallow with a side of vege's (sometimes potatoes or carrots)

Approx. 65% fat, 20% protein, and 15% carbohydrate and 3000 calories. According to Fitday, I'll be coming in low (mostly slightly) on thiamine, pant. acid, folate, calcium, and vit. c.

The only supplements I take are Carlson's Fish Oil (irregularly) and 5,000 i.u. Vit. D.

IF'ing will be included at least once/week.

Thoughts?
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokaman70 View Post
    S According to Fitday, I'll be coming in low (mostly slightly) on thiamine, pant. acid, folate, calcium, and vit. c.
    low on the calcium is a good thing since you're taking vitamin d. the rda for calcium is too high.

you really do though need the the b complex vites and imo, the C. Are you really meeting magnesium and zinc needs?

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    >> low on the calcium is a good thing since you're taking vitamin d. the rda for calcium is too high.

cillakat, I'm intrigued by your post. I religiously take 1200-1500 mg of Ca every day, and am also trying to bring my 25(OH) D levels to optimal using high doses (usually around 20,000 IU/day). I'm very interested to hear why RDA of Ca is too high. Can you include some links? Thanks!

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by healthseekerKate View Post
    >> low on the calcium is a good thing since you're taking vitamin d. the rda for calcium is too high.

cillakat, I'm intrigued by your post. I religiously take 1200-1500 mg of Ca every day, and am also trying to bring my 25(OH) D levels to optimal using high doses (usually around 20,000 IU/day). I'm very interested to hear why RDA of Ca is too high. Can you include some links? Thanks!
    I was wondering the same thing haha. I heard calcium is good for weight loss.

To the OP: Isn't 3,000 way too low for a dude your size?
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    you really do though need the the b complex vites and imo, the C. Are you really meeting magnesium and zinc needs?
    Magnesium is about exactly 100% and zinc's 230%.

I'll prob. throw a multi-vitamin in there once I get some spare change to spend.
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    To the OP: Isn't 3,000 way too low for a dude your size?
    Assuming 4500 calories/day is my maintenance level, this plan puts me at a 1500 calorie deficit/day, x 7 days = 10500 which should bring me to the 3 pounds lost/week goal.

I'd love to eat more but the math works.

Brevity is key right now..... Typing on my iPhone. William Davis of heartscan had a great calcium post the other day. And it makes sense. How in the world would we obtain 1000-1500 mg calcium in an environment of evolutionary adaptation. We couldn't have. And optimizing D means significantly increasing calcium absorption which means we need to reduce it accordingly

EReardo1 is offline Junior Member
    Be careful with zinc- too much blocks absorption of other nutrients and can interfere with your immune system

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by EReardo1 View Post
    Be careful with zinc- too much blocks absorption of other nutrients and can interfere with your immune system
    iPhone again. Because of his extreme exercise, he needs more zinc than he average person. While he probably wouldn't want to take a zinc containing multiple or other zinc supplement in addition to what he's getting, 35 mg of zinc per day is definitely not too much.

In fact even in a less active person, extra zinc intake doesn't become problematic until it's above 40-45 mg for some time *and* copper intake is not maintained in sufficient ratio

Most don't get enough zinc.