Thread: Jen's Primal Journey page

JenPoston is offline Member

Talking Jen's Primal Journey

Shop Now
    My name is Jennifer and I'm tired of being a fat mom. I had an excuse right after my twins were born. I'd just had a C-section. I had two newborns to take care of. My husband was away with the Navy and it was hard to do it all on my own and find time to eat right and be healthy. Well now my husband is out of the Navy, my C-section has long since healed, and my twins are turning 4 this summer. I have no excuse left.

I've started and stopped this weight loss journey so many times I lost count. I can't afford to quit again. This WILL be the last time I "start a diet". I am committed to making the PB way of life be a constant for me.

About me:

Weight: 235
    Height: 5' 6.5"
    Body Fat %: 46%
    Health: Constant joint pain that I believe is associated with gluten consumption. I tested negative for Celiac Disease but any time I quit eating gluten for 3-days or more my joint pain decreases considerably. I've also had female hormone imbalances my entire life which also led to some fertility issues in the past.

Goals: I'd like to weigh around 165-170. I have always had high muscle mass and weighed more than I appear to. A weight of 165-170 is a size 8/10 dress size for me, and I think that is an appropriate and attainable goal.

I'd like to drop my body fat % down to at LEAST 30%. I'll start with that as my first goal and create new goals from there.

I'd like to gain some strength back that I've lost since I quit working and decided to stay home with my twins.

I want to be able to chase my kids around the park and not feel like I always just want to sit down.

I want to wake up in the morning after 8hrs of sleep and actually feel rested.

I want to drop the weight and drop the gluten that makes my joints feel like those of an 80yr old versus those of a 30 year old.

I want to run a 5k. I've always wanted to run a 5k but my weight and joint pain has always held me back. I've never had any kind of endurance for running and have never in my life been able to run a mile without stopping, let alone 3.2 miles. I don't care to win the race, but I'd love to just finish one without stopping.

Most of all I want to be a role model for health for my daughter. I never had a good role model in either of my parents growing up and grew up with a very negative body image (even though I've been thin most of my life). I don't want my thin daughter to always look in the mirror and see something she hates like I did. (Now I'm dying to get that body back that I foolishly hated for so many years!)

Plan of action: I'm a cheater. I love to sneak a piece of dark chocolate and forget about it. And then sneak another. And then another. And then I feel like I totally screwed up my day so I may as well just go ahead and order a pizza for dinner. No more cheating!

Some people on the message boards are starting Whole 30 on April 1, 2014 and I plan to do it with them. I restarted my Primal eating journey last Monday (today is Friday) but I've already sneaked a few pieces of dark chocolate and a bite of my husband's birthday cake! It's a slippery slope, I tell ya! My plan for the Whole 30 is to remain grain free, sugar free, and CHEATING FREE for 30 days. (I have no issues with small amounts of dairy and haven't been able to do without a little butter here and there or cream in my coffee, so I won't be cutting out dairy unless I find that it's a problem for me. If you know if a reason why that is a foolish plan, then please let me know! I want to succeed!)

I don't have a plan for after my Whole 30 challenge. I just want to focus on succeeding in that and then I'll see where it takes me. I'm hoping I'll have developed some good habits after those 30 days and it will all become more second nature.

Wish me luck!

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome!

Some Advice:
    -Don't be too hard on yourself. I have been Primal for 3.5 years have not been perfect in any way, and yet have lost 75 lbs. My issue is a binge eating disorder.

-Follow the Primal basics for a while before making changes.
    .5-1 gram protein per pound of LBM (Lean Body Mass calculators can be found on the web.)
    50-150 grams of carb (Do not feel as if you must go very low carb, under 50. I am losing on 150+.)
    Fat variable according to needs. (I eat 40-50% fat)

-I do find it helps to know how many calories I burn daily.

-Find some Journal friends who have similar lives and goals.

Good Luck!
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Thank you for the advice!

So far, so good. I'm on my 6th Primal day and doing well. I'm down 5.4lbs total from where I started. I was very bloated from eating junk so I'm sure that most of this is water weight lost so I'm trying to keep that in mind as I go into my second week, so as not to let myself get discouraged if my rate of weight loss decreases.

Yesterday was a small non-scale victory for me. We were out doing some shopping and it was dinner time and we were all hungry and ready to eat ASAP. Normally in this situation we'd just stop into the nearest restaurant and eat whatever unhealthy thing struck our fancy. But I sort of rushed us all through the store and back home where we ate the local grass-fed steak and veggie kabobs that I had planned for us. It was delicious and I felt proud that I didn't cave in a moment that I normally would have. Especially since my husband was begging for Mexican. Seriously, trying to avoid eating those chips, and rice, and refried beans? It would be SO hard so I'm glad I made the choice I did!

My biggest issue right now is wanting to eat at night. Sometimes I think that I want something just plain out of habit when I'm not actually hungry. And other times I really am hungry and my stomach is growling. It's hard to figure out what to do in those situations when I've met my nutritional requirements for the day (with macros in check, and enough calories) but I'm legitimately hungry. We usually have some fancy cheese or salami in the fridge so sometimes I'll indulge in a tiny bit of that (about an ounce or two), and sometimes I just ignore it and chug some water and go to bed early. I'm hoping that the nighttime hunger will decrease as my body adjusts some more and this change becomes more second nature than it is right now.

Until then I'm just counting it down until April 1 when I start Whole30. I'm ready to see some big changes.

I haven't updated in a while.

Right after my last post my son got an awful stomach bug. Then my daughter got it. Then my husband got it. Then I got it. Ugh! It's been a disgusting weekend and week at my house full of the grossest of bodily fluids. I'll just leave it at that. Up until I got sick on Monday my eating was going really well. I'll be darned if I could tell you a single thing I ate up until then, but I know that I stayed on track.

Monday, Tuesday, and yesterday were sort of a wash. I didn't eat a bite of food on Monday or Tuesday and never left the bed, I was just that sick. Yesterday I was up and about a bit more and did ok. A salad for lunch with an avocado lime dressing and grilled chicken. Dinner was roasted pork, baked sweet potato fries, and broccoli. I'm still feeling a bit weak and anytime I eat something I get some pretty rough stomach cramps, but I'm hoping by this weekend I'll be back to 100%.

My husband and I are also joining a gym this weekend so I'm looking forward to getting moving some more. I'm feeling weak and not nearly as strong as I used to be when I was working every day (as a chef, hauling 50lb cases of chicken, and 50lb bags of flour like it was nothing) and now just lifting my 35lb kid into the car seat feels like a massive accomplishment. I'm ready to start lifting weights and getting my strength back!

Mostly, I'm just feeling good. In the past I would have let something like the stomach virus just totally turn me around and give me an excuse to binge on crackers and bread but I didn't this time. I'm just going to keep on keeping on. Shit (and stomach viruses) happen in life, and I can't let that stop me. I've got this.

Mama_Pie is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Hi Jen! Sounds like we have do have a few things in common and we both can use a cheerleader! Nice to meet you.

I am 37, 5'3" and probably back up to around 200lbs.. although I'm leaving the scale out of it for now. I am a single mama to daughters ages 3 and 13. Kicked my Italian husband out of the house last year when I found out he'd been stopping off for tuna sandwiches before he came home to roast beef for dinner (read: affair.) So at least I don't have to cook pasta for dinner anymore! Bonus! Although my 3 year old half Italian girl does tell me sometimes " I NEED PASTA MAMA!" Lol. Must be in her blood!

Sorry to hear that bug took your whole house down for a week! Yikes! Congratulations on getting through it with no excuses. And I love love love that you say "I've got this." Awesome attitude!

Looking forward to having someone to keep up with on MDA! Take care
    37 F Too many lbs
    Goal: Health

Started Primal 2011
    Restarted Primal March 2014

"Be so happy that when others look at you they become happy too."
    Fortune cookie