Thread: Eating primal and training for a 10k mud run page

soprimal is offline Junior Member

Eating primal and training for a 10k mud run

Hey Everyone,

This is my first post here in the forum and I'm really looking forward to getting involved. My brother turned me on to the primal blueprint about 2 months ago and it's been working great. I've lost nearly 10 lbs, gotten way stronger, and put on a good amount of muscle since i started.

My diet: I aim to consume less than 100-150 carbs daily, and most of them come from fruits and vegetables. I've been taking a whey supplement to get me to around 150-200 grams protein/day. The rest of my diet are good fats (avocado, nuts, yogurt, raw milk cheese, eggs, etc) and I also take an omega 3 supplement.

Some of my coworkers encouraged me to sign up for a 10K mud run, which is basically a 10k on a dirt trail with military obstacles along the way. I have another 3 weeks to train and wanted to get some input from you guys.

I've been continuing to do strength training for about 45min-1hour 3 times/week in addition to running about 2 times per week. I've been gradually increasing my runs and am now doing about 4-5 miles at 9-10 minutes per. I've also been throwing some sprints in there.

I wanted to see if you guys had any diet or training tips. You always hear about runners loading up on carbs and I wanted to see what you all thought I should be consuming to optimize my performance. If anyone could chime in with recommended carb intake for effective running, when to consume, and what foods to focus on, i'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    How did your mud run go? And tips looking back hindsight? My husband and I are planning on doing the Survivor Mud Run - 5K in April.
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

canadianwoman is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Momto3 View Post
    How did your mud run go? And tips looking back hindsight? My husband and I are planning on doing the Survivor Mud Run - 5K in April.
    Mud runs are great. Dirty as all heck but great!!