Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The ULTIMATE and COOLEST gelatin thread EVER MADE. page

TQP
    TQP is offline Senior Member

The ULTIMATE and COOLEST gelatin thread EVER MADE.

Primal Fuel
    There was a thread like this a long time ago, but it was back when gelatin was seen as a weird Peaters' thing and MDA'ers shamefully took gelatin in the alleyways hoping no one will out them.

Now there's a new dawn... so we shall have a new thread!

Post your recipes, questions, research, and testimonials on gelatin/bone broth right in this thread. Or just post pretty pictures of your latest gelatin creations. Troubleshooting recipes is also welcome. Hopefully this will prevent the duplicity of questions and threads asking the same darn thing every 4 threads. Also this will ensure we all have one place to check instead of ...20.

-TQP

--------------------------

Recipe Links (To Be Updated)

--------------------------

Q&A

Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    OK, first question, Beef Gelatin or Pork? whats the difference (nutritionally speaking) which is better & why..?
    Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post
    Glycine is higher in Pork, so if you're using gelatin to balance aminos, pork is slightly better. I take both.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfi56 View Post
    Weird question, but has anyone found a "cleaner" way to make bone broth? Made it yesterday, and it was delicious but required a lot of dishes to take out the bones, strain it twice, etc. =more dishes to clean, which me no likey. Although homemade of course has lots of benefits, it was kind of expensive to make, considering it was $7 for a batch of grassed beef bones from the butcher vs buying a can of broth for $2.
    Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    I make beef broth once a week or two in a slow cooker. I pour the final product into mason jars and store in the fridge. After dumping out the bones, the only vessel to clean is the slow cooker. I don't bother with straining.. I also don't use grass-fed because there's none here. I take out the fat after the broth solidifies.
    --------
    Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    Just starting to learn about gelatin. Looks like Great Lakes collagen hydrolysate may be the most convenient way to take it. My main question is: what makes gelatin or collagen better than regular old protein you get in grass fed beef or bison?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannakb View Post
    My understanding is gelatin and collagen are unessential proteins because your body can synthesize them.
    But my thinking is if it doesn't have to synthesize them then my body can use the protein else where and my body doesn't have to work harder to heal itself

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
    Hayy.

Basic Technique: How to Work with Gelatin | The Kitchn

" Blooming" Gelatin

From the first link:

GELATIN: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD

The Health Benefits of Gelatin: Why I drink Green Jello

Gelatin, stress, longevity

It's a Ray Peat concept but it's also backed up by therapeutic effects on joints/hair/other connective tissues (makes sense, since gelatin is derived from connective tissues). Many have reported alleviation of joint pains and etc. If you're exercising, it also aids recovery.

Not all protein is created equal. The amino acid ratios are wildly different. Our ancestors ate a lot more connective tissues than we did, so they got a better calcium/phosphate and cysteine/proline+glycine ratio. Just eating muscle meat without supplementing gelatin would create a stressful imbalance of amino acids and etc in your body.

Unessential proteins means every amino acid in the protein can be (theoretically) produced by our human body. I'm not sure why people tout it as a big deal, because just because you body CAN theoretically produce said aminos, doesn't mean supplementing more of such would not be beneficial. I'm not going into activation energy or le chatelier's or whatever, but let's just say as long as I get in some of the essential amino acids daily, I don't worry about this "essential vs. non-essential" stuff. Gelatin is useful beyond a simple protein source, AND it helps your body utilize the other proteins you ingest more readily.

Also, eating more gelatin shifts the le chatelier equilibrium to build MORE connective tissues. Eating more protein in GENERAL shifts the le chatelier equilibrium to build MORE muscles. Eating adequate essential amino acids prevents said amino acids from becoming the limiting reagents in building muscles.

Probably oversimplifying the body...but at least that's how I see it. Peeps are free to correct me.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by Giblets View Post
    A few things I forgot to mention about gelatin in my post above ...

I have to clip my fingernails almost weekly because they grow FAST.

Facial hair grows faster, including eyebrows (I'm male, BTW). I almost never had to trim eyebrows before, but now they look psycho-shaggy after a month or so.

Minor skin abrasions heal faster. I notice it because my cat plays rough and I always have cat scratches on my hands ... which heal MUCH faster than they used to. So I believe my skin is healthier.

Dissolve your gelatin powder (bloom it?) before eating it. Otherwise it can get all the way through your stomach and into your colon and cause gas/bloat, sort of like resistant starch. It's a healthy thing, but you'll fart more -- not jet propelled or anything, but you'll notice an increase in windage if you don't dissolve the gelatin powder early on.
    ------
    Quote Originally Posted by littleg View Post
    Specifically what kind of bones are you guys using for beef and chicken stock?

I tried chicken stock the other day with 2 lbs of bones (every time we made chicken I tossed the bones into the freezer). I added 6 cups of water (maybe 8) to the bones and some onions, carrots and celery. About 2 tbsp ACV (didn't measure - quick pour) and let it simmer for 24 hours. Totally didn't gel. What did I do wrong? Too much water? Precooked bones?

I'd like to try beef stock since the bones seem so much bigger in my ignorant thinking I thought this might help What are you buying? Are you using raw bones? How long are you cooking? Is there some "perfected" bone:water ratio? If you skim the fat does the quality of the meat matter? They sell chicken feet at my local big box grocery store but I shudder at the thought of the conditions those chickens were raised in... does it matter?

Thanks!
    I save the bones from whatever I am gnawing on (shanks, etc) but I tend to buy (beef, lamb, veal) neckbones for making bone broth. I take out the meat after cooking 4 hours and eat that, maybe drink a little bit of the soup, and then add more water + vinegar.

It's a cheap cut of meat and I get bone broth. Win win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    Chicken necks are great for gelatine too.
    Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    Chicken feet and beef feet gels really well. Beef has a much stronger odor than chicken though.

I've cooked beef tendons in the slow cooker, and the broth gelled as well.

Nowadays, I save all bones from any meat we've eaten, and include them in the batch along w/ the feet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfi56 View Post
    The last time I made chicken stock I just used the chicken carcass left over from a whole roasted chicken. Worked fine.

------
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleen View Post
    Does making jello work if you just buy like 100% grape juice or cranberry juice? Should I water it down maybe?

The coconut milk sounds delish. I can't remember what it's called, but there was this dessert they had in Italy. It was like milk jello, drizzled caramel on it. Or something. Very yummy.
    Pannacotta? I love that shit.
    Juice jello works! I love that.
    ------
    Quote Originally Posted by Badgerfaced View Post
    My favourite use of gelatin is to make coconut panacotta.

1 tin coconut cream
    2 teaspoons honey or maple syrup
    1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
    1.5 teaspoons of gelatin powder

Pour half the can into a saucepan, add gelatin, vanilla and honey and slowly heat, do not boil. Stir and let gelatin 'bloom'
    take off heat and add the rest of the can.

Pour into small ramikins or bowls and regrigerate an hour or two until set.

I usually serve with some passionfruit pulp and a dollop of thick cream.

Heaven
    Last edited by TQP; 09-05-2014 at 12:18 PM.

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    OK, first question, Beef Gelatin or Pork? whats the difference (nutritionally speaking) which is better & why..?
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

TQP
    Glycine is higher in Pork, so if you're using gelatin to balance aminos, pork is slightly better. I take both.

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    thats handy cause they(iherb) wont ship beef gelatin to the UK but I can get pork type shipped
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    I feel like a tool marking my place, but I have nothing to add constructively

But I am intending to add gelatin to my next bone broth batch, so I shall glean from the temple's wisdom.

M.

Elliot is offline Senior Member
    I buy beef tendon and slow cook it. Then I add molasses and make a sort of molasses jello.

TQP

The ULTIMATE and COOLEST gelatin thread EVER MADE.

Anyone who finds/found recipes: post and I will update the first post with links.

Anyone who found less joint pain etc with gelatin: post and I will add quotes to the first post.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I've been occasionally making creme caramel since forever. It's basically very similar to this recipe. I'm thinking to add gelatin to it next time I make some.
    Do you think I should use hydrolyzed, instead of the non-hydrolyzed gelatin dissolved in hot milk?

TQP
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    I've been occasionally making creme caramel since forever. It's basically very similar to this recipe. I'm thinking to add gelatin to it next time I make some.
    Do you think I should use hydrolyzed, instead of the non-hydrolyzed gelatin dissolved in hot milk?
    I think hydrolyzed since the regular stuff will alter the texture?

What does everyone else think? I think you might end up with some sort of jello/pudding thing if you use regular... But not sure.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think hydrolyzed since the regular stuff will alter the texture?
    I have a ton of the regular stuff (plain old Knox and Great Lakes in the red canister). I actually like the jell-o texture a lot. My only concern is everything turning very gritty as I bake the custard. I've never baked anything with gelatin before, but dissolving it first should prevent that from happening. Only one way to find out

Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast