Page 26 of 47 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: The ULTIMATE and COOLEST gelatin thread EVER MADE. page 26

Alfi56 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post
    Yeah. I hate cold showers too. Trust me though... You will notice a big difference within a week if you stop hot showers. Go as cold as you can tolerate. Then when you are about to exit the shower, turn it to super cold and blast your hair with it. Helps close the follicles and seal in moisture... Boosting shine.
    I've transitioned to lukewarm showers now, with cold water at the end. Have found that cold water is helping my hair frizziness and overall "puffy" bloated feeling when I'm tired at the end of the day. Skin is still kind of dry but better & less irritated, considering my dorm is SO DRY.
    TQP your hair and skin is SO PRETTY..... what is your hair/skin care routine? Care to share?

FrenchFry is online now Senior Member
    I always had my showers this way: lukewarm (i.e cold for my wife - she needs to have the water at least 6-7 deg. C above my initial water temp) and really cold for 1/2 mn. It really wakes you up and you feel energized afterward. I get very vocal in the shower booth when I do it

TQP
    TQP is offline Senior Member

The ULTIMATE and COOLEST gelatin thread EVER MADE.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfi56 View Post
    I've transitioned to lukewarm showers now, with cold water at the end. Have found that cold water is helping my hair frizziness and overall "puffy" bloated feeling when I'm tired at the end of the day. Skin is still kind of dry but better & less irritated, considering my dorm is SO DRY.
    TQP your hair and skin is SO PRETTY..... what is your hair/skin care routine? Care to share?
    Minimizing PUFA.

Lol.

Just kidding.

Drink more water if your skin looks dehydrated. Try aloe vera gel without alcohol in it. Drop all facial products with alcohols.

I don't know about a routine, but if I don't eat any junk my face is clear from pimples etc.

Skin: less (products) is more. Lifestyle is key.
    -Usually I wash with Dr. Bronner's Castile soap (so cheap! although I am guilty of using other cvs chemical scrubby things) 2x a day. Once in the morning after shower to wash the film of shampoo/conditioner off (I read about this somewhere); once around evening to wash makeup off.
    -Summers I tend to moisturize with 100% aloe vera gel if I remember; winters I use coconut oil or your average jergens. I am not fancy. 50% of the time I forget to moisturize.
    -I wear SPF 50 oil free sunscreen (sensitive skin kinds) in the summer...or winter if I am outside all day.
    -then makeup. :P
    -I do an aspirin scrub (crushed aspirin, sugar) whenever I remember (I am lazy).
    -lifestyle: I think this is key. I don't eat junk, I don't drink/smoke/do drugs (never have), I try to aim for 8 hours of sleep a night, and I stay out of the sun as much as I can (which equates to still on average 30-60 mins outside daily)...I don't tan on purpose. I drink adequate water, and I noticed more fruits have made my skin look healthier. I don't put a lot of effort into actual skin care, but I think lifestyle/diet is 90% there in terms of good skin care. The rest is don't leave makeup on your face o/n and don't wear overload your face with cleanser, makeup remover (I use coconut oil if it's a tough to remove thing), toner, primer, foundation, scrub, mask, night recovery serum, day time moisturizer, eye cream, etc. The less chemicals your face has to get used to the better.

Hair: less is more here too.
    -I change shampoo/conditioner up often. Right now it is

I tend to skew towards ones with less crappy chemicals these days, but once in a while I will buy Garnier fructis because I don't believe in designer beauty brands. (I am not a beauty gal... Sephora is only for a few specific makeup products I know I love and I am out of.)
    - I shampoo+condition every 2-3 days. I shower with lukewarm water (this has helped with dry hair). Other days I either just wash with water or leave it dry and just wash the rest of my body.
    -I don't blow dry or straighten/curl my hair ever, or use hair gel/hairspray, for less hair damage. If you see me in the morning, I am walking to class with wet hair (I air dry).
    -other: no coloring, bleaching, etc. The only hair product aside from shampoo/conditioner I use is sea salt spray (sea salt +water mostly) for more texture. I noticed that I got more hair complements since I ate gelatin, and that my hair stopped being fragile when I went from LC to HC.

So basically my routine is to do as little to both as possible (aside from makeup... )...avoid toxins, feed it nutrients, and let it repair by sleeping a second full cycle nightly.

Oh and I try to eat a tsp of coconut oil here and there for hair/skin.
    Last edited by TQP; 05-02-2014 at 06:36 AM.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    mint julep gelees for yesterday's kentucky derby.

horse head.jpg
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post
    Minimizing PUFA.

Lol.

Just kidding.

Drink more water if your skin looks dehydrated. Try aloe vera gel without alcohol in it. Drop all facial products with alcohols.

I don't know about a routine, but if I don't eat any junk my face is clear from pimples etc.

Skin: less (products) is more. Lifestyle is key.
    -Usually I wash with Dr. Bronner's Castile soap (so cheap! although I am guilty of using other cvs chemical scrubby things) 2x a day. Once in the morning after shower to wash the film of shampoo/conditioner off (I read about this somewhere); once around evening to wash makeup off.
    -Summers I tend to moisturize with 100% aloe vera gel if I remember; winters I use coconut oil or your average jergens. I am not fancy. 50% of the time I forget to moisturize.
    -I wear SPF 50 oil free sunscreen (sensitive skin kinds) in the summer...or winter if I am outside all day.
    -then makeup. :P
    -I do an aspirin scrub (crushed aspirin, sugar) whenever I remember (I am lazy).
    -lifestyle: I think this is key. I don't eat junk, I don't drink/smoke/do drugs (never have), I try to aim for 8 hours of sleep a night, and I stay out of the sun as much as I can (which equates to still on average 30-60 mins outside daily)...I don't tan on purpose. I drink adequate water, and I noticed more fruits have made my skin look healthier. I don't put a lot of effort into actual skin care, but I think lifestyle/diet is 90% there in terms of good skin care. The rest is don't leave makeup on your face o/n and don't wear overload your face with cleanser, makeup remover (I use coconut oil if it's a tough to remove thing), toner, primer, foundation, scrub, mask, night recovery serum, day time moisturizer, eye cream, etc. The less chemicals your face has to get used to the better.

Hair: less is more here too.
    -I change shampoo/conditioner up often. Right now it is

I tend to skew towards ones with less crappy chemicals these days, but once in a while I will buy Garnier fructis because I don't believe in designer beauty brands. (I am not a beauty gal... Sephora is only for a few specific makeup products I know I love and I am out of.)
    - I shampoo+condition every 2-3 days. I shower with lukewarm water (this has helped with dry hair). Other days I either just wash with water or leave it dry and just wash the rest of my body.
    -I don't blow dry or straighten/curl my hair ever, or use hair gel/hairspray, for less hair damage. If you see me in the morning, I am walking to class with wet hair (I air dry).
    -other: no coloring, bleaching, etc. The only hair product aside from shampoo/conditioner I use is sea salt spray (sea salt +water mostly) for more texture. I noticed that I got more hair complements since I ate gelatin, and that my hair stopped being fragile when I went from LC to HC.

So basically my routine is to do as little to both as possible (aside from makeup... )...avoid toxins, feed it nutrients, and let it repair by sleeping a second full cycle nightly.

Oh and I try to eat a tsp of coconut oil here and there for hair/skin.
    Thanks so much! One difference is I blow dry my hair on low heat or cold (bc I shower at nite and I don't want to sleep with wet hair), so I might try air-drying.
    You're lucky Bronners is cheap in NY-Dr. Bronner's Castile soap is so expensive for me here like $10-15/bottle.
    I was 1/2 expecting you to say you rub coconut oil all over daily or something. :P

tonydeluce is offline Member
    This thread has been very helpful to me and wanted to share hands down the best pancakes I have ever eaten ( haven't eaten any pancakes at all for the last couple of years since going Primal ):
    Paleo Coconut Flour Pancakes? with Gelatin

These are better than any pancakes I remember eating! The "Let's Do Organic Coconut Flour" is great in that it resembles actual coconut flakes more than flour ( though I don't have a much experience using flour period :-)

They are a lot more work than I typically devote to making meals ( I am more of a take a few whole items and prepare them rather than making elaborate dishes sort of guy ) to make these more than once a week or a few times a month..

So I have been making a pint of "flavored" ( with the juice of a half of a lemon and some Kal liquid Stevia) with 1 Tablespoon of Great Lakes Gelatin which I have been eating every day to make sure I get some gelatin each day but I am looking for some additional ways to get an extra tablespoon in for a total of two a day.

I have decided to stick with the actual Gelatin because it appears to be less processed than the Collagen and I am a fanatic about not eating processed foods ( my only supplement besides the Gelatin is a one half Tablespoon of Fermented Cod Liver Oil / High Vitamin Butter Oil blend which is basically minimally processed and not exposed to heat ).

Has anyone tried making the Gelatin with two tablespoons per pint instead of one? How does it turn out? Does anyone have any other ways to incorporate an additional tablespoon of the gelatin ( not the collagen ) into their meals?
    Last edited by tonydeluce; 05-04-2014 at 01:38 PM.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    A question about making bone broth. I just recently made chicken bone broth, cooked the bones a bit less than two days. I'd like to make it three but in those 1.5 days, the liquid in the slow cooker reduced by half. It would be getting pretty low after 3... should I just resign myself to less broth or should I top it up with water halfway through? Is the slow cooker letting too much liquid escape? Any suggestions?

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfi56 View Post
    You're lucky Bronners is cheap in NY-Dr. Bronner's Castile soap is so expensive for me here like $10-15/bottle.
    you know to dilute the dr. bronner's, right?

i realize everybody has different skin, but i stopped using cleansers of any kind on my face about 3 years ago and my skin has never been better and within days stopped "needing" moisturizer. warm water and a face-cloth. sometimes a good steam.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    A question about making bone broth. I just recently made chicken bone broth, cooked the bones a bit less than two days. I'd like to make it three but in those 1.5 days, the liquid in the slow cooker reduced by half. It would be getting pretty low after 3... should I just resign myself to less broth or should I top it up with water halfway through? Is the slow cooker letting too much liquid escape? Any suggestions?
    i don't have a slow-cooker, but i keep topping off the water when i make it on the stove-top.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

[QUOTE=noodletoy;1476628]you know to dilute the dr. bronner's, right?

i realize everybody has different skin, but i stopped using cleansers of any kind on my face about 3 years ago and my skin has never been better and within days stopped "needing" moisturizer. warm water and a face-cloth. sometimes a good steam.

wait...does it say that on the bottle? text is so small i never bothered to read the instructions....lol

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by tonydeluce View Post
    This thread has been very helpful to me and wanted to share hands down the best pancakes I have ever eaten ( haven't eaten any pancakes at all for the last couple of years since going Primal ):
    Paleo Coconut Flour Pancakes? with Gelatin

These are better than any pancakes I remember eating! The "Let's Do Organic Coconut Flour" is great in that it resembles actual coconut flakes more than flour ( though I don't have a much experience using flour period :-)

They are a lot more work than I typically devote to making meals ( I am more of a take a few whole items and prepare them rather than making elaborate dishes sort of guy ) to make these more than once a week or a few times a month..

So I have been making a pint of "flavored" ( with the juice of a half of a lemon and some Kal liquid Stevia) with 1 Tablespoon of Great Lakes Gelatin which I have been eating every day to make sure I get some gelatin each day but I am looking for some additional ways to get an extra tablespoon in for a total of two a day.

I have decided to stick with the actual Gelatin because it appears to be less processed than the Collagen and I am a fanatic about not eating processed foods ( my only supplement besides the Gelatin is a one half Tablespoon of Fermented Cod Liver Oil / High Vitamin Butter Oil blend which is basically minimally processed and not exposed to heat ).

Has anyone tried making the Gelatin with two tablespoons per pint instead of one? How does it turn out? Does anyone have any other ways to incorporate an additional tablespoon of the gelatin ( not the collagen ) into their meals?
    You just posted this at the most convenient time! I made banana + egg pancakes yesterday & they totally fell apart because the batter was so thin, so I was looking for a better pancake recipe.
    Did the gelatin properly dissolve in the batter when you made the pancakes?

What are you making "flavored"? Is it "flavored" water? It's fine to add more gelatin, it would just make it a denser "gummy" texture. The 1T/pint is just a guideline, and you can add more or less as you'd like to change the texture.

Page 26 of 47 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast