Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (crunchysue) page

crunchysue Guest

Primal Fuel

I was going to start going primal with the challenge today, but I couldn't wait, so I started last Thursday. I've done similar things before, and had good success (with the exception of sticking with it for more than a year), so I'm excited.

Today I forgot to bring my lunch to work (doh) so I went out to eat, and chose as primal as I could - a Caesar salad with smoked wild salmon.

Since I've had no sugar for the past 4 days, I've become very sensitive to it. Sweet onions in a scramble yesterday tasted like candy to me - delicious. Today, though, my salad made me jittery, so I suspect there was corn syrup or something else evil in the dressing. Live and learn!

One major take-away I've gotten from the Primal Blueprint (I'm half way through the book) and also the book "In Defense of Food" is the difference between FOOD and NOT FOOD. My coworker ordered a sandwich and fries, and I noticed that most everything on his plate was NOT FOOD. Breaded, fried potatoes are NOT FOOD. That huge bun was NOT FOOD. The tortilla chips (it was a Mexican restaurant) were NOT FOOD. The only actual food on his plate was some meat inside the sandwich, and there wasn't much of it. So the moral of this story is that I'm noticing what is FOOD and what is NOT FOOD, and that very much helps me to choose the FOOD.

crunchysue Guest

Recap of Goals:

1. Walk at least 1 mile every day in my VFF's

2. Average 60 carbs per day

3. Average 70 grams of protein per day

Yesterday's Results:

1. Walked 1 mile

2. 65 carbs

3. 61 protein

crunchysue Guest

Yesterday's Results:

1. Walked 1.5 miles

2. 69 carbs

3. 56 protein

I think I need to eat some beef to get more protein.

crunchysue Guest

Yesterday's Results:

1. Walked 1.5 miles

2. 53 carbs

3. 84 protein

The steak really upped my protein. And was delicious!

crunchysue Guest

I think I'm ready to stop counting for now; I think I have the hang of it. If my fat loss slows down significantly, I'll go back to Lose It! and see what's up.

As of a few days ago, I had lost 3 or 4 pounds. An excellent start!

crunchysue Guest

My goal for this weekend is to plan my meals for the whole week. So often I have no food and can't decide what to eat. I'm thinking a menu might help.

crunchysue Guest

Averages for the Week of August 3, 2009

Fat: 114g = 62%

Carbs: 65g = 16%

Protein: 89g = 22%

crunchysue Guest

Haven't updated this in awhile, but I've been pretty much on track since the beginning. A few nights of having a couple glasses of wine or beer, and two of eating some dark chocolate, but those haven't slowed me down.

So far, I've lost 17 lbs. I have maybe 50 or 60 lbs to go - no idea really what my ideal weight is. 120? 130?

Anyway, tomorrow starts Phase II of my Primal Blueprint, wherein I add intense exercise. To date I've been doing lots of low level walking and biking, but that's all. Tomorrow I start my Boot Camp class. I took this class a couple years ago and LOVED it. It's very CrossFit-like and not at all Drill Sergeant-like.

Phase III - fasting - is probably not far behind.

Note that these phases are of my own devising - simply how I have chosen to ramp up to full Grokcicity.