Thread: Kitty's Journey to Primal page

kittykatmeow is offline Junior Member

Kitty's Journey to Primal

Shop Now
    Greetings!

I've been putting off this journal thing due to never being home... But decided I'll just miserably do it on my phone, as it should help me hold myself more accountable. So excuse any ridiculous autocorrects.

I first tried this Primal thing a couple years ago. You see, I train horses and teach riding lessons, and some... Gosh, five years ago, when I was still in that do stupid stuff phase, I took a bad fall. A teenager at the time, I had no money and my parents couldn't be convinced I was badly enough messed up to have body work done (I promise this is relevant). By the time I got my first job nearly two years later, I went straight to yoga, chiropractors, and a deep tissue guy. The consensus was I had a lot of scar tissue in my muscles at that point and it was so adhered that it was making me chiropractically crooked (totally a word).

So. I went on a health binge. Not necessarily eating, but just trying to find the best exercise to combine with the deep tissue I was getting done and be overall healthy. I actually first stumbled across Primal on a horse forum. I was intrigued.

At this point it was roughly three to four years after the fall. I was still all messed up. I read the Primal Blueprint. I went through the health and fitness section at the library. I read Born to Run (that was amazing if you haven't read it), and a bunch of others I don't remember the title's of. I bought vibrams. I went barefoot. But the Primal idea stuck.

I grew up in a vegetarian house (was still living there at the time), and although that's not Primal, I was more in tune than most with how you can't live off grains. Don't get me wrong, I ate a ton. But if I didn't eat enough vegetables I would start to feel sluggish and unwell. That was something I did notice.

So I tried Primal. In a vegetarian house where I couldn't. Cook in the morning due to my mother it was impossible. I gave up and focused on taking away what I could while still eating grains. I.e. less sugar, less gluten, more veggies.

Hail last December. I got my own place. Started eating sandwiches and lunch meat every day. It was delicious at first and I was satiated and full of energy. About a month and a half in. I was under a huge amount of stress. exhausted. Could barely get out of bed in the morning. Surviving eight hours of work and then spending time with my horse was painful. That's when I knew this wasn't right. No matter how tired I am I always love spending time with my horse.

So I remembered that I'd always said to myself when I moved out I should try Primal again. So it began. I learned to cook bacon. I packed salads and homemade chicken for lunch. But all too often dinner consisted of whatever crap my roommates made. And that's where this comes in. I want to hold myself accountable so I cheat less. I can feel the benefits. But I know I'd feel more if I didn't cheat on one whole meal almost every day.

This is not the beginning of Primal for me. But hopefully it is the beginning of doing it 90% right. Some room to cheat, you know.

Sent from my XT1080 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Today thus far.

Got up at 730. Not exactly tired, but did not want to get out of bed.

Breakfast - 3 all beef all natural hot dogs fried in about a tablespoon of butter with (guessing) a couple ounces of sharp cheddar cheese.

I had been eating various meats/eggs with veggie stir fry, but I read somewhere that maybe not eating carbs with breakfast will help prevent early day crashing. So I'm going to try this for a week.

I think I am not that well fat adapted. At first I felt nice and full but not sluggish. But on my drive to work I started yawning. I felt a bit tired and foggy and hungry my first hour at work. Then it cleared up. Made it till about noon (roughly four hours since breakfast), and my blood sugar crashed. Felt tired, weak, all that fun stuff. Had a handful of almonds and two small (about the size of one regular) oranges and was fine. Not hungry at all. So I don't know if that's just my glocygen stores depleted and my body isn't efficient at burning fat or what?

That was noon. It's now around two and I'm eating lunch and not that hungry. I have this super tasty organic chicken drumstick in front of me... Made in a crock pot so it's soft, not dry. And I'm not that hungry. Also have a huge salad to go with it. Going to eat the drumstick even though I'm not hungry. I work outdoors, so I don't have the luxury of eating whenever I am hungry, and I don't yet trust my body not to crash if I don't feed it (and it's a moderately physical job).

Didn't make it through yesterday without cheating. I teach part time, and when your student brings you girl scout cookies I think it's in your contract to eat them. I managed to only eat a few and gave the rest to my coworkers, though.

Late night, so I had a Chipotle bowl for dinner. Rice, no beans, chicken, hot sauce, sour cream, cheese and a buttload of lettuce. They were out of guac.

Despite the cookies, today seems to be better.

Breakfast - 3 all natural all beef hot dogs fried in butter. Don't know his much cheese, but more than yesterday. Eating lunch now at 1245 and I am hungry but not blood sugar crashing. As I said, doing meat cheese and oil/butter no carb breakfasts for a week. See if that works.

I've found being busy really helps. So clearly part of it is just psychological. Right now, for instance, my stomach is fairly adamant that it's past dinner time, but otherwise I feel fine. I'm not tired, not fuzzy, nada. Just hungry. And when I get home I will (Hopefully) do roughly forty minutes of power yoga before dinner.

Today I have not cheated food wise. Lunch was a chicken drumstick coated in butter and spices and half my BAS. Wasn't hungry so I didn't finish. Did have a snack of a small orange, a handful of almonds and some dark chocolate a couple hours later, but it was a very long day at work and I don't think I needed that to make it, but I'm very much afraid of crashing because I used to get horrible blood sugar crashes.

Dinner will be tons of steamed veggies covered on butter, primal cheese sauce, and delicious Parmesan. I eat a lot of dairy cause it's cheaper. My body only seems to object to yogurt, and even then I'm not sure if it's objecting or my body healing cause of the probiotics, because it does not happen all the time and it's not too bad. Just feel a bit off.

Quick question, from what I have read it is okay to eat dairy as long as your body is okay with it, but I am wondering if there is a point where it's too much dairy?

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Hi Kitty. Good question. I don't remember Mark addressing it. I do a LOT of dairy. Lots of cheese, some yogurt, some sour cream, lots of cream. It seems OK. I'm 70 and feel much healthier than when I started Primal 4 years ago. Are you able to do pastured dairy.

Good luck on Primal.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Not really. They don't seem to sell it where I am? And if they did I'm sure it's incredibly expensive, which is my biggest problem with Primal. I don't have a lot of money. I did manage to find some grass fed cheese that wasn't too expensive today, though.

Today was fairly successful. Work had donuts in my face again. Managed only half of one today... Which is better when you consider the last few weekends I've caved into two or three. Otherwise today was healthy food wise. Bacon eggs and cheese and butter for breakfast. Dinner was Primal Alfredo over steamed veggies and a little leftover chicken.

Rough couple days. Completely fell off the metaphorical horse. I fall off real ones, too, so I have to clarify.

Had a really rough night Saturday and slept as long as I could on Sunday and ate junk. Though, I'm pleased to say the junk did not make me feel better and I actually felt bad all day. Not terrible. But my stomach was uneasy and my brain was very slow. Today I went to lunch with my relatives at a pizza place and caved. Mostly because I've had their salads before and they're bad. so. That was a shame. But I got my yoga in and I'm back to it tomorrow. Have a delicious lunch packed for work and planning to have beef sausage for breakfast.

Today was interesting. I tried.

Started off poorly. Roommates left kitchen a huge mess; I was short on time, so ran to local supermarket hoping to pick up something mostly primal. Was hoping sushi. Don't know local market. Couldn't find anything primalish in the to go thing in a hurry, so scurried off to the yogurt isle. Whole milk? Yeah no. That was disappointing. Ended up settling on some almost primal pudding. Didn't have any more sugar or carbs than the crappy nonfat sugar gluttony yogurt. So I had that and a whole milk mocha with coconut oil for breakfast. And by breakfast I mean snacked on all morning because I had no time to eat.

Lunch was a salad and banana. Was going to include chicken but was short on time. So I had the chicken with Alfredo sauce for dinner... And then my boyfriend made pasta... Cause he was having a bad day and it's his comfort food. Yeeeeah. I caved. It's mine, too.

On the plus side despite being exhausted and gone for twelve hours today, I got a little yoga in. Not really exercise, but I'm trying to make it a habit so it's easier to do. I think I'm getting there. And I rode my horse hard. So some exersise there