Thread: hot chocolate page

livewell naturally is offline Junior Member

hot chocolate

Shop Now
    Hi everyone, this is my first post and it may be a stupid question. I have recently been exploring the paleo diet, haven't fully committed though. I read a recipe for hot chocolate on this site using 1 cup coconut milk, 1 date and raw cocoa powder. My question is in 1 date there are aprox 66 calories, 25 carbs 16 grams of sugar. If you look at a good hot chocolate mix the serving size 2 Tablespoons on most mixes is the same calories carbs and sugars or even a bit less... so then why wouldn't we just use the mix as a treat???

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Go ahead have the mix if you like it. I just mix good quality cocoa powder and sugar with milk. If you mix it yourself it's cheaper and you can decide how sweet you want to make it.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I make my cocoa with milk, cocoa powder, vanilla extract and liquid stevia. (Or occasionally raw sugar.) Good stuff.

CappyGrok is offline Junior Member
    The difference in the sugars from the date and the sugars used in the mix, has to do with processing. The date gives you sugar in an unrefined form, alongside the fiber and micro-nutrients stored in the fruit. The refined sugar in the mix is just the sugar, plus you get all of the preservatives and emulsifiers that make the mix blend well.
    Eventually I found that the hot chocolate was sweet enough with out the date, due to the coconut milk.

livewell naturally is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CappyGrok View Post
    The difference in the sugars from the date and the sugars used in the mix, has to do with processing. The date gives you sugar in an unrefined form, alongside the fiber and micro-nutrients stored in the fruit. The refined sugar in the mix is just the sugar, plus you get all of the preservatives and emulsifiers that make the mix blend well.
    Eventually I found that the hot chocolate was sweet enough with out the date, due to the coconut milk.
    Thanks makes sense!