Thread: GAPS / Reactive Hypoglycemia Help page

sketchy is offline Member

Unhappy GAPS / Reactive Hypoglycemia Help

Hello all - very nice to be here. I don't care much for signing up to forums and laying it all out in the first post, but i'm coming to you all in a state of somewhat desperation!

After consuming a high carb diet (lots of bread, rice, lentils, pasta etc) for most of my life, I dropped wheat from my diet around three months ago and felt great. My anxiety seemed to lift, my vision and concentration were all better. This lasted for about two weeks before things started to go down hill. (I'm a skinny guy with hardly any fat on me at all. Not getting enough carbs + no fat stores to burn may be something to do with it?) At that point, I decided to embark on the GAPS diet as I felt I was a suitable candidate for some gut healing. To keep a long story short, I dropped right into the intro diet which is extremely low carb and began really struggling. I took the 'no pain no gain' approach, perhaps quite foolishly, and powered through. It's now three months on and i'm still really struggling. I'm getting around 50-90 carbs a day now along with plenty of fat and protein but am still terribly weak / dizzy all the time. I spoke with a nutritionist who advised me to keep a food diary and was able to point out that I was having episodes of reactive hypoglycaemia. This still seems to be going on as well as the dizziness etc. My main concern is not knowing where to go with things now. When I eat carbs on their own, like an apple or a cooked beetroot, I get heavy and weak almost immediately. Like I said I'm a very skinny guy and don't have the fat reserves to burn like most. I'm also confused as I don't know if I should avoid carbs since they're making me feel this way or be sure to include them to prevent any further intolerance from developing?

I've read a little about reactive hypoglycaemia and i'm concerned about the potential for it leading to diabetes?

I've seen my doctor who said that hypoglycaemia just means I need to eat more and brushed it off, which wasn't really very helpful at all. I've got another appointment next month with a nutritionist but at this stage i'm just feeling really confused and need some advice on how to move things forward thats best for my body. Any experience or advice is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

gdot is offline Senior Member
    When you say you are skinny, does that include around the waist?

Eat a little fruit or starchy veggies with every meal? Eat more frequently? Build some muscle?

There just doesn't seem to be any way that you should be strictly limiting healthy carbs to 50 to 90 grams a day. That's below the recommended amount for steady weight loss. This seems extreme for someone with no fat to loose.

Quote Originally Posted by gdot View Post
    When you say you are skinny, does that include around the waist?
    Big time, I'm about 5ft10 and weight just over 9 stone.

Eat a little fruit or starchy veggies with every meal?
    When I eat straight fruit, like an apple for instance, it seems to instantly fatigue me, almost like somebody has just increased the strength of gravity. It's also awkward because starchy vegetables are ruled out from the GAPS / BED diets.

Eat more frequently? Build some muscle?

There just doesn't seem to be any way that you should be strictly limiting healthy carbs to 50 to 90 grams a day. That's below the recommended amount for steady weight loss. This seems extreme for someone with no fat to loose.
    I'll be taking all of this on board and working to up my carbs as much as possible. I think quinoa/millet might be the best bet. They're not GAPS but are approved on the BED diet. As far as muscle building goes, (i know nothing about working out despite having been a very active person), whats the formula here in terms of diet ? Increase in both carbs and protein?

Thanks for taking the time to reply

Mikee5 is offline Senior Member
    Your body can no longer respond to the insulin surge.

A simple solution; ditch low carb and increase your carbohydrate intake. Rice, potatoes, corn, fruit, beans. Your body will soon adapt.

Your health should be your priority, not a restrictive diet that claims to offer optimal and eternal health. Your nutritionist should have instructed you to immediately eat more low-glycemic carbs and lower your far intake (from a conventional stand-point).

Quote Originally Posted by Mikee5 View Post
    Your body can no longer respond to the insulin surge.

A simple solution; ditch low carb and increase your carbohydrate intake. Rice, potatoes, corn, fruit, beans. Your body will soon adapt.

Your health should be your priority, not a restrictive diet that claims to offer optimal and eternal health. Your nutritionist should have instructed you to immediately eat more low-glycemic carbs and lower your far intake (from a conventional stand-point).
    Mikee, many thanks for taking the time to reply here. When I eat carbs right now, I feel like crap. I have more energy admittedly which is good, but it feels like a caffeine overload type of energy. I can't concentrate on anything and feel like it's a mission to get from one meal to the next before the crash comes. Is this something I just need to power through? Any idea how long it should take to adapt?

Very much appreciate your input.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Hi there,

When you ditched the wheat, did you also add other changes ? As far as I know, only ditching the wheat was enough. Replace wheat with healthy proteins and voilą. The rest (lentils, rice, potatoes, fruits) are all fine.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFry View Post
    Hi there,

When you ditched the wheat, did you also add other changes ? As far as I know, only ditching the wheat was enough. Replace wheat with healthy proteins and voilą. The rest (lentils, rice, potatoes, fruits) are all fine.
    When I binned the wheat, I moved onto the GAPs diet to try and get in some gut healing. That basically ended up in a drastic reduction in my overall carb intake, which it looks like I need to re-establish.

What would you class as a healthy protein? Also, is millet a good source of carbs? I was going to make a millet porridge to start my day off and start to up my carb intake again.

Thanks all

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchy View Post
    What would you class as a healthy protein? Also, is millet a good source of carbs?
    oh, by healthy proteins, I was thinking about animal (meat, offal, gelatin, collagen). About millet, I don't know. I do eat millet in the form of couscous but quite rarely (once every 3-4 months maybe). If you dig it a bit, millet is claimed to have shown some negative influence on thyroid function (and is possibly goitrogenic). I don't know what to think but there are many more sources of carbs that are less problematic (if problem there is).

I cannot recommend a "healthy" breakfast, I only have black coffee myself in the morning.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFry View Post
    oh, by healthy proteins, I was thinking about animal (meat, offal, gelatin, collagen). About millet, I don't know. I do eat millet in the form of couscous but quite rarely (once every 3-4 months maybe). If you dig it a bit, millet is claimed to have shown some negative influence on thyroid function (and is possibly goitrogenic). I don't know what to think but there are many more sources of carbs that are less problematic (if problem there is).

I cannot recommend a "healthy" breakfast, I only have black coffee myself in the morning.
    That all makes sense. I'll be cycling the millet with other grains, possibly some buckwheat and amaranth.

My current carb level is around 80grams (my nutritionist said to shoot for this to 'balance blood sugar'), given the protein recommendation she also gave I'd have to be getting all my extra calories (about 1000 worth) from fat. Assuming I wanted to get back onto the carb wagon, what should I be looking to increase my carb intake up to?

If I experience those reactive hypo symptoms, is the best thing just to wait it out? They make me dead dizzy and sometimes sweaty, I also get an urge to eat anything and i'm not sure if I should be responding to that urge!

Thanks again everyone