Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life With Graves Disease page

diane69 is offline Junior Member

Life With Graves Disease

Shop Now
    Well this is my first time that I have ever written a journal of my daily eating/living.
    Today marks day three of my paleo journey. Have tried everything out there, weight watchers, soup diet, isagenix and finally HCG. Of which I had great success but it really takes it toll on a person after a few rounds. Lost 70lbs on HCG 2 years ago, did really well up until about 6 months ago when I started to get Graves Disease without being hyper thyroid. I could not get enough food! In the past month my thyroid finally decided to do its thing and I was hyper thyroid! Drawback is that I had severe anxiety attacks and my doc. Over medicated me to the point that my thyroid bottomed out going hypo :-( off meds for three weeks waiting for it to come back up, but truthfully I hope it stays just the way it is as I feel the best I have felt now than I have in months. I can handle the swollen eyes and joints. Better than feeling like nothing matters anymore which is the way I felt.

Today marks three days into eating primal, down 7lbs and the best part I have ankles again. The inflammation seems to be receding! Fluke or what? Time will tell. I'm in this as a lifestyle change to eat clean and try to get back my health.

Made for the very first time homemade mayonnaise and I love it! Took all of 5 minutes to make, no more store bought crap! Hardest part of this is giving up salt. I am a person that would salt food before even tasting it. Big adjustment for me but I can and will do it!

Today's menu looks like this
    BF: 2 hard boiled eggs, mixed baby greens with a few cherry tomatoes and avocado dressing
    LUNCH: chicken salad made with homemade mayo, dill, parsley, green onion,a few red seedless grapes and one carrot cut into stick on the side
    SNACK: apple and almond butter or strawberries & cantaloupe
    DINNER: will be shrimp scampi on a bed of zucchini noodles

Day 4, back to work today. Was a bit worried that the delishious smells coming from the in store bakery would weaken my resolve but I am pleased to say that today I was strong and didn't even begin to be tempted! Joints are still pretty good even after being on my feet all day.

Today's food choices looked pretty good
    BF- 2 eggs fried 1 homemade sausage patty 1 avocado (5am)
    Snack- 3 strawberries and a slice of cantaloupe (10 am)
    Lunch- chicken salad,with carrot stick on the side(12:30)
    afternoon snack- 10 almonds (3:30)
    Dinner- shrimp scampi and zucchini noodles(5:30)
    No snacks after dinner

Seems like a whole pile of food and know the snakes will eventually have to go. Taking it one day at a time.

vh67 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diane69 View Post

Seems like a whole pile of food and know the snakes will eventually have to go. Taking it one day at a time.
    Snakes are great source of protein!

Sounds like things are going great.

I love making my own mayo. I was surprised at how easy it was and tasty. I love playing with different acid sources or adding herbs and spices to it.

Are you dropping salt because of your Graves or something else. Primal is good with salt and it may help prevent low carb side effects.

Yes dropping salt as much as I can because of the Graves. Though I find myself using a pinch here or there in my cooking, just not adding it onto my plate. Using only hymalain sea salt.

Stressful day at work today but got through it without turning to food to make it better. And to top it off I have a dog in for boarding and she is picking fights with her litter ate sister here. I never have had a dog fight within my pack, no blood was shed but it could gave turned ugly really fast. It's gonna be a long week with her here as she is like a spoiled only child without any manners. Will work on that this week though and hopefully her owners will see what a bit of training can do for a dog.

Now for my food intake for the day

BF-1 hard boiled egg 2 small sausage patties handful of cherry tomatoes, coffee and heavy cream
    Snack 15 almonds, apple
    Lunch 2 hard boiled eggs 2 small sausage patties
    Afternoon snack- handful of pumpkin seeds
    Dinner- turkey spaghetti sauce made with all fresh ingredients using spaghetti squash as my noodles.
    Will have a few strawberries for dessert.

Joint swelling seems to be pretty good today, though my hand that I had surgery on last Sept. Seems quite thick today but that's just about normal for me these days. As long as my ankles don't swell and give me elephant legs I'll be quite happy. Thinking this new eating lifestyle is helping me on that front.
    Last edited by diane69; 03-27-2014 at 05:10 PM.

Better day at work today! Yeah!! No drama and very peaceful.
    Food wise it's been a good day too. Not even looking for that afternoon snack :-) love that I feel satisfied still from lunch mid afternoon as that used to be my binge time. My energy would normaly be sapped by now. Put in a full day at work, my joints look normal and feel normal! I am so happy happy happy! Now that the pain from my joints and the swelling is gone it's easier to be in a good mood most of the time. Yep my eyes are still swollen mostly in the mornings but I can live with that as it's just part and parcel of the Graves Disease.

Food choices for the day have been
    BF- organic grapefruit
    Snack apple and handful of almonds
    Lunch left overs from last nights spaghetti squash " noodles" and turkey tomatoe meat sauce about 1/2 of last nights portion.
    Dinner will be steak on the BBQ, asparagus, tomatoe and 1/2 an avocado. Don't think I'll any more fruit today gotta be more careful with those as I know my body hangs onto that sugar and just craves it more and more.
    Drank 1 coffee with heavy cream this morning, 3 cups peppermint tea and a almond milk late' this afternoon. Thinking I may give up heavy cream and start drinking my coffee this way in the mornings, my tummy seems to like it better than the heavy cream it seems.

vh67 is offline Senior Member
    Diane, I am glad you are feeling better and no swollen joints! It is easier to be happy when you feel good. I hope the pups are getting along and behaving.

Thanks! Yea the pups are somewhat better but can't let my guard down. I don't tolerate nastiness in my pack :-)

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I don't know too much about Graves', but most metabolic issues are really temporary things perpetuated by poor/misinformed lifestyle choices. So glad to hear you're doing better. I hope you are able to quell the ailment entirely!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Thanks Knifegill. Graves is an auto immune related disease usually happens when a persons thyroid is hyper. Mine was not to begin with. Long story short it was hyper till the dr. over medicated me and I went hypo thyroid :-( off the meds now except the beta blocker to keep the anxiety attacks at bay.

So today's meals looked like this

BF grapefruit
    Lunch Greek salad made the most amazing dressing found on Pinterest gonna be a staple in my refrigerator
    Snack apple
    Dinner 2 chicken thighs, another salad with lots of veggies and a sprinkle of feta. And for dessert 3 slices of cantaloupe.

Feeling great, will weigh in tomorrow more morning for an official first week of PB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast