Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *~ CriQue's Primal Cove ~* page

CriQue312 is offline Junior Member

Wink *~ CriQue's Primal Cove ~*

Primal Fuel
    Hi, I'm CriQue (sounds like kriki).

I'm a 30 year old single mom who just learned about the Primal Blueprint.
    I lived primally out of common sense in my early twenties.
    (i.e. everything that went in my mouth was in a form that was as close as it could possibly have come from nature... no unpronounceable ingredients needed, thank you very much.)

I got married before I was ready, then divorced.
    I dated and sorta forgot the lifestyle that got me in good shape in the first place.
    Then I started eating things to make other people happy and became very unhappy myself.
    I met a guy, we planned a family, got pregnant, then engaged... a little backward I know.
    Then half-way through the pregnancy he changed his mind.
    I became a victim of domestic violence at twenty weeks pregnant.
    I dealt with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder for the last half of my pregnancy and have been working with a counselor to heal for quite some time.
    Eating became a comfort for me, a hiding place... actually I turned my body into a hiding place, because fat doesn't feel. Now I have this amazingly cushy gelatinous pillow all around my body.
    I'm tired of it. I desperately want to get back to a lifestyle that doesn't cause additional pain through inflammation, fat storing, and the potential for health diseases that I'm susceptible to right now.

Getting totally honest with the Primal Community...
    As of today, June 27th, 2010: I'm 5'5" 240.5 lbs with 40% body fat.

This HAS to end here.

I'm so glad that I found a community of people who share the same beliefs about eating and healing through healthy foods that I once held before I lost myself.

I love proteins, I love vegetables, I love cheese, I love nuts, and I kinda like fruit too.
    I don't have to have all of the other stuff and never liked the way it made me feel.

I looked through my pantry and refrigerator today and was amazed at all of the high carb foods and drinks I have available. Orange Juice, Hot Cocoa, Oatmeal (flavored and unflavored), Potatoes, Lentils, Rice, Fruit bars, Powdered Potatoes, Flavored Yogurt, Flavored Applesauce, Popcorn, Canned Fruits in light syrup, Pastas, Frozen Ravioli.... Where are the vegetables? I was a little relieved that at least I had chicken breasts in the freezer and some tuna steaks.

Yesterday, I ate Oreos, Lime flavored Tostitos, Pizza with Riccotta & Ham, Diet Coke... I ate so terribly. By mid-day my back, neck and head were aching unbearably. I started looking into Atkins and was trying to put together a meal plan, but I was worried about how restrictive the carb levels are.

My daughter is about 14 months old and I nurse her at nap and bed times mostly, sometimes more if she needs the pain relief properties during teething or when she has to get shots. I didn't want to go into straight out ketosis, but had no idea what levels were maybe close to ketosis but safer to help burn fat while nursing.

I found this website and the carb curve... I literally spent hours on this site researching the articles. I even sat and read a pretty lengthy article to my mother because I was so excited by the way Mark Sisson writes and I had to show her the very impressive 55 year old's physique. Mom's two years younger than Mark and was floored. I want to be that healthy when I'm his age. Back to the writing, the information he provides is so comprehensible. Through what I read, I learned that I'm basically killing myself with carbs. I am causing inflammation in my joints, making myself exhausted, keeping myself from having energy to get active. I'm keeping my body in a very risky position.

I know how I got here. Now I know how to get out of this place.
    I don't need to be knowingly or unknowingly self-destructive anymore.
    Now I can tear down the unfeeling layers of fat and rebuild myself from the ground up.
    I plan to stick in the 50-100 gram carb range and reach my goals, to be between 120-130lbs healthy.

I can't wait to be a better example for my daughter, my mother, my friends...
    I can't wait to help myself and become an example to others.

*sighs* What a great place to be in.

Wish me luck and please please share your success stories with me if you can.
    Your success is a big motivator in mine!

Thanks for taking the time to read about my adventure in this lifestyle.

CriQue
    CriQue ~ Groking it like it's hot since June 26, 2010
    May 26, 2010 241lbs, // Aug 12, 2011 178lbs // Goal 150ish

"Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow."
    - Melody Beattie

SheGlowsPale is offline Senior Member
    Welcome

You've been through a lot it seems..and I'm glad you found this place Hopefully it will help!

A success story? I'm still in the making but I just wanted to tell you you can do it..I started low-graining at over 220lbs as well (started off more south beach then PB but whatever)..and I'm now under 155lbs. Just look at it as a journey, the destination will come. Also, check out the before and afters in the success story area..there are some amazing transformations to motivate you as well

GOOD LUCK!
    The pain of discipline or the pain of regret? You choose.

Oh look - I made a Journal.

SheGlowsPale... Thank you so much for that info. Your success is really encouraging. I'm so excited to say that while I'm only 4 days in, and my body is feeling a transition for sure, I've already lost 5 pounds!! I was 240.5 now 235.5. That's a huge victory. My weight had been only increasing or plateauing since January of this year. *sighs of relief*

I cleaned out my cabinets this past week and went shopping. I bought a lot of great things, then when I got home I realized how sucked into the modern way of eating. I didn't know what to do. I had to look online for info on how long certain foods would last and for ideas about how to prepare things. Last night after Sophie went to bed I made an amazing Chinese like dish including 6oz steak strips, 1/2 an onion, 1 small head organic broccoli, 1 med green peppers, and had them all placed over a bed of cauliflower. I used vegetable oil to saute, then added some water, 2 tbsp heavy cream, and olive juice to flavor. It was amazing... Oh, I added a packet of ground flax seeds for the omega's. When I looked up the sum of all of the ingredients the carbs were 17grams and protein was 64 grams.

It's exciting to know I can eat exciting dishes and lose the weight... I still have to handle the transition though. My mind still isn't in a place where it can improvise easily. Soon! Can't wait.

"Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow."
    - Melody Beattie

"how I was sucked into the modern way of eating" oops

- Melody Beattie

amazonmagic is offline Senior Member
    Fantastic opening entry! Such motivation and postitive energy you have, you will succeed!

Thanks AM... The first week had its ups and downs. I'm happy I'm not expected to handle this perfectly 100% of the time. I even cooked for myself and packed food to take with me to my family's camping weekend a few hours away from home. Then when I got home I sabotaged myself a bit and had fudge. I have no idea why I did it, but the way that sweet gooey stuff made me feel physically after a week of eating au naturale was pretty disappointing. Glad I was successful for 9 out of 10 days... back to the yummy real stuff and I don't mean Snapple.

So I'm excited to say I've been doing very well at consistently incorporating healthy alternatives to my diet and Sophie's. I MADE MY FIRST MEATZA Tonight!! So excited. I need to try different toppings because tonight I used green peppers, onions, and mushrooms with fresh mozzarella. When I tasted it all together it was fantastic, but tasted like meatloaf. Lol. Not bad, but maybe a different sauce for my tastes. Feeling so much better, health-wise especially after fish. Yum!

- Melody Beattie

cerebelumsdayoff is offline Senior Member
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, and CriQue I would say that you have just taken several steps in the right direction!

The journey is a lot easier than it may seem actually (as demonstrated by the delicious meatza you just made!). Before you know it, all the old foods of the CW past will not only be unappealing, but downright dirty I may just have to make one tomorrow!

Report back on how you feel, I know we will all be looking forward to reading about your adventures.
    --
    Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

AutumnP is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to the forum, CriQue, and congratulations on taking these healthy steps. What a good example you're setting for Sophie, too!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    YAY! Happy to say I'm still with it. I'm really amazed at how uncomplicated this lifestyle really is on a daily basis. I do live with family and am faced with challenges, I won't deny that. I do allow myself to have a slice of pizza every two weeks and I enjoy a square or three of dark chocolate whenever the mood strikes me. I'm having trouble letting go fully of diet sodas. I know it will come eventually. I feel very happy with the changes I've made so far and am excited to say since joining and starting my saga of this PB lifestyle on June 26th, I've lost 15 lbs. (225.5 today).

Since starting this journey the foods I eat on a daily basis have become way more fun. I have shrimp, turkey, ground turkey, and ground bison in my freezer. I have non-nitrate bacon, prosciutto, and oodles of different nut varieties in my fridge. I have plenty of dairy as accents and am surprised how much I enjoy baby spinach leaves with shredded cheddar and roasted almond oil(what an amazing flavor).

I finished the Primal Blueprint over a long weekend and feel like reading it again because I have the cliff's notes (or CriQ's notes if you'll let me) in my head, but really want to be able to share the rationales with others if asked. *sighs* I do still live with a toddler, so I may need to wait until my next free weekend, but I'm just happy to have my life enriched in the ways it has been. I'm pretty sure Sophie would agree. She seems to really enjoy the dried apricots, organic beef hotdogs, meatza varieties(made three different varieties to date), and especially pistachios. I love listening to her try to say apricot, pistachio, or prune when she wants more. Wish I could record the sound for you to hear. Maybe a youtube video upload is in order, we'll see if I can find the time.

Thanks for following and sharing this journey with me.

CriQue

- Melody Beattie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast