Thread: Salt & Water Retention? page

Ariel C. McGlothin is offline Senior Member

Salt & Water Retention?

Primal Fuel
    So I'm curious...

Consuming a lot of salt tends to make you retain a lot of water and look puffy. Not good. No salt at all will somewhat rapidly give you hyponatremia and kill you. Probably not good either.

How much water do we actually want out bodies to retain? I'm not talking about if you've got a modeling shoot tomorrow or whatever, but on a day to day basis, what's healthy? It seems that some water retention is good, but is there any good rule of thumb for how much is good?

Any thoughts or experience out there?
    ~Ariel

http://arielcsblog.blogspot.com/

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." - Thomas Paine

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Dr. Brownstein (yes, the iodine doc, no I'm not advocating high dose iodine supplementing for everyone here), has a book called Salt Your Way to Health, in which he advocates people consume about a teaspoon of real, Celtic and/or pink Himalayan salts on a daily basis. That's about six grams of salt!

And he says to do this in ADDITION to the salt you already put on your food. So in other words, just take a teaspoon to the jar, scoop the salt onto it, place in mouth, swallow. Now I will admit, that's a LOT of salt. He recommends this for the trace minerals in these high quality salts and he says this is vital to correct many nutritional deficiencies that modern humans suffer from. His book mentions very little about fluids and bloating, but, I suspect if he'd noticed people having problems with this, he would have at least mentioned it somewhere in the text. In fact, in his brief mention of fluids, he says many people are chronically dehydrated because of LOW salt diets and constant urination as a result, so this practice should theoretically correct the dehydration to some degree.

Also, the lower carb you are, the more you tend to lose electrolytes in your urine (sodium, magnesium, potassium) so you should theoretically be able to consume more electrolytes safely without this water retention and "bloating" effect. In fact, I say the lower your carb levels, the higher your intake of these electrolytes might well NEED to be.

So my final word? Get your electrolytes, and don't worry about it. If you find yourself feeling uncomfortably bloated on a regular basis, maybe you can scale back a little bit, but that's an if/when scenario.
    Last edited by Drumroll; 03-24-2014 at 06:40 PM.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    So my final word? Get your electrolytes, and don't worry about it. If you find yourself feeling uncomfortably bloated on a regular basis, maybe you can scale back a little bit, but that's an if/when scenario.
    I never have worried about it and have just used good (mostly Himalayan or Real) salt to taste on my food and as I cook almost everything from scratch was never worried about it being too much.

But I notice when I'm fasting, I drop some (6-8 pound in 48ish hours) weight pretty fast that I assume is almost entirely water weight. I'm still drinking lots of water, so I'm guessing that it's the lack of salt, or electrolytes in general causing this. And this weight, at least appears to be, mostly from my waistline.

Weight, or at least fat, and I'm not sure if these are related in this case, on your waist is supposed to not be healthy. So then I started to wonder if water retention there is the same as or connected to the "bad" fat that builds up in that area. So should one try to avoid this water retention there or is it just part of being normally and healthily hydrated?
    ~Ariel

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." - Thomas Paine

miata is offline Senior Member
    You also lose water when you deplete your glycogen stores, and it comes back when you a carb reload.

I second the need to increase sodium, potassium and magnesium when doing low carb.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    My advice would be to eat to your hunger. If you're craving salty foods, you likely need some salt.

glorth2 is offline Senior Member
    Most people don't need to avoid salt once they're off processed foods. You shouldn't have issues "retaining water".

I don't do low carb, (I'm pretty fit and not trying to loose weight) other than when I'm fasting and am low everything other than H20.

And with a pretty varied diet, I'm not too worried about any particular deficiencies. (I have been supplementing magnesium due to not being sure I get enough of that.)

I do eat to my hunger, and don't usually crave salt, just like my food salted to bring out the flavors.

I've never been on processed food, thanks to my parents, just have cut out most grains recently.

But I can't imagine that loosing up to 8 pounds in two days isn't mostly water weight. And obviously if our bodies are mostly made of water we have to retain some, so I'm just curious how much we need to retain?
    ~Ariel

Eureka5280 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel C. McGlothin View Post

But I can't imagine that loosing up to 8 pounds in two days isn't mostly water weight. And obviously if our bodies are mostly made of water we have to retain some, so I'm just curious how much we need to retain?
    It is water weight, but as miata just mentioned, some of it is water that was stored in glycogen, rather than water being retained due to sodium. Glycogen combines glucose and water, so when you burn it a bunch of water is released. Fasting burns stored glycogen because your brain needs a certain amount of glucose each day to survive.

I would go by thirst and energy levels. Your body will retain how much it needs based on glucose and electrolyte levels, unless something is broken.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Eureka5280: M / 38 / 235lbs / Goal: 180lbs

Diet: Currently experimenting with higher carb (Peat-esque) primal with emphasis on beef, dairy, seafood, sugar and a bit of starch on lifting days.

Activities: Started Stronglifts 5x5 on 3/1/14. Adding sprints and hikes soon.
    End of Year Working Set Goals: Squats-250, Bench-200, DL-315

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    I always feel bloated and uncomfortable until I dial down my salt intake to around 1g/day for several days. Is there a reason that I should try to consume more?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    I always feel bloated and uncomfortable until I dial down my salt intake to around 1g/day for several days. Is there a reason that I should try to consume more?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Here's a review of the book I mentioned earlier in this thread:

‘Salt Your Way to Health’: The remarkable healing ability of unrefined salt - Samaritan Ministries International

If your interest is piqued, it's very easy to snag a copy of it and get some more info on the subject.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."