Thread: Mid afternoon energy level crash? page

sarahwinona is offline Member

Mid afternoon energy level crash?

Shop Now
    Wasn't sure where to put this post, here or in nutrition... Kind of a newbie and not super scientific with my diet breakdown. Been eating primal for awhile(several months)and for the most part feel great. But, in the last few weeks I've been experiencing a serious energy level crash, come mid day. Not feeling hungry when it happens, so am just wondering if my carb intake might not be enough. I strength train 2-4times a week and condition the other days. For reference, almost 40 year old woman, don't know if there should be any other key points.

fillyone is offline Senior Member
    Following
    Barb - Portland, Oregon

"Everything is as it should be given what has gone before. This is not an excuse but it is a reason"
    ~ Dr G & Barb ~

miata is online now Senior Member
    What are eating in the morning? I found that avoiding carbs altogether in the morning helped. Recently, I've even delayed my usual 4 egg breakfast until noon and that additionally helps with my energy levels all day long -- but especially in the morning and especially with bike rides.

I do carb cycling in addition to 50-100 gm/day of carbs post workout or for dinner.

I also avoid carbs altogether for lunch unless I had done a long morning bike ride.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Last edited by miata; 03-24-2014 at 02:31 PM. Reason: lunch comment

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Eat less for lunch maybe…
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

I pretty much fast in the morning with the exception of coffee til about noon or so. Then my meal usually consists of a bed of greens , 2 eggs, usually meat do some kind, half an avocado...

Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    What are eating in the morning? I found that avoiding carbs altogether in the morning helped. Recently, I've even delayed my usual 4 egg breakfast until noon and that additionally helps with my energy levels all day long -- but especially in the morning and especially with bike rides.

I do carb cycling in addition to 50-100 gm/day of carbs post workout or for dinner.

I also avoid carbs altogether for lunch unless I had done a long morning bike ride.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    What exactly does it mean to carb cycle? Just including them and more every so often, especially after hard output?

edennperez1 is offline Senior Member
    My guess (and it's only that) is that you need more carbs (fruit, potatoes, rice if you do that) and possibly more calories for all the working out you described. Can you give an idea of how many carbs you have a day? Do you target this? And if you're low on energy, have some fruit and see what that does. Are you sleeping fully and enough at night?

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahwinona View Post
    I pretty much fast in the morning with the exception of coffee til about noon or so. Then my meal usually consists of a bed of greens , 2 eggs, usually meat do some kind, half an avocado...
    Then you are probably hungry. This is not much food, especially after not eating since yesterday.