Thread: Looking back...and going forward page

bchanel is offline Member

Looking back...and going forward

Primal Fuel
    Wow. I haven't been active on here in some time now and it's crazy to look back at my past posts. Since I've last posted, I have married the love of my life, made a last minute move to a different city (literally in two days), went on a honeymoon, and I will be graduating with my master's in seven weeks (!!!).

Despite losing weight for my wedding, like a lot of other married women, I unfortunately put it back on. I'm not trying to use excuses, but I spend nearly 20 hours a weeks commuting to my university, I am working on my thesis, and I am also a teaching assistant and freelance writer, which means I spend a lot of time sitting on my butt working on my computer.

This past year has been stressful, and I've pretty much allowed myself to eat anything I wanted, including scones from a coffee shop in the student union and lots of carbs on the weekends with my carb lovin' hubby.

Recently, I found out I may have ankylosing spondylitis (spelling may be off) and it's scared me straight. It's an autoimmune condition and if I do have it, I'd rather do my best to manage it with diet and activity than shots and medicine.

I was also told I have a gluten sensitivity, something I've known for awhile now. It's funny...I've always thrived on a low starch diet, but have received a ton of backlash for it. My husband has been nothing but supportive (or maybe he just loves how flat my tummy is when I abstain from wheat), but everyone else damn! It's hilarious to me to watch people eat rolls and cupcakes and wash it down with sweet tea, all while telling me that what I'm doing is bad for my body.

Last summer, I attended a baby shower with my mother-in-law. I didn't partake in the sugary punch because I knew it would make me feel ill, and I didn't eat a cupcake, mainly because they didn't look that great and I didn't want to "waste" an indulgence.

After the shower, she asked me if I was hungry and I said a little, but since it was 8 p.m., I told her I wasn't going to eat. You would have thought I just told her that I killed someone. She went off on me and told me that I should just eat the bread and a cupcake wasn't going to kill me. A few months later, she was admitted to a heart hospital and was told that she had an autoimmune condition. I became excited and told her everything I had read about diet and autoimmune diseases. She rolled her eyes at me and told me how excited she was to be getting regular shots for the pain.

Some people.

ANYWAYS, I want to feel healthy again and this love chub has got to go. I also want to be an example for my husband and family. So, I've looked at my past logs and know where I have messed up. I know how I feel better and look better when I eat a primal diet.

So, here goes! 30 days of strict primal eating to lead into a primal life. I'm a firm believer that we are what we eat, and I'm sick of feeling sugary, puffy and doughy.
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. -Mae West

fillyone is offline Senior Member

Welcome back and congratulations!
    Barb - Portland, Oregon

"Everything is as it should be given what has gone before. This is not an excuse but it is a reason"
    ~ Dr G & Barb ~

Thank you!!

So far I'm doing OK. I'm working on my thesis, and my advisor told me yesterday that she wants it completed by Friday. Needless to say, I'm a little stressed and have been staring at my computer screen all day. I also worked on it all weekend...my eating patterns are a little off since I'm focused on getting that thing completed.

Sunday
    Made a shake of almond milk, power greens (kale, spinach, etc), berries and coconut oil, coffee

For snacks, I had a piece of cheese, olives, berries and a piece of 85% chocolate topped with almond butter

Dinner was steak, mushrooms and asparagus

Monday
    I was on campus all day and didn't pack any food. I ride a bus to campus, which is an hour away from where I live, so I couldn't go anywhere. I ran to the student union during break and grabbed a salad. Unfortunately, the dressing had sugar and gluten, so I just ate the spinach, strawberries, feta and almonds of the salad. I also had a cup of coffee.

For dinner, I had chicken breast, a sweet potato roasted in coconut oil and asparagus.

Tuesday
    I grazed a lot today as I worked on my thesis. My grazing included a banana, piece of cheese, berries, 2 hardboiled eggs, a pack of tuna and 2 squares of 85% dark chocolate.

For dinner, I grabbed takeout from a new place that I now love! I had grilled chicken kabobs with peppers, roasted veggies and a Greek salad with feta. I will definitely be ordering from there again.

My eating hasn't been optimal, but usually when I'm stressed about school, I allow myself to eat whatever I want, including fast food and all kinds of sugary junk. As long as I make whole food choices this week, I'm not going to be too hard on myself.

I'm struggling to kick dairy, mainly cheese and heavy cream, but I guess it could be worse. I do buy organic and grassfed cream. I try to limit my dairy to once or twice a day.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app