Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal New York City? page

Seraffa Guest

Primal New York City?

Shop Now
    Hi - introverted yet sociable 45-year-old stressed out over life in the City in the East Village.....

Since moving here from Pennsylvania my body went into disaster mode. Developed hyperthyroidism....15 pound weight gain, aversion to my environment (even for exercise), resent the lack of privacy...now I've lost muscle after no exercise for 4 years except climbing those $*&^(*&!! subway stairs with heavy bags and briefcases! The fat HANGS from my limbs in a terrible way now, and I have a saggy double chin.....

I don't think I've ever looked so bad, honestly. This is very depressing. People don't even think I'm huge (that still offends me - how long can you pull off "pleasingly plump" and still love yourself?) but I know I'm REALLY looking my worst now...and have 60 pounds to lose to get to an optimum BMI ratio. I need to give myself 9 to 12 months for optimum results so that the "hidden me" can surface, too. So I bought 2 smaller books as well - one a journal for daily diet, and the other a journal for daily exercise.

I got Mark's book because I bombed out trying to use Atkins and Protein Power before. I don't know why. But looking back, probably I was just sick of Doctors making more and more money from each new protien diets, and me not being able to make an individual appointment with them or even e-mail them for an office visit. Somehow they are never in the city I am in!

The only other time in my life I was able to look gorgeous was back in the 1980's when I exercised and ate along with Richard Simmons. (HE wasn't a Doctor; there's a positive, more humble connection, here.) Also, the last thing I need is another DOCTOR telling me that they advocate "yoga and meditation" as the finishing touch along with all the "healthy" exercise in order to promote "mind/body integration" ......PLEEEAAAAASE.....

I live in New York - and if I had been drawn to the (mostly young) people around me who are skinny and meditate and do yoga ( and seem to have normal metabolisms) and bury their heads in Kindles and iPhone music on the subway, then go out partying and binge-drinking at night (because they truly don't have an evolved spiritual life anyway!) - I wouldn't even need this forum. GROSS! I'm tired of all the cliched ways people try to make money, and then try to look enlightened on top of it, after "they've published their new book".

I think Primal makes more sense so far because it addresses the stress connection in a "Grok" -style way, and keeps fitness in a mode that anyone who is 40+ can follow without going into a worrysome panic about results! I think I noticed more leeway about carbs coming from veggies, too. I just know there are days when our bodies are not going to want to stay at 30 net carbs (due to whatever circumstances, like illness or injury or bad weather or hormones), but that they certainly don't need to go OVER 100 carbs, either (for me, that would bring on food binging!)

I'm very concerned about accelerated fat intake linked to cortisol stress, and my body not releasing fat , ( I think this is what has happnened when I first got off the carb bandwagon - I turned more to fats ) but I hope I to conquer this fear and make a fresh start and try to take thigs easier realising my genetic blueprint is "Grok's". My joints already hurt from both my weight and the medication I
    have to take each day, so I want to be reasonable and be "me" while I lose weight.

I will be very proud of myself knowing later, that I will have successfully averted the possibility of diabetes cropping up as time goes by, too.

I rant and rave a lot sometimes, because I'm a natural hothead - so I thank you for listening and welcoming me into this group.

SheGlowsPale is offline Senior Member
    Oh yay, another fellow new yorker! Welcome and good luck!
    The pain of discipline or the pain of regret? You choose.

Oh look - I made a Journal.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    New York is a great place to be primal. Welcome.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthFriendly View Post
    New York is a great place to be primal. Welcome.
    How so?

And welcome! I myself live only a few blocks outside of the City, so you can count me in.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

I've got two NYC Primal challenges for you, are you ready?

First get yourself a T-Shirt that says "Fuck Yoga". Trust me you'll feel better with out those drippy hippies.

Secondly, punch the next person you uses the term "Spiritual" around you in anything other than a derogatory way, and then eat a dozen eggs, and a pound of bacon. I promise you won't explode.

SheGlowsPale is offline Senior Member
    I've got two NYC Primal challenges for you, are you ready?

First get yourself a T-Shirt that says "Fuck Yoga". Trust me you'll feel better with out those drippy hippies.

Secondly, punch the next person you uses the term "Spiritual" around you in anything other than a derogatory way, and then eat a dozen eggs, and a pound of bacon. I promise you won't explode.
    Can we punch people who walk around everywhere with yoga mats as well? I think we should make this a primal fieldtrip.
    The pain of discipline or the pain of regret? You choose.

Oh look - I made a Journal.

Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    How so?

And welcome! I myself live only a few blocks outside of the City, so you can count me in.
    The city allows you access to a mindboggling amount of resources. Want grass fed organ meats? You can find them. Want any kind of coconut product under the sun? You can find it. Want access to just about any type of work out/equiptment/training? It's probably not that hard to find.

Peace, and quite is just about the only thing that's in limited supply, and you can even get some of that too if you know where to look.

And unlike the rust belt where I grew up we've got alot of nice parks.

Quote Originally Posted by SheGlowsPale View Post
    Can we punch people who walk around everywhere with yoga mats as well? I think we should make this a primal fieldtrip.
    Union Square is where it's at!

Quote Originally Posted by SheGlowsPale View Post
    I like the way you think.

The city allows you access to a mindboggling amount of resources. Want grass fed organ meats? You can find them. Want any kind of coconut product under the sun? You can find it. Want access to just about any type of work out/equiptment/training? It's probably not that hard to find.

Peace, and quite is just about the only thing that's in limited supply, and you can even get some of that too if you know where to look.

And unlike the rust belt where I grew up we've got alot of nice parks.
    Fair enough. Also Fairway Markets are a great line of supermarkets around here. Got a grass-fed source at Union Square, and Olympic weightlifting in Queens... haha now I need some mountains and a river to swim in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast