Thread: Primal Journal (FSS*) page

FSS
    FSS is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal (FSS*)

Shop Now
    OK, I'm in.

What I'm eating:
    2 cups black coffee
    B - grass-fed hamburger patty, raw veggies (carrots, celery, cucumber), green olives
    L - "pizza soup" (spicy Italian sausage, beef broth, fire roasted tomatoes, spinach, Penzey's pizza seasoning), 1 hard-boiled egg
    D - grilled boneless skinless chicken breast, salad (romaine, cucumber, carrot, black olives, artichoke hearts, bit of hardboiled egg, bit of asiago cheese, olive oil, vinegar)

What I'm doing:
    Stairs i/s/o elevator @ work, today's total, 5 flights stairs
    (Waiting for this horribly cold weather to break so I can start walking to/from my bus stop to my office again, but, cold again today, had to take the train.)
    Baby steps.

What I'm reading:
    "It Starts With Food", by Dallas & Melissa Hartwig

What I'm thinking:
    This is the beginning of me being accountable. I have never done anything like this before - posting a journal on a website for the public to see - but it's time to get real. I'm scared. I'm nervous. But I have to start somewhere, right?

I will fill in all the background info in future posts. I've been "sorta primal" for about a year now. One thing I have definitely learned is, you cannot take your favorite parts of the primal blueprint (lots of meat, lots of good fats!) and add your favorite parts of a SAD (sugar, grains, unlimited alcohol) and expect to have any success whatsoever! (Unless your idea of success is gaining a lot of weight in all the wrong places. Ask me how I know that...)

*Future Success Story!

FSS
    A bit of back story -
    Female, 55 yrs. old, legal administrative assistant, married, no kids (but just blessed with a new grandson 2 weeks ago, thanks to my DH's daughter)
    I'm 5'10". My lowest weight as an adult was probably 135. Highest weight, 211. Currently 204. And I've bounced around to every weight on the scale in between, for the last 30 years.
    My biggest goal is to become a Mark's Daily Apple success story. I also have goals of feeling better, being healthy enough to enjoy my retirement when it finally comes, and to be one of the best paddlers on my Dragon Boat team this coming summer! My firm sponsors a Dragon Boat team every summer, and it has become a passion of mine. I especially enjoy when the new members each year are astounded to realize that I am one of the better paddlers on the team. As I like to tell them, just because I'm old and fat doesn't mean I can't be good at this! I would like to be able to remove the "fat" part from that sentence.

What I'm eating:
    B: (late and @ restaurant today) 2 cups coffee w/cream; 3-egg omelet w/spinach, tomato, and mozzarella; 2 bites of home-fries
    D: leftover grilled chicken breast, oven-baked sweet potato fries, small salad of romaine, cucumber, black olive, olive oil & red wine vinegar
    Going out tonight to hear a friend's band play, will have tequila w/club soda and lime. Most likely, more than I should. I like tequila.

What I'm doing:
    Lots of dumb errands - getting taxes done; getting cell phone fixed because the dumb thing totally died on me yesterday,dammit; getting DH's laptop fixed; grocery shopping; etc. etc. Only exercise was the morning/evening walking of the dogs. I have a geriatric lab/shepherd mix, Elly, who is 15, and an almost-geriatric lab/chow mix, Jake, who is 9. Lately, the majority of the exercise I get is walking them. This has to change.

What I'm reading:
    Very common for me to have 2 - 3 books going at once.
    This weekend, I'm finishing my re-read of "It Starts With Food", plus I'm about halfway through "A Guide to the Good Life: the Ancient Art of Stoic Joy" by William B. Irvine. Pretty interesting. (The ultimate "suck it up" philosophy!)

What I'm thinking:
    I'm thinking that I need to stop with the excuses and get to getting better!

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome. I hope to see you in a success story soon.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

FSS

'Fessing up

Thank you for the welcome, Hedonist2. I appreciate it.

This journal entry will be a recap of my Sunday. I did not post yesterday because I didn't want to admit what I ate/drank. That's not being very accountable. So, here it is:

What I ate:
    B: 3 cups of coffee w/coconut milk. 2 eggs fried in Irish butter, 1 slice ham, & a whole bunch of home fries fried in duck fat. (My DH, who is a wonderful cook and not one teeny tiny bit Primal, at all, made potatoes fried in duck fat, and they were delicious. And I ate a lot of them. And did I mention that they were delicious??)
    L/D/s: Didn't really have lunch or dinner; just kind of snacked here and there. Heated up a leftover grass-fed ground beef patty, smothered it in A1 (I know...) and ate it with some green and black olives. Small bowl of cauliflower soup. Handful of baby carrots. 1 Reese's cup. And a bottle of cabernet.

I did spend some time in the kitchen hard-boiling eggs, making a big batch of Golden Cauliflower Soup from Well Fed 2 by Melissa Joulwan (LOVE her cookbooks - every recipe I've tried has been amazing), and cleaning and chopping raw veggies for salads and snacks for the week. I do much better sticking to my plan when I have good food and healthy snacks ready to grab.

What I did:
    Woke up to a lovely snow shower and 20 degree temp. Even the dogs didn't want to walk very far. We've had such a crappy winter that even they are sick to death of snow, and they usually love it.
    I did some pre-spring cleaning and enthusiastically vacuumed, mopped, dusted, changed people beds and dog beds, attacked cob webs in the basement, etc. for about 4 hours. Worked up a pretty good sweat and it felt like a bit of a work out, so I'll count it as one. Also got the dogs back out in the evening for a lap around the block. They were a bit more enthusiastic since the snow had stopped.

What I read:
    The Sunday paper, a couple of back issues of Sports Illustrated - funny how you miss one and all of a sudden they're piling up! - another chapter of A Guide to the Good Life, then played around on my laptop watching old episodes of Girl Code and other various silly shows. It felt nice to goof off for a couple of hours.

I guess I feel better now. I really, really did not want to post about the fried potatoes and that whole bottle of wine! Oh, and the Reese's cup. It would be easy to say, well, just don't keep junk like that in the house anymore! But my DH has no interest in changing his eating habits, so there will always be stuff like that in the house. I just have to ignore it. And I'm the one responsible for bringing in the wine. I will cut the weekday comsumption out, but I will have a drink or two on the weekends, if I want. And I realize that an entire bottle of wine is a bit more than "a drink or two". Yeah. I know.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, my housemate stubbornly eats the conventionally healthy diet. I'm glad you are back on track. Not such a terrible day anyway. Obviously, having just a few fries, a teaspoon of A1, dark chocolate and one glass of wine would have been better, but what is done is done.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

FSS

Finally, a good food day

Thanks Hedonist, and BTW, awesome blog - I enjoyed reading your section on "Selling Primal" - so, so true. I've been talking a good game, but not actually following the primal guidelines...no wonder some of my friends and family members think I'm full of crap. I pretty much have been, so far. Huh.

I had a good day yesterday. I was very happy with my food.

What I ate:
    B: beef patty and 5 very large strawberries
    L: salad of romaine, can of tuna packed in olive oil, 1 small avocado, handful of black olives.
    D: fajitas made w/flank steak, red orange and green peppers, onion, mushrooms; steamed spinach
    s: 1/4 bar of 85% dark chocolate, cashews (about 20 whole; yes I count them out because otherwise I go overboard on them)

I ordered some meat from USWellness Meats - ground beef, flank steak, bacon, brisket....a bit over my usual food budget but I'm enjoying it and will be sad when it's gone. Perhaps I should transfer some of my wine budget to my grass-fed meat budget? That would probably be a great idea.

[U]What I did:[U]
    6 flights of stairs at work. That was it. Trying to add a flight a day. Today is supposed to be the last day of bitter cold here in the frozen tundra, so I am really looking forward to walking a lot more. My office building is right on the edge of Lake Erie, so walking around this area in the winter is not something I'm willing to do. Even if the wind and cold permit, the sidewalks are too icy. I only fell once this winter, but it was a bad one, and not something I'm willing to repeat. Ugh. Come on, spring!!

OK, back to work now.

FSS

How was YOUR hump day?

I had a good day, I think. Next thing I need to start working on is my sleep. I'm not getting enough and I know it but I hate going to bed at 9:30 at night! Seems like I just get home from work and it's bedtime....I try to catch up on the weekends but that's not really effective. Something I need to work on for sure.

What I ate:
    B: 2 hardboiled eggs, 1 orange
    L: cauliflower soup, flank steak fajitas without the tortillas, baby carrots
    D: (out at our friendly neighborhood dive bar; met some family members for "Wing Wednesday") 6 Texas dry-rub chicken wings, a couple of 1800/club soda/lime cocktails

Not perfect and God only knows what kind of crappy oil that place fries their wings in, but it's a fun get-together with people I love and I'm not going to give that up. I did skip the fries, onion rings, soft pretzel stick appetizers, etc. etc., so I did the best I could in less than ideal circumstances.

What I did:
    Not a whole lot of anything physical. I'm going to do bodyweight exercises at home tonight. I need to start working on that. Dragon boat season is coming and I need all the muscle I can manage for that!

FSS

So simple, even a woman can do it*

(*Back in the dark ages, when I was young, there were actually products that advertised themselves this way! Makes me laugh every time I see this phrase...)

What I ate yesterday:
    B: ground beef patty, 6 strawberries
    L: cauliflower soup, leftover steak fajita meat & veggies, 6 black olives
    D: spinach/mushroom 3-egg omelet w/a little bit of monterey jack melted on it, 3 slices bacon. Got halfway through the omelet and couldn't finish it. Very strange behavoir for me - I usually finish everything.

Took 6 flights of stairs at work; did squats, pushups, rows, planks at home.

It's getting tedious, writing down all my food. But I still need to do it for awhile longer. Like, probably, a couple more years. It's crazy but I have actually turned down some treats this week because I didn't want to have to write it on here. I probably won't update this again until sometime Sunday, and this weekend is going to be pretty busy. I am planning some off-track eating this weekend, but I will try not to get totally derailed.

What I'm eating today:
    B: leftover spinach/mushroom omelet, 2 slices bacon, 1 navel orange
    L: the end of the cauliflower soup and the last of the steak fajita/veggie mixture
    s: (planned; will only have if I'm hungry this afternoon) 4 small squares 85% dark chocolate, 18 raw almonds

Tonight we're meeting friends at a fish fry. I will have fried perch and cole slaw. It won't be primal but it will be good and we haven't been to a Lent fish fry yet this year. I will skip the beer, though, and call that a victory. Tomorrow we're celebrating some family birthdays at a Michael Simon restaurant called B-Spot ("Burgers, Brats and Beer".) I'm planning to order a burger without the bun. This place has awesome, grass-fed burgers. I'll skip the fries and onion rings and the "adult" milkshakes, but I'm sure I'll have a cocktail or two.

If the weather permits on Sunday, I'm taking the younger of my 2 dogs to the park for a nice long hike. We haven't been able to do that since October! I'm excited and he will probably lose his mind. Good times.

FSS

New week, new resolve

I did all the off-roading I planned to do over the weekend, and then some. Fish fry Friday night with 3 drinks. Burger AND onion rings AND some hefty swigs of DH's "adult milkshake" AND 2 dirty martinis at dinner Saturday night. Food was on plan Sunday but I drank a whole bottle of wine. Again. Seems to be a Sunday thing with me. Despite all my self-sabotage, I am feeling better in general. I have more energy and the waistbands that were cutting into me are becoming merely tight. Little victories, little setbacks, such is life....

Today's food:
    B: 2 cups black coffee, 1 hardboiled egg, monkey salad (coconut flakes, banana, cashews)
    L: chili (Well Fed's chocolate chili recipe; so so good...), raw veggies
    D: NY strip on the grill, salad of baby spinach, cucumber, carrot, red and green pepper, black olives, olive oil and a sprinkle of McCormick's Salad Seasoning

I did a bodyweight workout at home Sunday morning. Took the stairs at work today - total of 7 flights. Poor Jake didn't get his walk in the park this weekend like I planned...we got a half a foot of snow on Saturday. Grrr. Poor puppy. Poor me. It's supposed to be warm tomorrow, for a change. Can't wait to get out for a walk at lunch time.

FSS

Yay - outside activities!

It was almost 60 today. I not only walked from my bus stop to work, but got in a walk at lunch today, too! It was so nice to walk outside, even though it was windy. Also did 6 flights of stairs at work. Still trying to work up to 10. What I should probably do is just do 3 flights first thing in the morning, 3 flights before lunch, then 3 flights mid-afternoon. I end up doing a few flights just to get to my different assignments - I have bosses on all 4 floors of our office building, lucky me - so I can definitely get at least 10 flights a day in, if I put my mind to it.

My food today:
    B: 1 cup chili, celery sticks
    L: big ass salad: romaine, cucumber, carrots, red & green pepper, mushroom, black & green olives, artichoke hearts, can of tuna packed in olive oil, red wine vinegar
    D: spaghetti squash with marinara, Italian sausage
    s: 4 small squares 85% dark chocolate, 12 raw almonds

I've been thinking about setting a goal weight, but I don't think I know what I want to weigh...I'll know it when I get there. I'm F-A-T fat right now, so I've got a long way to go, but I'm heading in the right direction. I've stopped running down to the little store in the lobby for snacks when I get bored at work. I'm not drinking entire bottles of wine or several mixed drinks every night after work. (I know I'm still drinking too much on the weekends, but I'm doing so much better on the week days. So that's a step in the right direction.) I'm not snacking on DH's chocolate/ice cream/cookie stash every night. And I'm moving my butt again. After pretty much hibernating all winter, I'm moving again.

So, yay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast