Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cookies in the Break Room page

jrose1982 is offline Junior Member

Cookies in the Break Room

I'm creating this thread to offer a place for people to vent about the all the junk food that is constantly available in Corporate America.

Cookies in the break room; donuts at the coffee station, pizza in the lunch meeting...
    The temptation is HORRIBLE.
    Sometimes I'm quite certain my coworkers want to kill me.

Who's trying to kill you? Let's help each other resist. Vent here.

jenna is offline Senior Member
    I'm in training for a new position at work. This morning they brought in 3 dozen donuts for about 15 people total. They sat on the table in front of me, boxes mostly full, all day long. Sucked!

LindyCG is offline Senior Member
    Yes, this drives me nuts. Right now I am starving (last day on the potato hack and I already ate all the potatoes I brought today) and some evil person just put a spread of donuts, cakes, sugar cookies, etc. out in the kitchen. Normally I can be strong but this is killing me. Luckily it's almost time to go home so I will be able to make it.

I have taken to cooking an egg dish to share when I know there's going to be a big spread for someone's birthday - that way I can join in without being so tempted by the sugary treats.

PrimalPumpkin is offline Senior Member
    <~~~~Is boss and only employee at one job and works from home for the other job. If junk food shows up I guess I have to slap myself.
    My Baby Making Body Journal Got loose skin from weight loss? I can HELP!

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Once your realize how that crap makes you feel you'll stop being tempted by it. That stuff looks like a pile of dog shit to me now.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Artemis67 is offline Senior Member
    I'm the boss, and sole employee. Though I do farm out some work to other people, they aren't on the premises. So there's no junk food in my office unless I buy it.

That said, clients occasionally give me "treats" I don't want to eat. So I accept them with thanks, and take them in on my volunteer shifts and put them on the break room tables--along with all the other wheaty, sugary junk everyone else brings in. And then I high-tail it outta the break room and go immerse myself in what work needs doing.

The office staff at one organization in particular tend to be very overweight, and I know I'm not helping them by ditching my unwanted candy, cookies, and cakes in the break room. But damn it, it's their choice to eat it. I'm not their mother.

As for avoiding it myself, there are good reasons why I don't want to eat certain things. And my strategy is to think in terms of individual ingredients, not the food as a whole. Anything made with wheat is easy to turn down because wheat really messes with me. That eliminates the temptation to eat 95% of it, right off the top. I don't have a problem with eating small amounts of sugar, occasionally, but corn syrup has a gross aftertaste, and it's in lots of candy and supermarket baked items. So are seed oils.

So temptation for me gets nipped in the bud when I pause to consider what's in those treats, or read the ingredient label. I could think of it as "I feel deprived because I can't eat the donuts," or I can think of it as "I don't want to eat wheat or seed oils, and the donuts contain both of those, along with more sugar than I know is good for me." And the more I do that, the easier it gets. The donuts start to look pretty gross, when viewed that way, and don't even seem like actual food after a while.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I buy almost as many groceries for my office as I do for my home. I keep my office stocked with real food. I have no need for the treats left out because I've usually already overeaten on real food instead.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    I'm around tables piled with free crap all the time. It doesn't bother me; I just push it away to make room to sit down and eat whatever pile of food I brought with me.

I just don't see that crap as real food, so no big deal.

Sent via lightsaber

miata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Markbt View Post
    Once your realize how that crap makes you feel you'll stop being tempted by it. That stuff looks like a pile of dog shit to me now.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    No temptation here either, but in the future I now have a very effective visual.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    We get a weekly delivery from I think family readiness group (some soldier family support thing) that is a huge box of bags of chips, candies, and soda. Nope, no homemade cookies, just crap. So it's easy 99% of the time to totally forget it's there. It's only when I don't bring my own food as haven't prepped for a fast that it's at all tempting. (Now homemade stuff and truffles? That's tempting.)

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast