Thread: Kidneys--interested in trying again page

jmsmall is offline Senior Member

Kidneys--interested in trying again

Shop Now
    The one time I tried kidney was way (I mean way) back in med school when I saw that kidney was about forty nine cents a pound. Cheap protein! I brought it home, sliced it up, soaked it in milk for a good while. Cooked it and it had a strong urine smell. I couldn't eat it. As cheap as I am, I really tried.

Did I do something wrong, get a bad kidney, what? Haven't tried it since.

Doc Jim
    10/2/12: 169 lbs, 37"waist
    Now: low 150's, 33" waist
    Blog: http://paleopathologist.com/

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    What kind of kidney? I tried pig's kidney once - never again. Like something died last week in the public lavatory. But lamb's kidney is delicious even without the soaking.

Also, you are meant to 'core' the kidney, removing the solid white mass from the centre - hm, I expect you know what that's called. I've never tried that part, but I assume the wee flavour would be concentrated there.

The first few minutes of this give you a nice, clear illustration of how to prepare lamb's kidneys:

That white part in the center is called the renal pelvis. Wonder where in Denver I'd find lamb kidneys...an adventure!

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    I love lambs' kidneys gently sauteed in butter with a dash of red wine to finish off - they should be ever so slightly pink in the middle, otherwise they have the texture of rubber.

Eureka5280 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmsmall View Post
    That white part in the center is called the renal pelvis. Wonder where in Denver I'd find lamb kidneys...an adventure!
    I'd bet Marczyk's could order them for you.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Eureka5280: M / 38 / 235lbs / Goal: 180lbs

Diet: Currently experimenting with higher carb (Peat-esque) primal with emphasis on beef, dairy, seafood, sugar and a bit of starch on lifting days.

Activities: Started Stronglifts 5x5 on 3/1/14. Adding sprints and hikes soon.
    End of Year Working Set Goals: Squats-250, Bench-200, DL-315

Eric Garza is offline Junior Member
    I scored several beef kidneys when I helped a friend slaughter four steer this past November. The animals were very well raised on lush pasture, never saw a lick of grain their entire life. I've been eating the kidneys raw, sliced thinly. I didn't remove the center part; it didn't have a bad taste to me. I don't eat huge amounts all at once though, just 2-3 ounces at a time.

Regretting having left the kidneys in the elk carcass in November. Coyotes are well fed. Ah well, next year.

Thanks all. Wonder if I just got some bad kidney 38 years ago...

Doc Jim

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Nah, you just got a kidney and didn't prepare it well. Remove the white part after boiling , or first if you have different method of eating in mind. The urine smell is very strong, but leaves with the first or second boiling. (Using fresh water each time, of course.) Smaller animals don't generate the volume of urine that cattle and pigs do, and don't require as much preparation. I don't prepare rabbit kidneys at all, just drop them in hot butter oil and fry till done. (I don't like pink insides.)