Thread: Chapped lips page

Kali28 is offline Member

Chapped lips

Shop Now
    I've been PB for almost a month now and since I started my lips are SO dry. I stay hydrated and try to maintain electrolytes but since I cut out all the crap and lost a ton of water weight my lips are suffering hard core. I don't like wearing lotion or using chap stick and stuff, I have always trusted my body to take care of my skin and have never felt the need to slather on products when my body has evolved to heal and maintain itself, I use vitamin E on scars and tattoos because it does a wonderful job at giving damaged skin an extra boost but that's about it.

Has anyone else experienced this when they switched? Any remedies? Maybe it'll take care of itself after a couple more months...

"They say you die twice- once when you stop breathing, and again, later on, when someone speaks your name for the last time."- Banksy

Marie20 is offline Member
    Yes absolutely noticed this as well... I would be very interested in knowing if anyone had any good solutions. I hate using chapstick because it just aggravates the situation when you stop using it. Though when it gets really bad I do use blistex lip medex (lather it on at night before going to bed, lips are always much better in the morning), mostly when I'm up north in the winter time. Though if that's the case I try to just use vaseline when I go outside to try to prevent the really bad cracking and bleeding.

The only thing that helps is when I'm in a warmer climate. I moved to Georgia recently and that helped tremendously... I know, not exactly easy to implement lol.

Wherever you are, in the spring and summer once you start eating more fruits and veggies and the weather warms up, it should get better.

Kali28 is offline Member
    Well I'm in hawaii so dry skin isn't a real problem. I'll slather some vitamin E on my lips before bed sometimes but if it does help it's temporary. Vaseline and baby oil DO help in colder climates though

"They say you die twice- once when you stop breathing, and again, later on, when someone speaks your name for the last time."- Banksy

Sonoran hotdog is offline Senior Member
    Huh, just noticed the chapped lips in the last few weeks, but hadn't connected it with Primal. I am eating several servings of whole fruit/day, and the weather is always dry here in AZ so those factors are not the root cause for me. I did begin supplementing RS + gelatin just before the chapped lips hit. Are you doing the unmodified potato starch and/or daily gelatin supplements? There might be value in us comparing notes to see what aspect of the primal lifestyle seems to be causing the chapped lips.

FWIW, I've never had this problem in my entire life - always had very oily skin, so never use lotion nor lip balm until this cropped up.

Kali28 is offline Member
    I'm not taking any potato starch/gelatin right now. I wasn't taking any supplements before I started but now I'm taking magnesium, calcium and zinc, biotin and fish oil, no change in my lips. The rest of my skin hasn't changed except a little less redness from avoiding gluten.

Paleophil is offline Senior Member
    Kali, by any chance has your version of PB been very low carb, especially low in starches, yet still contained some quickly-digesting carby foods like milk or sugary fruits or juices? Danny Roddy started getting chapped lips after he went VLC and then later started drinking lots of OJ and milk, and it improved when he added egg yolks and liver: Becoming The Warmest Man Alive He attributed it to increased metabolism from carbs generating increased need for vitamin A (which is indeed linked to lip chapping, as are vitamins B2, B3 and B6) in the context of previously low metabolism (torpor) from VLC and veganism before that.

My lower lip also chaps when I eat too much at once of easily digested foods that either contain glucose or are quickly converted into glucose. Oranges are one that does it to me especially badly, even eating them whole instead of juiced. Dried fruits, especially dates, are another. Even too much raspberries or California blueberries can do it to me, whereas wild Maine blueberries don't cause it unless I eat a ton of them. I don't blame the foods themselves, as not everyone gets this from these foods. I think it's a clue that there's something wrong in my system and I suspect that VLC that was nearly devoid of starch may have exacerbated it for me. Egg yolks and liver don't seem to help significantly in my case, but it seems like resistant starch, especially unheated mung bean starch, and gradually trying to increase my intake of starchy whole foods (mostly raw or cooked and cooled overnight or longer, as too much freshly cooked hot starchy foods brings back the lip chapping) has helped some.
    Last edited by Paleophil; 03-22-2014 at 08:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
    Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong.
    Notes I may point to:
    1) WARNING: beware of chronic very low carb diets, especially ones low in resistant starch and other Paleo/Primal prebiotics
    2) I try to do what works best for me, and often fail. YMMV. Don't imitate me--find what works for you. The only fact I know for certain is that of my ignorance. Iím not prescribing.
    3) It may aid discussion if neither of us tries to speak for the other

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Interesting.

I have found the opposite to be the case. Since going primal I have increased my intake of fats exponentially. Doing so has done wonders for hydrating and nourishing my skin. I would assume increasing amount of fat soluble nutrients I am taking in is a key player here.

I would think that if you wanted a quick and easy to use natural lip balm though, some coconut oil would work beautifully, AND it would taste great and have no risk of nasty chemical aditives.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

dogsled7 is offline Junior Member
    I've noticed no change since going primal but used to be a martyr to chapped lips. I fixed it and haven't suffered for years. The only remedy is an almost obsessive preoccupation with keeping your lips dry. Never lick them, always wipe them, dry them immediately if they get wet. It sounds a bit weird, I know, but it's worked for me.

Paleophil is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Interesting.

I have found the opposite to be the case. Since going primal I have increased my intake of fats exponentially. Doing so has done wonders for hydrating and nourishing my skin. I would assume increasing amount of fat soluble nutrients I am taking in is a key player here.

I would think that if you wanted a quick and easy to use natural lip balm though, some coconut oil would work beautifully, AND it would taste great and have no risk of nasty chemical aditives.
    That's probably about what I would have said some years ago. I do find that both internal and external use of fats helps the skin up to a point, particularly saturated and monounsaturated fats, which the subcutaneous layer contains.

In my case and some others, it seems in the longer run that not getting enough starches and other carbs and prebiotics like resistant starch, inulin, glycans, and others, can eventually contribute to relapse or even worsening of symptoms. Just the other day a couple more VLC members of another forum that used to be called Dirty Carnivore (and changed to BetterHealthClue after it became obvious that many people were failing in the longer term on VLC and improving when they added some carbs back into their diets) and a blogger said that their dry skin and/or dry eyes resolved when they upped their intake of Primal starchy foods. It seems like every few days I see another longer term VLCer report adding some carbs and/or prebiotic foods back into their diets and generally improving as a result.

One interesting thing about resistant starch is that it can indirectly provide fat to the body throughout the day and night (the RS feeds gut bacteria which in turn generate short chain fatty acids that our body can use), instead of just at mealtimes and somewhat beyond.
    Last edited by Paleophil; 03-23-2014 at 03:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
    Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong.
    Notes I may point to:
    1) WARNING: beware of chronic very low carb diets, especially ones low in resistant starch and other Paleo/Primal prebiotics
    2) I try to do what works best for me, and often fail. YMMV. Don't imitate me--find what works for you. The only fact I know for certain is that of my ignorance. Iím not prescribing.
    3) It may aid discussion if neither of us tries to speak for the other