Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Contradictions page

mikebike is offline Senior Member

Contradictions

Shop Now
    Read these forums after awhile and you'll have your head spinning. Seems like almost every thing that I read that is supposed to be good, others say is bad. How the heck can you extract wtf you're supposed to eat? Some say milk by-products (assuming good sources) are great, others say bad. Some say beef, pork, poultry good, others say bad. Some say don't worry about the calories, just the carbs, others say got to worry about the calories too. Go to different primalish web sites and you'll read some vary contradictory information.

I want to lose weight and be as healthy as possible. How are you supposed to know?

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    I would say that no one should do their research exclusively on the internet or a single website. There is a ton of recommended reading suggested on this site, I would personally start with Good Calorie, Bad Calorie and go from there once you have the knowledge base. It is much better to make an educated decision based on research rather than pick a single internet opinion to follow. Just my $.02.

Wanderer is offline Junior Member
    Hi,

Diet/health is big news these days and apparently big money too. We have been fed faulty information for years and now a lot of truth is starting to rise from what is sort of like an underground movement. I too read a lot of things that contradict what seem to be "rules." But I then try to understand that forums are filled with many people; not just one mind. That leads to many interpretations and preferences as well as goals and needs.
    What I try to do is gather information from many sources/ eating methods (the ones that make sense to me based on my own knowledge) and look for common threads. I know what is healthy for the most part and that is my starting point. From there I look at certain things as sort of a template and fit it to what my body reacts to either good or bad.
    I am not a PB follower per se. I don't eat what I would call "primal" but I do take notes and apply what I need from it.

What cuts through the confusion for me, is to look at the basis for whatever I'm studying, in this case PB, and then apply the principles to my needs. Forget about what others are doing. Study what makes Primal eating work and use that to guide you and apply it to your overall plan. Well, that's my opinion anyway

inforg is offline Member
    As a newer paleo/primal person, I can definitely understand where you are coming from. But, the greatest part about the whole general concept is that we are all contrarians - ignore what people tell you on these forums. You will lose weight and feel better if you do the things everyone agrees on:

1. Get rid of grains, legumes, processed food, sugar etc.
    2. Dairy - probably best in moderation at most.
    3. Move more
    4. Try to balance O3 and O6
    5. Eat good foods.

The rest of the plan needs to be tailored to what you honestly feel you can do and sustain FOREVER. Stay close to the plan, try to eat as "clean" (organic, grass fed, etc.) as possible, and don't sweat the rest. If you want to count calories, count away. I found it helpful using FitDay.com just to see what I eat, and how it affects my numbers overall - it pushes me toward healthier choices. I'm eating a good volume of food and if my worst "cheats" are a little nut butter and a cup of cottage cheese, I'm not going to let that discourage me back to Big Macs, Pizza, and apple fritters

Pick and choose what makes sense to you, follow it, see results, tweak as necessary.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Find your niche. This is a way of life with tons of variety, even a 20% window for whatever makes you smile and actualized. That, and the contradictions it spawns, is why I believe I have found a sustainable lifestyle not a diet.

There is a chasm here between those who want to lose weight and those who want to be super fit. Another between those who are hard core paleos and those who are a little more liberal with what they will and will not do, or even believe.

There are basics we all agree on.

Cut the processed foods -- sweets, grains and veggie/seed oils.
    Eat real food.
    Be smart about fructose and starches
    Lower carbs for fatties and higher for fitties
    Address inflammation
    Have some bacon
    Get some sun
    Play with yourself if no one else will

Inforg :hifive:

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    The best research is your experience. I've believed so much from the low-carb/paleo community and most of it didn't do me any good. I decided to experiment with an open mind, and contrary to what most believe in this forum, these are some things that seem to work best for me: egg whites only; NO BACON; never lifting on an empty stomach; fruits are good; carbs have their place in one's diet; white rice won't kill me; etc.

And I am so fed up with people throwing "read GCBC" around. It's as if it was a bible. Okay got that off my chest, I always wanted to say that!
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Read Good Calories Bad Calories.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grol View Post
    Read Good Calories Bad Calories.
    as if it were the bible.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    The best research is your experience. I've believed so much from the low-carb/paleo community and most of it didn't do me any good. I decided to experiment with an open mind, and contrary to what most believe in this forum, these are some things that seem to work best for me: egg whites only; NO BACON; never lifting on an empty stomach; fruits are good; carbs have their place in one's diet; white rice won't kill me; etc.

And I am so fed up with people throwing "read GCBC" around. It's as if it was a bible. Okay got that off my chest, I always wanted to say that!
    White rice will kill you.

It's been plotting.

Planning.

Waiting.

Silently.

Always waiting.

Until you let down your guard, and then it STRIKES!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast