Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Muscle breakdown at night page

  1. #1
    RittenRemedy's Avatar
    RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Korea
    Posts
    2,673

    Muscle breakdown at night

    A gym... Sista... was talking today about how she drinks a casein shake before bed to prevent muscle breakdown overnight to get protein for the body. Is this maybe something that's only an issue on a low protein diet or maybe a glycogen thing? I've seen a lot of paleo folks who eat their carbs later in the day for better sleep and glycogen. Makes sense? Bros, teach me your science.

  2. #2
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    8,443
    Broscience 101:

    Nutrient timing is minutiae. The most important thing is to get the right amount of the right muscle building blocks overall. If you've got that 100% sorted, then and only then:

    Congratulations. You're probably seeing fantastic body composition successes already. Now you can dial it in a bit further.

    Muscle Protein Synthesis is a very metabolically expensive process. It's actually best served by making sure you have an adequate supply of the BCAA's every 4-5 hours, especially right after lifting (there's a refractory period after a feeding). Whey protein is the best source of BCAA's. If you've got that sorted:

    You can worry about not allowing a single cell of muscle tissue (other than those that absolutely have to be replaced) to ever get burned. Yeah, casein is the best slow-absorbing protein. Cottage cheese is full of it too.

    In my opinion, for nearly everyone, this would be a case of missing the forest for the trees. Hit your macros, be consistent as hell in your lifting, follow a correct program, and when you're ready to enter a PL meet or a bodybuilding pageant, then bog yourself down in the details.
    The Champagne of Beards

  3. #3
    TQP's Avatar
    TQP
    TQP is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    5,184
    Steak is a slow-release protein source too...

    ...but cottage cheese is mostly casein if I'm correct right bro peeps?

  4. #4
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    8,073
    Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post
    Steak is a slow-release protein source too...

    ...but cottage cheese is mostly casein if I'm correct right bro peeps?
    U r correct

  5. #5
    Elliot's Avatar
    Elliot is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,327
    Cortisol peaks at night and cortisol promotes muscle catabolism, so the woman's statement has some truth to it.

  6. #6
    James Ming's Avatar
    James Ming is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    141
    true. but kind of useless advice in my opinion. If you have the right balance of protein in your body and diet, the muscle which breaks down at night (which isnt a ton anyway) comes right back. you wouldnt even miss it

  7. #7
    FrenchFry's Avatar
    FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    world
    Posts
    1,856
    Yeah, I heard hunter-gatherers were having a lizard / cricket / worm shake to avoid thinning out through the night ... HG bros are so knowledgeable!

  8. #8
    Mr. Anthony's Avatar
    Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,729
    I tend to think minutiae like this doesn't matter for anyone until you're at fitness model-level.

    Sent via lightsaber

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    4,522
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    In my opinion, for nearly everyone, this would be a case of missing the forest for the trees. Hit your macros, be consistent as hell in your lifting, follow a correct program, and when you're ready to enter a PL meet or a bodybuilding pageant, then bog yourself down in the details.
    agreed. people are so fascinated with the supplement industry that they think drinking the shakes/popping the pills will make them look like the guys or girls in the magazines. (hint: it won't.) if you have everything in place and are consistent and your body is moving in the right direction, then stick with it. adding an extra shake won't make a difference. if you are consistent and you've maybe stalled with your mass building goals, and you just can't cram any more steak/eggs/dairy down your throat every day, then maybe get some extra protein from a shake.

    I wish I had the money back that I used to spend at gnc when I was in my early 20s. man...

  10. #10
    RittenRemedy's Avatar
    RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Korea
    Posts
    2,673
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    agreed. people are so fascinated with the supplement industry that they think drinking the shakes/popping the pills will make them look like the guys or girls in the magazines. (hint: it won't.) if you have everything in place and are consistent and your body is moving in the right direction, then stick with it. adding an extra shake won't make a difference. if you are consistent and you've maybe stalled with your mass building goals, and you just can't cram any more steak/eggs/dairy down your throat every day, then maybe get some extra protein from a shake.

    I wish I had the money back that I used to spend at gnc when I was in my early 20s. man...
    Haha I know right? This girl wasn't a fitness model either. Not that she wasn't slim, but to be honest, she could probably just use more protein anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •