Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How long does it take you to do a workout? page 3

Stacy15 is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    As brief as possible....you don't grow in the gym.
    Good thing! I'm trying to shrink still

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    My gym routine is around 90 minutes 5 days a week at the moment, some 30 – 35 sets, and that’s pretty much medium volume for me! Further on I may do more or less depending on periodization. I also do morning cardio 6 days a week for an hour…
    how long have you been working out like this? I nkow you're in good shape, but are you seeing constant improvements/gains in size or strength? i'm just curious because it seems like an awful lot of work to do just to maintain
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    how long have you been working out like this? I nkow you're in good shape, but are you seeing constant improvements/gains in size or strength? i'm just curious because it seems like an awful lot of work to do just to maintain
    I had a ' high volume ' day yesterday and it was 14 sets, Gorbag probably does more in one session than I do all week, LOL.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    I feel that I am improving when I can move more total tonnage around in the gym and recover fast enough from it, so yes I am still improving, but with different goals from what I had in my twenties. I am not that interested in becoming bigger, since I think I am big enough or set any 1 RM records! So strength endurance and body tissue turnover is what I am doing, and I feel very good the way I am training, but I cycle volume, intensity and frequency all the time based on years of experience. I love to train this way and I have never felt better or more healthy than I do now. Lately I have improved my total numbers of 220 pound barbell wrist curls, I can do a decent numbers of standing curls with 75 pound dumbbells, also lots of strict pull ups to the neck and I am almost certain that I can deadlift 600 if somebody put a gun to my head…
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

I feel that I am improving when I can move more total tonnage around in the gym and recover fast enough from it, so yes I am still improving, but with different goals from what I had in my twenties. I am not that interested in becoming bigger, since I think I am big enough or set any 1 RM records! So strength endurance and body tissue turnover is what I am doing, and I feel very good the way I am training, but I cycle volume, intensity and frequency all the time based on years of experience. I love to train this way and I have never felt better or more healthy than I do now. Lately I have improved my total numbers of 220 pound barbell wrist curls, I can do a decent numbers of standing curls with 75 pound dumbbells, also lots of strict pull ups to the neck and I am almost certain that I can deadlift 600 if somebody put a gun to my head…
    as long as you feel ok and see improvements in what you're doing, then I guess you're good to go.

just be careful in your old age...
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Gorbag is offline Senior Member

just be careful in your old age...
    Old age??? A while ago when I flirted with an almost underage girl she thought that I was either 33 or 34! People at my age should train MOAR than in their younger days and eat better to keep their body in top shape, but I am staying away from chronic cardio though, my routine has nothing to do with that fallacy…
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Old age??? A while ago when I flirted with an almost underage girl she thought that I was either 33 or 34! People at my age should train MOAR than in their younger days and eat better to keep their body in top shape, but I am staying away from chronic cardio though, my routine has nothing to do with that fallacy…
    yeah...if you don't use it, you'll lose it. that's for sure

Eureka5280 is offline Senior Member
    yeah...if you don't use it, you'll lose it. that's for sure
    I never had it. But I'm trying to get it...
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Eureka5280: M / 38 / 235lbs / Goal: 180lbs

Diet: Currently experimenting with higher carb (Peat-esque) primal with emphasis on beef, dairy, seafood, sugar and a bit of starch on lifting days.

Activities: Started Stronglifts 5x5 on 3/1/14. Adding sprints and hikes soon.
    End of Year Working Set Goals: Squats-250, Bench-200, DL-315

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    Curling 75's....holy crap, that's some good weight buddy !

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmsmall View Post
    Last night, 15 minutes. Horizontal row to failure. (ouch.) Chest press to failure. Ouch. Lat pulldown to failure. Whimper. MedEx back machine to failure. Ummmm. Leg press to failure; whined like a wimp.

Oh yeah, walked around staggering for 20 minutes to recover enough to drive home. This I do once a week. All weights have basically doubled in the past year. Depending on your goals, there is some evidence that this protocol is pretty ideal unless you have other reasons that you want to work out more often.

Doc Jim
    With my current work/life schedule, this is something I'd been thinking about, but I wasn't sure it'd be a good thing to do. Just get to the gym once or twice a week, bust out one set of each exercise, and get out. Maybe it's worth a try?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast