Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 62

Thread: Why is my gut getting bigger? page

  1. #1
    guitarfan85's Avatar
    guitarfan85 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    ct, usa
    Posts
    218

    Why is my gut getting bigger?

    I started the 5x5 program about a month and half ago. I don't follow it to the "T" but pretty closely. I notice my chest is a little more defined and my legs feel more solid.

    I don't count my calories and exact amounts of nutrients, but Ive been eating a lot more protein and increased carbs but not much. I was pretty low carb before the program and I only increased a little. I know that's not specific enough. When I make a soup in the crock pot once a week, I add half a box of pasta. A bowl of soup per day lasts about a week. So I wouldn't think half a box of pasta would be that much if an increase. I eat a wrap several times a week. No loafs of bread or pizza.

    I've been eating bananas, one or maybe two a day.

    I'm about 6ft 6.1. I did not weigh myself at the beginning and I have not weighed myself yet. Perhaps I should. I just figured between burning fat and building muscle, that a scale would not be able to tell me much.


    I have NOT been sprinting at all. And I know should be. Is that the reason, or in part as to why my gut is getting bigger and my pants are harder to fit into?

  2. #2
    Knifegill's Avatar
    Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,740
    Sprinting IS said to reduce visceral fat. That's all I know.


    Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

    My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

  3. #3
    FrenchFry's Avatar
    FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    world
    Posts
    1,856
    Are you sure it is visceral fat ?
    I would just remove the pasta (if it's wheat) or replace with rice pasta. But really, prefer real potatoes or rice, that's more real foods

  4. #4
    yodiewan's Avatar
    yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,528
    Some of my pants/shorts don't fit well anymore due to glute hypertrophy over the years. Sqauts (when performed correctly) will do that for you :-)

    If you're sure it's your gut, I would be inclined to think it's just bloating, especially if it seemed to happen suddenly. You could have problems digesting the increased carbs that you recently added. Or it could be something else entirely.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    4,522
    I add white rice or lentils to my soup for carb content. ditch the pasta.

    if you're actively eating more and trying to build muscle mass, then expect to add a bit of bodyfat while doing that. you can tweak your calories accordingly to try to minimize the fat gain, but if you want to add muscle, you're going to add fat.

    for exampl, I overdid it a bit this winter, but I really wanted to add some more muscle mass. from mid august to the end of february, I actually gained 22lbs. I've lost 3lbs in the past 2 weeks so far and haven't weighed myself yet this week. I will lean out from now until the summer and throughout the summer, then probably start the process again in the fall. it doesn't bother me to lose my abs in the winter anyway. i'm not fat (probably 22-23% right now) so my abs aren't really showing right now, but they will be soon.

  6. #6
    guitarfan85's Avatar
    guitarfan85 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    ct, usa
    Posts
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Some of my pants/shorts don't fit well anymore due to glute hypertrophy over the years. Sqauts (when performed correctly) will do that for you :-)

    If you're sure it's your gut, I would be inclined to think it's just bloating, especially if it seemed to happen suddenly. You could have problems digesting the increased carbs that you recently added. Or it could be something else entirely.
    I'm not sure if its my gut only, but its definitely part. And I was a little bloated after I ate last night, but all I had was a steak, no carbs. But I did have a big glass of milk.

  7. #7
    guitarfan85's Avatar
    guitarfan85 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    ct, usa
    Posts
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    I add white rice or lentils to my soup for carb content. ditch the pasta.

    if you're actively eating more and trying to build muscle mass, then expect to add a bit of bodyfat while doing that. you can tweak your calories accordingly to try to minimize the fat gain, but if you want to add muscle, you're going to add fat.

    for exampl, I overdid it a bit this winter, but I really wanted to add some more muscle mass. from mid august to the end of february, I actually gained 22lbs. I've lost 3lbs in the past 2 weeks so far and haven't weighed myself yet this week. I will lean out from now until the summer and throughout the summer, then probably start the process again in the fall. it doesn't bother me to lose my abs in the winter anyway. i'm not fat (probably 22-23% right now) so my abs aren't really showing right now, but they will be soon.
    Now why is that? I thought that building muscle was supposed to convert from the fat? As in a win/win situation, I didn't know I would gain body fat too. Is it because of the increase carbs that I gain fat too? I will switch to rice then instead of pasta to rule that out.

    My other theory is that I increased eating a lot more at the beginning if the 5x5 program when the weights were all really light...... So I was eating more than my workouts required.....but now the weights getting heavier so hopefully my workout will actually warrant the amount of food I eat. Could that be possible?

  8. #8
    Fdispenza's Avatar
    Fdispenza is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarfan85 View Post
    Now why is that? I thought that building muscle was supposed to convert from the fat?
    That's an old wives' tale. Fat can not turn into muscle, or muscle into fat any more than a brain can turn into a liver. They are completely different tissue. You lose fat and build muscle, or you lose muscle and get fat.
    "Our dearest friend banished, Loki on the throne, Asgard on the brink of war, yet you've managed to consume four wild boars, six pheasants, a side of beef, and two casks of ale. Shame on you, don't you care?"

  9. #9
    quikky's Avatar
    quikky is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,198
    Why are you eating pasta and wraps?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    4,522
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarfan85 View Post
    Now why is that? I thought that building muscle was supposed to convert from the fat? As in a win/win situation, I didn't know I would gain body fat too. Is it because of the increase carbs that I gain fat too? I will switch to rice then instead of pasta to rule that out.

    My other theory is that I increased eating a lot more at the beginning if the 5x5 program when the weights were all really light...... So I was eating more than my workouts required.....but now the weights getting heavier so hopefully my workout will actually warrant the amount of food I eat. Could that be possible?
    yeah, old wives tale. fat and muscle are 2 different things entirely. i'd eliminate the pasta for sure and switch it to white rice. wheat can cause bloating

    if you're eating more, then you will store some of those excess calories as fat. that's the bottom line. in a nutshell, the extra body fat you're seeing has more to do with the extra calories and not a much to do with the extra carbs. mark's carb curve stuff is wishy-washy "science" at best.

    if you're lifting heavier and intend on building muscle, then you need the caloric excess for growth and recovery. most people find that 300-500 calories above maintenance is a good amount. some need more.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •