Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you "get lost" when you hear certain songs? page

MsSmith is offline Senior Member

Red face Do you "get lost" when you hear certain songs?

Primal Fuel
    Sometimes I lose myself when I hear certain songs. Always "Glitter In The Air" by Pink, and always "When Doves Cry" by Prince. This morning, Prince's "Kiss" was on the radio and I got lost in it. By lost, I mean I get triple layers of goosebumps and tune out of everything else and sometimes dance like I am never able to otherwise. It's almost primal. It's just something that happens. I'm gone and totally immersed in the music. Sometimes Dave Matthews' " # 41" does it to me. Some of Pavarotti's songs have done it to me, too.

How about you? Any songs you lose yourself in?
    Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
    Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
    Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
    Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
    CW: 158 GW: 130 CBF%: 24.38
    48 - 5'7.5"

"What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven't happened yet." ~ A.F.

"Exercising should be about rewarding the body with endorphins and strength, not about punishing your body for what you've eaten." ~ Unknown

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Absolutely I do. Some songs make me want to just headbang, and I often forget I am doing work at a coffeehouse or public place, so I have to be careful about that so as not to get some, ah, weird looks.

Other songs almost ALWAYS make me feel sad so I cannot, CANNOT listen to them unless I am alone.

Here's one that a friend introduced me to that always gets me a bit: Koyuki - Full Moon Sways - YouTube

And here's another one that I have always loved since I first heard it: Cowboy Bebop- Blue (Full) - YouTube (I want this played at my freakin' funeral)

Oh, and then, when you're at a public place and you hear an EXTREMELY depressing song come on over the PA system and you're just like, "okay, would you play this song at a fucking bar?!? What is this, the lonely hearts club bar?" Just... Ugh.

Depressing music has its place, but not in public places where people are supposed to be happy and sociable.
    Last edited by Drumroll; 03-16-2014 at 01:56 PM.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Yes. I've especially experienced this with live music. Especially at smaller venues where you can really see the musicians performing.

This one (or anything with Derek Trucks) works pretty reliably for me:

The sensation/goosebumps thing (Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response - ASMR) was discussed on the latest Paleo Solution podcast:
    Robb Wolf - The Paleo Solution - Episode 215 (Q&A)

Also just found that there is a subreddit dedicated to it:
    ASMR. Sounds that feel good
    Last edited by yodiewan; 03-16-2014 at 03:24 PM.

MsSmith is offline Senior Member
    Oooh thanks! I will listen to those ASAP.

I listened to my entire Spotify playlist today. DD got a kick out of me dancing and singing around the house all day.

I also got lost in the Goo Goo Dolls' "Iris". Some of SRV's (Stevie Ray Vaughan) songs used to do that to me too but I'm not sad/don't have the blues anymore. I am still struck/stricken ?? by them though.
    Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
    Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
    Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
    Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
    CW: 158 GW: 130 CBF%: 24.38
    48 - 5'7.5"

"What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven't happened yet." ~ A.F.

"Exercising should be about rewarding the body with endorphins and strength, not about punishing your body for what you've eaten." ~ Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by MsSmith View Post
    Oooh thanks! I will listen to those ASAP.
    Let me know what you think of the songs I linked when you get a moment. They're both pretty obscure in the grand scheme of things, so I am almost positive most people here won't have heard them. But I think both of them are amazingly artistic, deep, and sad on a level that just... Hits me perfectly to create a feeling of emotions every time.

Oh, and on a random and much happier note: I remember the Jim Carey movie "The Mask" from seeing it when I grew up. Loved it! My favorite scene was when he was trying to distract and confuse a mod of police officers by singing and dancing to the song "Cuban Pete."

I was inspired to look up the original version and I found it here, God rest Desi Arnaz's beautifully artistic soul:

HD_Cuban Pete_Desi Arnaz 1946_Lyrics - YouTube

It makes me want to just get up and dance. I suppose that's what it's supposed to do though, heh.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MsSmith View Post
    Some of SRV's (Stevie Ray Vaughan) songs used to do that to me too but I'm not sad/don't have the blues anymore. I am still struck/stricken ?? by them though.
    SRV is the man. One of my favorite artists for a long time now. It's like the guitar is just an extension of himself. And he's just opening a door and letting raw emotion/energy come through. Same with Derek Trucks. Transcendental is the word that comes to mind. The lick from 0:57 - 1:05 in the video below gets me every time. The whole song is spectacular of course.

Ok, how could I forget this one? The first song I ever had an "epiphany" to and can remember crying to:

Steve Conte - Call Me, Call Me! - YouTube

When you figure out what this song is REALLY about, not just what it SOUND like it's about... Bam! Cue waterworks.

Yes, I am a sentimental fool.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    I tend to lose myself in the music of Bjork! Best musical artist last twenty years or more:
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    I tend to lose myself in the music of Bjork! Best musical artist last twenty years or more
    I was under the impression that it was Michael Bolton or Yanni.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast