Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (goingprimal) page

goingprimal is offline Senior Member

Primal Journal (goingprimal)

Shop Now
    Well, I think it has taken hold. This is day 8 I think? I am going to post, because I feel like I am not having much variety. Maybe logging it will make that more clear...

B: 1 egg fried in butter, coffee with stevia and splash of milk
    S: 1/2 banana
    L: Ground free-range turkey with green chiles over romaine lettuce
    S: Handful of walnuts
    S:Couple bites of smoked amsterdam gouda (hadn't had cheese in MONTHS due to vegan diet prior to this...it was delicious)
    D: Dungeness crab legs, baby greens with carrots/red pepper and homemade tarragon vinaigrette.

Oh, and a couple glasses of Sauvignon Blanc. I have been trying to switch to red wine, but summer leaves me wanting something refreshing with a kick.

The banana is way out of the norm for me, but we had some about to go south, so I thought it was better than wasting it completely. I could only eat half though (too sweet) and ended up composting the other half.

brooki is offline Member
    Why how do you go from vegan to eating meat so quickly? Was it an easy decision?

Well, to be honest I had been somewhat unsatisfied as a vegan for a while. My reasons for going vegan were a)I heard it was the 'healthiest' diet and b)I think animal farming (read: factory farming) hurts the environment and is unethical. When I went vegan several months ago, I was trying so hard to make sure I was getting all my nutrients and eating beans and grains and vegetables like crazy; but I was feeling lethargic and run down. Over the past couple of months, I started researching ways to bring more protein into a vegan diet, and for some reason this site and the link to protein sources came up on my google search. As I was reading, it started to make sense that eating meat might actually make sense.

I was really worried about the first day - I ate salmon, and was okay with that - I guess I just kind of slid down the hill from there. In the past week I have had salmon, shrimp, crab, steak, ground beef, pork, bacon, turkey bacon, ground turkey, and chicken. Amazingly, the transition was pretty easy for me. I will only eat free-range/antibiotic-free poultry, grass-fed beef, plus sustainable seafood - because I have learned enough to know that those are the healthiest for me. I guess the transition was helped by knowing that I was being as healthy as I could be...as a vegan I felt like no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get enough protein and nutrients - and all of that bulky food was keeping me from getting lean. So I made the switch.

I know this was kind of a long ramble, but I have actually wondered myself why it was so easy. My veg friends would say I just gave up because I have no discipline or commitment. The thing is, now I know that I am committed...to making myself as healthy as possible.

brooki is offline Member
    Good on you, I was vegetarian for a couple of years because of my love for animals but I was the same, always tired, having to worry constantly about food. This way is easy and it works.

It is relatively easy. I need to learn to prep better (i.e. - thaw the meat that is in the freezer before it is time to cook it) but I will get there.

So here is today:

B: Two eggs and two strips of bacon

S: 1/2 cup of Pedialyte. I felt like I was going to pass out from the heat today and it was in the fridge, so what the hey.

L: Chicken stir fry with bok choy, carrots, mushrooms, and cabbage.

S: Beef jerky

D: Grilled hamburger with salad and a few sweet potato fries (call it a mini-carb reload - this is my first 'potato' since going primal).

Today was pretty easy. I didn't even really get hungry for dinner, but am still used to the "it has been five hours - it is time to eat" mentality of my past. My weight stabilized today. I have been weighing every day, just to see what is going on in the early days, and every day I had lost at least a half a pound. Today, I was up two tenths of a pound from yesterday, so I think the water weight is finally all gone and now we will start getting to fat loss. So far down over 5.5 lbs from 9 days ago, though - so even if it is just water it makes me feel like I am accomplishing something.

I have forgotten to include activity - Friday was totally sedentary, so nothing to report. Saturday I weeded the garden, mulched, cleaned out the garage - all in 95 degree heat. So I guess that counts as moving slowly and lifting heavy weights. Today, not so much...just a little housecleaning. Tomorrow I am starting Turbulence Training again to get bodyweight exercises in.

Today:

B: Fritatta with tomatoes, red peppers, zucchini, onion, and bacon

L: Chipotle - Carnitas salad (pork and romaine only, added my own salsa at home because I don't know what is in their salsa)

D: Chili (sauteed onion, carrot, zucchini pureed with tomatoes and cooked with ground beef) and salad

Up a little in weight today - going to start weighing once a week now.

B: Two eggs fried in butter, coffee, milk, stevia

L: Barbecued chicken breast and salad with greens, zucchini, carrots, vinaigrette

S: Beef jerky

D: Leftover chili and salad

I was STARVING by dinner time today. I need to make sure I keep nuts or something on hand to have at work to keep the hunger at bay.

No activity, once again. I will set my alarm in the morning and get up and do something...work is too sedentary and I can't switch jobs - so I need to exercise.

B: One egg, one slice bacon

L: Beef curry, salad with greens, carrots, cucumber, homemade mustard vinaigrette

S: Almonds

D: Beef stew with carrots, onion, mushrooms, peas; red wine

Activity - lame - I slept in. I WILL move some tomorrow and maybe even lift heavy things.

B: One egg, one slice bacon

L: Salad with greens, carrots, cucumber, MV dressing and leftover beef stew

S: Almonds

D: Almond crusted chicken with bruschetta topping (baby tomatoes, basil, olive oil), baked sweet potato chips, leftover salad from lunch, red wine

Activity:

Turbulence training and sprints. My legs are sore today!

PrimalCon New York
    Yesterday's food -

IF'd through breakfast, ate lunch at noon. It was my first IF since starting - and it wasn't too hard. Maybe I can do it once a week?

L: Two eggs scrambled with zucchini, roasted red pepper, garlic

D: Salad with greens and cucumber, 5 large shrimp sauteed in hazelnut brown butter (mmmmm) and then a bowl of leftover stew

I had a couple of glasses of wine tonight (date night with hubby) and WOW did they hit me hard. I have had wine since starting this, but not that much...it seems perhaps that grains/starches acted as a buffer to keep the alcohol from hitting my system as hard. I will have to keep that in mind before having more than a little wine in the future...

Took a walk downtown, not much other activity today.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast