Thread: Energy off the charts and then... CRASH page

Rivvin is offline Senior Member

Energy off the charts and then... CRASH

Primal Fuel
    Ever since I went primal a year ago my daily energy has absolutely skyrocketed. I no longer have afternoon crashes and when I wake up I'm not dreary of fuzzy at all. I literally jump out of bed and I'm ready to kick some ass.

However, whereas I used to not get the slightest bit tired until around 11:00pm before, I find that now as soon as 10:00pm rolls around I am ready to crawl into bed. I don't really understand why I can be so damn energetic during the day but just zonk out come 10.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of rapid shift or is it normal for sleeping habits to start shifting in our mid twenties like this?

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    What time do you get up?

Any chance you're more physical now?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Seems perfectly normal to me. That's sort of how I am. I'm up at 5:30-6:00 most days when the sun comes up, and crash by 10:00-11:00 when the sun has finally gone down.

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    i prefer crashing at night to being drowsy all day and an insomniac at night
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    I get up at 5:30 and I have doubled my crossfit intensity, so I guess it makes sense... it's just how sudden and dramatically it changed that has surprised me I guess.

brooki is offline Member
    I love the fact that I have more energy all day and then when I get to about 10.30 I crash. I used to have trouble sleeping because it is hard to turn my mind off but I am so tired at night that I go to sleep within 5 minutes and I sleep all night. When I wake at 6-6.30 I am wide awake and ready for my day. I have always had a lot of energy but since eating primally I bounce off the walls all day and have no ups and downs. Everyone is reaching for a coffee or chocolate at 3pm I don't even feel like eating.

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    I don't think 6.5 hours is enough sleep. But that's just me. I need AT LEAST 8. I know that some people can function on 4 or so. I like to do more than "function"... I'm more into performing well. Plus it only makes sense that if you increase your physical output, you need more rest. Our bodies heal while we're asleep. So, correct me if I'm wrong. But you should really be hitting your muscles during a crossfit workout. They need to recover. That's a pretty straight up formula. (Ask Mr. Spock!)

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Ah, I think it's the increased intensity in your workout. That does it to me. It really can have a marked effect. But I think you just need some time to adjust.

primalpatty is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm doing the same thing -- wake up at 5:00 - 5:30, and my body shuts down at around 9:00 - 9:30. A friend once told me he could actually see the curtain go down as I hit that wall -- one moment I'm awake, the next I'm fighting sleep, so regularly he could keep time by it. I don't think of it as an issue, though -- I just crawl in bed and sleep like a rock. I don't even think this has anything to do with my paleo diet (other than I no longer crave naps mid-afternoon, and I have insane energy until the moment the sleep-wall hits). I just think that's how our circadian rhythms are built. When the time comes, we go to sleep.