Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dairy by products page

mikebike is offline Senior Member

Dairy by products

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So I'm reading a thread here about what you won't give up and I read a ton of people posting dairy.
    If you don't have a problem with lactose and you're using good sources, why would you want to give up cream, sour cream, et al? I don't get it?

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    In general, it's only the proteins that are a problem besides the lactose in quality dairy. There's mixed evidence about how problematic they might be, and some people choose to cut them out on that basis. I have no idea why someone would cut out dairy that's basically all fat other than making diet a religion.
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

Monstre is offline Junior Member
    I was wondering this as well actually, I've just found a raw milk source and am going to be getting 4L every two weeks starting next wednesday - did I do a primal no-no?

No, although you should be aware that milk (even healthy, nourishing, quality raw milk) is not really a great food for weight loss if that's one of your goals.

waxleaves is offline Member
    I cut out dairy for a while because I was on Cordain's version of paleo, in which dairy=bad. Now I'm trying it out again. As long as I'm not eating gluten, I can handle it fine. I'm still pretty confused about it, and I don't have very much of it.

Why isn't it a good food for weight loss?

Highly insulinogenic and contains a variety of cellular proliferative factors. Great for muscle growth and great (within reason) for growing bodies, but this doesn't make for good weight loss material in most people.

Incidentally, it's these cellular proliferative effects which are among those which concern dairy-phobes. It may (and I don't think it's entirely unreasonable, but I'm somewhat skeptical) be the case that pre-existing micro-tumors such as occur all the time in even perfectly healthy adults but are usually eliminated through a combination of induced apoptosis and immune action are exacerbated by this and tend to grow larger (and thus have a higher chance of containing a subset of cells which have the means to become malignant).
    Last edited by Molecular Grokologist; 06-25-2010 at 03:54 PM.

Mac
    Mac is offline Senior Member
    Dairy milk is meant to provide nourishment to very large and rapidly growing herbivorous animals. I am not such an animal, therefore, I rather prefer to eat said very large, herbivorous animal itself. I figure it must have been far easier for our ancient ancestors to kill an animal and eat it as opposed to chase one down and milk it. I do occasionally have full fat yogurt and cheese though and we never by milk.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    MG - is there anything special about milk that makes it great for building muscle?

Btw, is there any danger to homogenized milk?
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

EReardo1 is offline Junior Member
    http://www.milksucks.com/index2.asp

this may be the vegetarian in me speaking but they way they treat the cows is horrendous- if your asking specifically as to why milk is bad for human consumption, the web site also lists health related issues

http://www.milksucks.com/more.asp

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EReardo1 View Post
    http://www.milksucks.com/index2.asp

this may be the vegetarian in me speaking but they way they treat the cows is horrendous- if your asking specifically as to why milk is bad for human consumption, the web site also lists health related issues

http://www.milksucks.com/more.asp
    Fortunately "they" does not include the small dairy farmer I buy my milk from.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast