Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barefoot shoes OTHER than Vibrams page 3

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellodee View Post
    Maybe a silly question, but why are Barefoot shoes supposed to be a good thing? I bought a pair of Merrel Barefoot and walking a long distance in them messed my toes up badly. Maybe my own fault because a friend said it was supposed to "fit like a glove" so I got a size that was snug around my feet. My toes are still a little black under the nails though, and it was LAST summer when I went on that long, painful walk. Something else that scared me was when I tried my mom's podiatric shoes my feet IMMEDIATELY felt better when they usually hurt.

Are we all really meant to wear close to nothing on our feet? Can podiatry not be a thing? :S

I need new shoes now, for being on my feet all day, and I'm wary of going this route again.
    Why? The whole Primal Blueprint premise. Our ancestors were barefoot or in minimal footwear for millions of years. Our feet can't possibly require highly structured shoes unless we have an injury or birth defect. My feet are much happier in minimalist shoes. (No, I don't go barefoot except at home. Not my trip.)

Another vote for SoftStar shoes. (I wear the Rogues. I am not a runner.) You can customize some of the styles to fit your foot or the look you want. And they are made in the United States not by semi-slaves in a foreign country.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Energy! is offline Senior Member
    I wear women's size 11 narrow, and love my Nike Frees. They do run small so I got men's.
    Last edited by Energy!; 05-19-2014 at 04:24 PM.

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Hedonist. Here's some good information on how shoes affect your gait:

Why Shoes Make "Normal" Gait Impossible

Quote Originally Posted by Nellodee View Post
    Maybe a silly question, but why are Barefoot shoes supposed to be a good thing? I bought a pair of Merrel Barefoot and walking a long distance in them messed my toes up badly. Maybe my own fault because a friend said it was supposed to "fit like a glove" so I got a size that was snug around my feet. My toes are still a little black under the nails though, and it was LAST summer when I went on that long, painful walk. Something else that scared me was when I tried my mom's podiatric shoes my feet IMMEDIATELY felt better when they usually hurt.

Are we all really meant to wear close to nothing on our feet? Can podiatry not be a thing? :S

I need new shoes now, for being on my feet all day, and I'm wary of going this route again.

wheelhouse is offline Junior Member
    Another vote for Merrells. I have been using the Trail Glove for for a few years now. I have fairly wide feet and I love how they tighten up around my heel and arch area, but my toes have tons of room to wiggle around.

blu3yy is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Xeroshoes

Quote Originally Posted by ajaj54 View Post
    I'm a size eleven womens US, and I have freaky long toes. Think like monkey feet. Now stop thinking about it, you're gonna give yourself the heebie jeebies. Anywho, the Vibram Five Fingers do NOT work for me, nor do most shoes, tbh. I'm like Hank Azaria's character in The Birdcage. "I never wear the shoes, because they make me fall down." I walk around barefoot at home and also outside if I can get away with it (I have very tough soles), but for the gym and hiking I need shoes. I love love love my New Balance Minimus cross trainers, but they no longer make this version anymore. So, before I wily nily sink seventy bucks into the new version, anybody feel like sounding off with their fav non-Vibram minimalist shoes?
    Hi there...I've converted to minimalism including minimalist shoes back in March - I recommend Xeroshoes as you can customize the shoe to fit your feet. You get use to them rather quickly once you sort out your stride/gait, they look nice, and they are comfy.

xeroshoes.com

) Have a lovely day )

Blanchy is offline Member
    You might look at:

Merrell Trail Gloves- tough, and great for hiking. My only problem with them is that they are a little narrow in the toe box. That being said, I have beat the crap out of them and they have held up admirably.

Vivo Barefoot- I picked up a used pair at a Goodwill, and they are incredibly comfortable. Probably the best fit and groundfeel of the minimalist shoes that I own. Caveats: they are pretty ugly (imho), and the material used for the uppers is very thin. I have multiple tears. I'm not sure I would purchase anything from them new, simply because I would worry that I would shred them.

Lems- I have a pair of their Boulder Boots, and they are fantastic. Fairly warm and water-resistant, and tough. They have a heavier sole than most minimalist shoes, so there is less connection with the ground, but they are quite comfortable. I'm pretty sure all of their shoes are built around the same sole, so there is plenty of toe room across the board.
    "Itís not about how strong you are, itís how well you can move with that strength."

Jim_H is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    I have a pare of barefoot by Merrell

Barefoot Shoes
    I was big in to the Trail Glove, but when they stopped making it in favor of the trail glove 2, I had to find other options. Merrell is too style driven, and fad driven-I think they see minimal as a fad to cash in on.

I have problems with their line. First, most are formed to fit a normal foot, so they curve in around the arches, which means someone with flat feet can not wear most of them. Second, many have thickly padded soles, and elevated heels. No more barefoot than a thin soled running shoe. Last, they just don't last and are way over priced.

The original Trail Gloves were fine for me, though they wore out very quickly. I used mine to hike while wearing socks, and after I gave up on the ridiculous idea of hiking in 5 fingers, I used them to do some very good hikes, including 1 over 25 miles with 8400' of elevation gain and loss. My feet were literally bloody, but I did it. The original had a rubbery interior and was pretty good for my foot to grip, so on short hikes less than 10 miles, I liked them.

Then my last pair of the original wore out and I had to buy the Trail Glove 2. I would tell people not to buy it. Not only is it even less durable and does it wear out even faster; stitching comes apart in the flexible parts, sole wears fast, and so on, but they put a silky smooth liner in to the shoe making it like walking on grease. I can no longer use my forefoot to grip rocks, I slide more and ram my toes in to the front, and the silk wears out before everything else creating the feeling of walking on shredded fabric. The Trail Glove 2 is junk.

I need a minimal shoe for everyday use, right now in summer I use sandals, but I wear Altra Trail shoes for hiking. It isn't minimal, but is zero drop. Otherwise, it has a wide toe box, but mostly resembles a standard shoe. I can not grip stuff like I used to do with my forefoot, but since I was unable to do that with my TG2, who cares?

Owen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    I have a pare of barefoot by Merrell

Barefoot Shoes
    Seconded - had mine for two years, best shoes I've ever owned

eig
    eig is offline Senior Member
    Im hoping to buy a new pair of barefoot shoes to replace my vibrams when they wear out, Im looking to either soft star or merrell... Haven't decided yet.

As far as casual goes, these are the best, made to order, cheap at $35 (birthday shoes/ huaraches) I love them:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1755568..._home_active_1.
    "...You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve.Ē -Ginny

My story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/i-now...#axzz2MzPtxo00

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Pretty neat looking; very minimal. Wish I could wear something like that!

M.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast