jtkeith is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

8/8

9:00am - 2 cups of black coffee

11:00am - 3 egg scramble with broccoli, onions, red peppers

5pm - snack of walnut, filbers, macadamia nuts, cheese, and some salami

7:00pm - tuna melt with salad substituted for chips/fries, and one beer

--

Woke up two pounds lighter (157) than yesterday, but also feeling like I need to get out and move a bit more. Didn't quite accomplish that, so something to hit harder tomorrow...

Have a fabulous evening!

8/9

9:00am - 2 cups of black coffee

11:00am - 3 egg scramble with bacon, cheese

3:00pm - salmon fillet, two skewers of scallops, shrimp, beef at my Dad's birthday party. Two beers.

5pm - snack of almonds, macadamia nuts, filberts

--

Lots of driving here and there today with family stuff. Diet was mostly okay; exercise was mostly non-existent. Hitting the gym tomorrow as scheduled!

8/10

8am - 2 cups of black coffee

11am - salad with greens, cherry tomatoes, and cold chicken

1pm - salad with greens, grape tomatoes, and beef strips

3pm - one cup of coffee

8pm - conveyor belt sushi

--

That's a lot of salad when you put it all together. The sushi was good, especially the seared salmon. No alcohol today, but no exercise either due to an unexpected need to work several hours later than expected. That's korg life for you!

8/11

Started today with a weigh-in:

H: 5'9" (nope, didn't get any taller)

W: 159 (pretty much always this +/- 2lbs)

My assessment of this first week:

I'm doing very well on the diet portion, which thankfully is like 80% of good primal health. I came into this month already several months into the primal diet, so that's kind of expected I suppose. Explicit grains of all kinds have long been gone, replaced with lots of veggies, salads, more real meat, fish, nuts, and berries. I also supplement with vit. D3 and omega-3 fish oil to offset all that grain fed meat

Intermittent fasting is also going well (though 20hrs is about my current limit). I think IF's are easier with the increased satiety of the higher fat, higher protein, low carb diet. Honestly, I think the compound efect of lower carb (lowering insulin production), IF, and increased strength conditioning is pretty killer, and is what I personally need to continue. There's much to learn here I think.

Speaking of exercise - this past week was frightfully messed up. It felt like I flaked out more than I have in months. Weird that would happen just when I decide to keep a journal for a bit. That's something to attend to, for sure.

I have definitely *not* been alcohol-free this week, but haven't really overindulged either. My self observation is that beer has more obvious negative effects than wine, but in either case I'm not having more than two drinks at a sitting. I think to move from 80% to 90% this will need to improve though.

--

Bottom line:

Diet: 80% there

Exercise: 50% there

So I'd say I'm about 80% overall, with some room for dietary improvement, and lots of room for exercise improvement. Kind of where I started a week ago, but with a whole lot of recording to help make it obvious where I ought to focus.

Anyway, that's me talking about me. Enough of that.

TTFN

8/11 - Daily

7am - black coffee

8am - 3 egg scramble, bacon, blueberries

1pm - garden salad with jumbo shrimp

6pm - salad with avocado, tomato, cucumber, turkey

--

Pretty simple food day today. Lots of salad and various greenery, with a bit of protein scattered about.

8/12 - Daily

8am - black coffee, 2 eggs fried in coconut oil, 2 strips of bacon, handful of blackberries

noon - pork chops, small greek salad

8pm - thick cut pork chop, cole slaw, onions, coffee, small bit of homemade ice cream. Not all #primal!

8/13 - Daily

I'm fasting till dinner today, which should mean a 22 hour fast since last night. Got pretty darn hungry at about 16 hours into it, but at 20 hours that hunger has resolved itself into more of a dull sensation. It's interesting to self-observe, and to think about how many people routinely miss meals for one reason or another. It sure gives you an appreciation for luxury of regular meals!

--

I should have taken a picture of an empty plate this morning to show my primal breakfast. Heh.

8/13 continued...

Finally broke my 20 hour fast with dinner:

1/2 pound steak, prawns, big ass salad, stir fried mushroom, onions, etc. It felt really great to enjoy a good meal tonight.

Weekend Update

Finally made it back into the gym yesterday after about a week layoff. Felt so good to lift again, but really struggled after. The 44lb kettlebell workout really punched me in my core!

After working out, went to a couple different beaches on the Oregon coast and just walked for fun. Half play, half casual exercise, and a really good time overall.

Diet has been remaining about 80%, with some IF, and some cheats in about equal measure. Psychologically speaking, I clearly haven't quite committed to *really* going full #primal. But, I feel great and feel great about how we're doing overall. Our life balance is good.

Sunday, 8/16

9am Breakfast:

Egg scramble with tomatoes and a few slices of bacon and coffee. Snacked on blueberries, blackberries, and a handful of unroasted mixed nuts till dinner.

8pm Dinner:

Beef roast, with farmers' market fare: fresh beets, beet greens, and corn on the cob. We don't eat much corn, but a bit of organic corn in the summer coming from the farmer's market is okay with us. We also slathered that corn in our homemade butter (from last week). Two small glasses of wine with dinner.

Monday, 8/17

Breakfast:

No breakfast today, other than a couple cups of coffee. Still digesting from last night I suppose!

12 Noon Lunch:

Finally broke my fast today (about 16 hrs) with a tasty salmon and avocado salad. Looking forward to some gym time tonight.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast