Thread: new at primal and eating like a pig! page

SunshineMama is offline Junior Member

new at primal and eating like a pig!

Primal Fuel
    Hi All,

This is my first week on primal and I have just a couple questions. First of all, I am in my early 30's and at a healthy weight. Weight loss isn't a huge goal of mine, though health and fitness IS. I think I am *finally* ( five days in) through most of my detox symptoms, but I am still hungry constantly! I am losing weight ( 6 pounds this week) but eating like crazy. Is this normal? I also have had almost no energy for my work outs.

This was what I ate yesterday:

Breakfast: 1 mug of coffee ( probably 2 cups worth) with a 1/5 cup of cream. Smoothy with a cup full fat coconut milk, a tablespoon almond butter, a cup frozen blueberries, a cup of kale, and water to thin it out.

Snack: a 1/4 cup of raw trail mix (dried cranberries and nuts)

Lunch: Two fried eggs, 2 cups of broccoli with butter, an apple

Snack: a cup cold chicken

Dinner: FOUR chicken drumsticks ( cheapest organic meat I could get enough of for the week) and half a pound of asparagus grilled with coconut oil.

Dessert: Banana and almond butter. Herbal tea with heavy cream ( didn't measure).

Late night snack: the other 1/2 pound of grilled asparagus in coconut oil. ( as an aside, we are grilling like crazy and wrapping veggies in foil with oil and salt, then tossing them on the grill with our meat, is my favorite thing now).

Does this look like too much? I am new at this and definitely don't know all the rules yet, so if it looks like I need to tweak something please let me know.

Dann is offline Member
    You're not really eating that much (calorie wise), bruv (you're just eating a lot of meals). if you're hungry eat more. don't fear zah carbs

Estimations:

bf: 450
    s1:150

L:500
    s2:200

d:650
    d:350

lns:120

didn't add it, but it's like 2400, right? assuming you're like 5'10 170 - yeah i see why your hungry. esp. w/ the training you do.
    Last edited by Dann; 03-14-2014 at 02:59 PM.

VickiV is offline Junior Member
    This is your first week and you've lost 6 pounds?! I've been at it for several weeks and have not lost an ounce. Not that I'm terribly overweight but I would LOVE to lose 6 pounds. (more like 10). Feeling energetic enough most of the time, haven't really had a lot of trouble dropping the grains, etc. nor have I experienced a lot of hunger. Working out but need to do more. Still you would think I would have lost SOME weight.
    Also, I have a question about the suggestions for weight loss in Primal Blueprint. The book talks about figuring BMR and Activity Factor according to bmi-calcutor.net and the Harris Benedict formula. The multiplying factors that Mark uses in the book are vastly different from the ones given on the website. This makes a huge difference in calories needed. Not sure what to do.

Dann is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VickiV View Post
    This is your first week and you've lost 6 pounds?! I've been at it for several weeks and have not lost an ounce. Not that I'm terribly overweight but I would LOVE to lose 6 pounds. (more like 10). Feeling energetic enough most of the time, haven't really had a lot of trouble dropping the grains, etc. nor have I experienced a lot of hunger. Working out but need to do more. Still you would think I would have lost SOME weight.
    Also, I have a question about the suggestions for weight loss in Primal Blueprint. The book talks about figuring BMR and Activity Factor according to bmi-calcutor.net and the Harris Benedict formula. The multiplying factors that Mark uses in the book are vastly different from the ones given on the website. This makes a huge difference in calories needed. Not sure what to do.
    don't forget,
    prolly water from going low carb. still 6 is a lot

my fav weightloss article tho
    Setting the Deficit - Small, Moderate or Large | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

guitarfan85 is offline Senior Member
    Eat more meat

Tracking everything on MFP. Following recommended amounts of protein and fat, less than 80g carbs. NO grains, legumes, processed foods (did have a few tortilla chips one day). Getting frustrated.

SunshineMama is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the input guys, I will try adding more meat and upping my water intake. It's crazy because I feel like I'm eating all the time compared to how I usually eat! My husband was laughing his butt off at me last night as I inhaled a whole pack of chicken legs lol.

VickiV - stick with it! I heard for some people it takes a month or more to adjust! I think I might have had a food allergy or intolerance that I wasn't aware of before this week. Glad I know, but I wasn't prepared to drop so much weight so fast.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you are doing just fine! Yes, def eat to hunger.

You are replenishing your body with nutrients. Most of the weight loss in the first week or so is water weight.

Thanks SunshineMama I will stick with it for he health benefits of getting rid of the grains and junk even if I don't lose weight. Good luck to you!