Thread: Craving carbs. Why?? page

jenna is offline Senior Member

Craving carbs. Why??

My craving for carbs has gone a little crazy this week. Not for junk food, but for all things veggie and fruit, to the exclusion of protein and fat. I'm trying to lose weight and carbs generally cause me to balloon up. All I can think about is fruit (mainly bananas and strawberries) and veggies (cucumber, asparagus,eggplant,peppers, sweet potatoes). I've been primal for over a year and fairly low carb (about 50g a day) since September. Why the sudden carb attack?

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Stay low carb most of the time, but maybe do an occasional refeed meal or day with nontoxic carbs like rice or fruit. The body doesn't need a ton of carbs but it does sometimes need some.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Hannakb is offline Senior Member
    Cause your body needs it?
    Idk, maybe up too 100g of carb a day in the form of veggies and fruit and see if the cravings stop.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

TQP
    TQP is online now Senior Member
    "Balloon up" as in water weight? Fruit doesn't make you fat unless you are eating it on top of the calories you normally eat.

Yes, generally water weight in the short term. But unfortunately once I start eating higher carb my appetite increases as well and I start craving less healthy carbs and more junk along the lines of bread, cookies, and cake. That's when the real weight starts creeping back up. The only way I've found to keep it in check is by limiting carbs.

Hannakb is offline Senior Member
    http://robbwolf.com/2014/02/20/femal...ates-hormones/

Thought this was interesting

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Go ahead, eat them (they sound healthy enough to me, I eat those every day). Maybe you can restrict carb eating to the evening then, if you're afraid of weight gain or whatever.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannakb View Post
    Robb Wolf - Females, Carbohydrates, and Hormones

Thought this was interesting

I crave carbs the week before and at the beginning of my period, it's like clockwork. The carb cravings are even worse if I've been particularly physically active. I had really wacky periods when I was experimenting with VLC, and I'm pretty sure my thyroid is jacked up now, so that article makes a lot of sense. But yeah, random mega carb craving usually means hormones for me. My sushi indulgence almost always ends up being during that week, what a coincidence :P

That's a great article. I'm not quite ready to consistently bump up my carbs but I am going to try carb cycling and see if it helps. Thank you!!

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you increase carb intake, the cravings should cease. Bread, cake, cookies, etc will lead to weight gain, but fruit won't.

The appetite increase for carbs is normal if one has been LC for awhile. I experienced the same, as well as increased appetite for meat following many years of vegetarianism. It levels off once your body gets enough.