Thread: Poison chicken page

Sigmoid is offline Senior Member

Thumbs down Poison chicken

Shop Now
    This is a cautionary tale that a chicken is not always a chicken (by any other name).

I was at the ShopRite, and bagged a large, oven roaster hen from Perdue farms. Foil packed, not frozen. Now I've had some weird experiences with Perdue farms chicken before, I once got an upset stomach after eating some fattier parts, which is weird as I love chicken skin, and practically grew up on drumsticks.

Now yesterday I roasted the bird, and ate a drumstick and some spare skin. Enter the posion part. I woke up bloated, threw up several times, had diarrhea that smelled like long-dead roadkill with a highly offensive chicken fat odor. There were some points during the day when I felt like calling the ambulance. Thankfully by eating some mashed turnips, drinking water and taking some carbo activatus pills, I brought myself back in the land of the living, but I'm still feeling quite sick.

I have no bloody idea what the Perdue people feed those bloody chickens, but I'm sure it's nothing to write home about. I'll NEVER buy that shit again, and neither should you. It's literally poison chicken.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    That's terrible. I very rarely eat chicken these days and when I do it's only breast meat, thoroughly cooked. I also get organic. I realize it doesn't mean much, but still a step up from Perdue and Tyson.

The symptoms you describe kind of sound like salmonella poisoning. Was your chicken cooked long enough? Unlike beef, chicken and pork require thorough cooking in order to be safe to consume.

Then, maybe you got a sick chicken, or one that's been dead for a while before being processed. No surprise there. After seeing Food Inc. some years ago I was appalled by the disgusting conditions the birds live in and what they are being fed.
    Last edited by Graycat; 03-13-2014 at 03:46 PM.

eats.meats.west is offline Senior Member
    Sadly the state of industrial chicken production is a complete disaster. They sell Salmonella ridden birds to the public with recommended temperatures to kill the pathogens, and yet those temps apparently weren't working with the recent Foster Farms chicken outbreak.

I try to buy local organic birds only and frankly cooked the $()#)# out of them. If they say cook to 165F, I'd go to 190F. Better yet eat less chicken.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    meh on organic birds. i too rarely eat chicken but a few months back a new whole foods opened and they were offering a special on their cooked organic birds -- whole only $5. was way past point of being starving so bought one. the texture was weird so i ate about 1/3 and threw the rest away.

it was all i had eaten for over 36 hours and i was hella sick for almost 3 days. the bird tried to kill me for sure. blech.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

glorth2 is offline Senior Member

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eats.meats.west View Post
    Sadly the state of industrial chicken production is a complete disaster. They sell Salmonella ridden birds to the public with recommended temperatures to kill the pathogens, and yet those temps apparently weren't working with the recent Foster Farms chicken outbreak.
    The problem is likely not that the recommended temperatures weren't working. More likely it was that people did not consistently cook to temperature, and when they prepared the raw poultry they did not properly sanitize everything it touched. So the contamination could have spread to just about anything in their kitchen.

My poultry preparation standards:
    1. Wash or sanitize everything immediately after handling the poultry;
    2. Pressure cook the heck out of it.

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    So you got food poisoning, which was probably your fault, and you blame chicken.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Sigmoid is offline Senior Member
    Well, yes, it was probably my fault that I bought the chicken, and used the recommended baking temperature. Even so, I baked it much longer than it was suggested, but apparently it still wasn't enough to kill whatever was in it.

For the record, I do not take sanitizing the kitchen lightly at all.

And even if it didn't give me food poisoning, the fat of the Perdue chickens is highly disagreeable. It smells wrong (I remember my grandmother telling me as a kid that if a chicken "smells like chicken", then it's already gone bad), and is apparently composed mostly of PUFAs, as it was almost liquid even after refrigeration.)

Drock is offline Member
    Glad to hear that you're doing better.
    I came to Primal/Paleo first to lose weight, but kept up because of the way I feel - amazing.

34/male 5'-5"
    Starting: 249#, 44" waist
    Current: 170#, 32" waist
    Goal: 140ish# or 28ish" waist